Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

Which Tele do you think is best value for money?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by welsi12, Jun 12, 2011.

1. welsi12

welsi12 TDPRI Member

Jun 12, 2011
    United Kingdom
    So just wanted to see everyones opinions on which fender tele is the best value for money. It can be any model that that is currently being made. E.g. Fender american standard tele.

So go for it! :D

2. KevinB

KevinB Doctor of Teleocity

Mar 4, 2007
    New Jersey
    It really has to be the Squier Classic Vibe 50s.

It isn't the best Tele out there, but for $350 (or less) it is by far the best value.

[​IMG]

3. Urban

Urban Tele-Meister

Apr 2, 2011
    Slovenia
    Japanese 52.

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. mellecaster

mellecaster Former Member

Best Value ?....Probably one that I ReCrafted...Hell, nobody else was gonna say it !......;)

6. tele-bastard

tele-bastard Friend of Leo's

Mar 27, 2011
    Lowell, Mass
    A mexican standard telecaster. I have had the beat out much higher priced american ones.

7. Schtang

Schtang Tele-Meister

Aug 14, 2008
    Sydney
    the American Special - you can't beat the price for an quality USA made Fender

[​IMG]

8. Jeff H

Jeff H Tele-Meister

Mar 29, 2003
    State of Jefferson
    Nashville Deluxe

9. electricjr

electricjr Tele-Holic

Jan 9, 2010
    woodstock, ny
    Until last week I would have said hands down any of the Classic Vibes, but I got a used Mexican standard for $274 shipped in a hard case on Ebay, and the feel and quality of the components and woods (in my opinion) is a good step above the CVs- The neck is also chunkier and has a less heavily applied finish, which I prefer, and the nut seems to be of a better material than the plastic used on CVs. I've also had issues with high and unseated frets on 3 CV necks I've owned. Some may prefer the pickups on the CVs, but nowadays it's pretty easy to find a good set of pickups for $60 or less (especially on the classifieds here). Mine was a particularly great deal, but it's pretty typical to find these MIM standards used for the same price or a little cheaper than a new CV (between $250-$325). And I own 4 squiers, so I'm not ashamed to play them, but I'm always happy to have Fender on the headstock, for what it's worth. The stock 6 saddle bridges on the MIMs are also easier to set up for closer intonation, but they're directly swappable for the vintage 3 barrel type if that's your bag (I did it).

10. paratus

paratus Tele-Afflicted

Dec 2, 2010
    Michigan
    Value? Got to be a '52 RI!

11. Keith Jordan

Keith Jordan TDPRI Member

Jun 12, 2011
    Northern Virginia USA
    It's a tough question because not only do people have different opinions of Squire vs MIM vs MIA and between models, but "best value" is also relative. If you are Bruce Springsteen, paying ten times as much for a 1% improvement is a good value. For me, MIM felt like the best value, since I liked its feel, sound and look as much as MIA, though at some level I wanted MIA for reasons of patriotism/nostalgia/whatever (but not enough to keep me from falling in love with the MIM). I didn't like the Squire feel quite as much, and anyway, I have a quirk about buying guitars made in countries that don't historically play guitar. That reason doesn't make sense to anybody but me, I guess, but in my case, that went into the equation.

12. HOBBSTER01

HOBBSTER01 Friend of Leo's

Nov 23, 2007
    Ringgold, Ga.
  13. jmaul

jmaul Tele-Afflicted

Oct 7, 2008
    Minneapolis.
    I dont like the CV necks, and I already know I'm going to be changing pups, wiring, bridge, and maybe tuners- which means MIM, probably used.

14. XKnight

XKnight Tele-Afflicted

Nov 9, 2007
    Republic of Texas
    The one that you can afford and makes you the happiest.

15. Mark Davis

Mark Davis Telefied

Mar 2, 2003
    Bakersfield Ca.
    The whole CV series.

before that it was the MIM Classics when they first cane out and were $500 but they got overpriced when they went up to $940 in the Feb 09 price hike. They are back to $700 now.

16. Mark Davis

Mark Davis Telefied

Mar 2, 2003
    Bakersfield Ca.
    I thought that same thing when I got my CV's that Id have to change everything to make it a good guitar so far all Ive changed is the strings.

17. Ken Carlson

Ken Carlson Tele-Meister

Jun 2, 2011
    Boise Idaho

Absolutley! Everyones perception of value is different, just like everyones perception of "Tone" is different. But I'm cheap....what do I know.

18. oldmark

oldmark Tele-Meister

Dec 27, 2008
    Berks County, PA
    The partscaster I got in a pawnshop for under $170.

mark

19. MrSoul

MrSoul Tele-Meister

Apr 21, 2009
    Finland
    IMHO it is Squier CV50 among those I have tried.

20. 92Standard

92Standard Tele-Meister

FWIW.....Very happy with my MIA Highway One!!!

21. Stdon

Stdon TDPRI Member

Sep 6, 2010
    Oregon
    After today, I'd have to say that the MIA being superior to a MIM is a myth. I took my two MIM Tele's into my local GC what we ended up doing is as close to a blind comparison as we could on the spur of the moment. We propped my two up with two MIA standard Tele's.
    Several players played the 4 Tele's back to back through a 65RI Twin everything set as close as we could get. All around the players liked the two MIM's better in neck and sound as did the onlookers. All guitars were clean and in standard tune. My standard Ash was the only one that was professionally setup. My Copperburst and the MIA's were off the rack. The necks on the MIA's to me and others were like the finish was not cured properly and tacky while both MIM's were slick and fast. Tone wise the MIA's had a hair more punch in the bottom end but thin elsewhere while the MIM's sounded fuller and brighter.
    Where is all this leading to? I ended up trading my Ash Standard, a travel guitar and a Super Champ and walked out with the 65 RI Twin and my Copperburst. I liked the neck on the Copper just a wee bit more otherwise there wasn't much difference and the $359 I paid for it is that much better.
    Final feelings are that it will be a cold day before I spent $1,700 on a MIA standard new. When the time comes I'll pony up a bit more and get a Shur made Classic T.

These are just my feeling and your mileage may vary.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.