Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

Which Tele is More Sonically Versatile?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Oakville Dave, Apr 29, 2012.

1. Oakville Dave

Oakville Dave Friend of Leo's

I've got my eye on a few used Teles, the FENDER CLASSIC 72 TELECASTER CUSTOM, the FENDER THINLINE TELECASTER '72 REISSUE, or the FENDER DLX DELUXE TELECASTER with P90's. They're all priced within $50 of each other.

I have several "standard" pickup configuration Teles, and an Aerodyne Tele. I'm looking to grab a guitar that fills in the sonic holes in the herd!

Attached Files:

2. Andy Summers

Andy Summers Friend of Leo's

My vote for the classic 72...though Im not a fan of the WRHB..but just one in the neck can be useful..just my 2 cents ;)

3. dough

dough TDPRI Member

I've got to say that the wide range HB in the classic series is a little too muddy for my taste, but I've heard that the Japanese reissues do a more faithful job of creating the Seth Lover's 70s wide range HB.

But the '72 Custom looks soooooo good.

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. Camplain

Camplain Tele-Holic

I think I'd go with the thinline, from your post it doesn't sound like you have anything with 2 buckers.... I've heard people aren't very impressed with the WR humbuckers in the RI's but haven't had the chance to hear them... you may love them though... if not you can always throw in whatever buckers you like best and you'll surely have some new sonic ground covered.... I started to say go for the p90's, but your Aerodyne still has one in the neck I guess.... and personally that Strat headstock is a turnoff... love them on Strats, but not on Teles.... I think if it were me I'd get the thinline and probably throw in something PAF flavored.... or if I had the bucks I'd track down some of the original WR Humbuckers... or perhaps put a p90 in the bridge and a PAF in the neck.... so many options, it's making me want to go out and get a thinline :mrgreen:

6. sjtalon

sjtalon Poster Extraordinaire

Well that's a no brainer...........ya gotta get all three eh !

7. gwjensen

gwjensen Friend of Leo's

The tele bridge pup is totally unique, so you have to have that, IMO. Its really the soul of the tele. I like neck buckers as long as they're not to dark. I have a Lolar El Rayo which is brighter and less midrangy than most buckers I've heard.

8. psyched

psyched Tele-Holic

Thinline is my vote. Its furthest from what you already have, and while some people aren't totally thrilled with the RI WRHB, the Fralin mod, 500k pots, and swapping the neck and bridge pups around may please your ears. I have a RI Thinline and I like it a lot, the vintage frets and neck radius make it a nice player IMO.

9. superbadj

superbadj Friend of Leo's

I have a 72 Custom, and that would be my vote. However, I put a Novak Jazzmaster in the neck position to replace the WRHB.

Huge upgrade.

10. WaylonFan76

WaylonFan76 Poster Extraordinaire

Trad blackguard is about versatile as they come, IMO.

11. idjster

idjster Friend of Leo's

The Custom looks like it could be good, but I think I'd go with the Thinline. It sounds from your post that you don't have anything to fill the sonic spot it might give you. Just my $.02.

12. backporch guy

backporch guy Tele-Afflicted

I would vote for my amber FMT special edition HH. 2 Seymour Duncan humbuckers (Jazz & JB, I think) with a coil tap on the bridge pickup. It twangs, it growls, it snarls, it does about anything you can try to make a solid body electric guitar do, IMO, of course.

13. 73Fender

73Fender Friend of Leo's

If you choose one with a humbucker, seems like Telenator, a member here, has recreated the sound of the 70's WR pickups in his p ups, Great thread here if you look.

14. tele-bastard

tele-bastard Friend of Leo's

I think you will end up playing your copper more... but I have had my eye on a burst custom too.... and of course a natural ash.

15. Oakville Dave

Thanks, but the FMT SE doesn't appeal visually and the 15.75" radius is not in my comfort zone, which is why I didn't add it to the short list.

16. xtrajerry

xtrajerry Doctor of Teleocity

I'm not totally sold on either one but the Deluxe with P90's got my attention.. I haven't been terribly excited with the thinlines I've played over the years, kind of a downer because I always liked the look..

17. drb1346

drb1346 Tele-Afflicted

18. Oakville Dave

This is the problem of only reading the title and not the thread opening post! :D

19. AndrewG

AndrewG Tele-Afflicted

72 Custom would be my choice, but in black.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.