Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

which spkr

Discussion in 'Amp Tech Center' started by tedro, Oct 11, 2017.

1. tedro

tedro Tele-Afflicted

Apr 4, 2010
    7th Galaxy
    i have a nice DR.

i often adjust the treble knob very low...very.
    i like to use the treble knob, but sometimes i wish it went LOWER!

so, question, without changing anything else:
    i bet there's a spkr that will do that?
    (maybe i can even go the other way with the treble knob...more than i usually do. that would be interesting. it's not like i never turn it to 5 either, i have, i will.)

thanks!

2. slider313

slider313 Tele-Holic

Jan 6, 2011
    NC
    Which speaker is in your amp now? Have you tried crossing the amp over to any other speakers? Have you tried disconnecting the bright cap on the Vibrato channel's volume control? If you prefer a speaker with more low end response, then the Celestion Heritage G12H-55hz is the ticket.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 11, 2017

3. waparker4

waparker4 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Nov 9, 2011
    Philadelphia, PA

4. Dacious

Dacious Friend of Leo's

Mar 16, 2003
    Godzone
    That's the G12M Greenback - I wouldn't recommend that for a DR. The G12H maybe. More neutral. I don't think they really suit, any more than a V30 would. Better looking for something more vintage Jensen - Emi Legend for instance.
    download (1).jpg

The real problem is it needs the bright cap clipped.

5. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 2, 2010
    Maine
    No, that was indeed the G12H30 Greenback, (same speaker model as the one you posted a pic of, but the Anniversary is made in China and gets no back) with the 55hz cone for more bass
    There were four different Greenbacks before they changed to kapton VCs and became another horse.

I prefer a British speaker in a Fender amp to remove some of the scoop by adding some mids, which may of may not make the OP happy.

Cutting treble on a Fender BF amp adds mids, or changes the eq to be more middy by reducing highs, so the OP may like a more middy speaker.
    Many players like the Emi GB128 in Fenders amps.
    It would help to know when the OP wants to cut treble below zero (Tele bridge pup?), and what speaker is in the amp now (Jensen reissue?).

Last edited: Oct 11, 2017
    tedro and Mr Green Genes like this.

6. Dacious

Dacious Friend of Leo's

Mar 16, 2003
    Godzone
    The Greenback in my Mini Jubilee is marked 25w . I didn'tt think they were doing the 30w UK model anymore, but it is on the website.

To remove midscoop he'd have to go into the preamp. He mentioned the top end. But yes it'd be good to know what music, presumably it's pretty clean.

7. ranjam

ranjam Tele-Holic

Dec 29, 2015
    Canada

8. tedro

tedro Tele-Afflicted

Apr 4, 2010
    7th Galaxy
    you seem to understand me.

sorry for the long response:
    i just pit the blanket "without changing anything else" because it's use of the treble knob that's MY focus and occasionally wishing, ... that ... it went lower.
    this is handwired amp. no bright caps. i have "spikey" well undercontrol. my most used spkr in it is 12f50b. although now the Emi is in it. they're similar. think i prefer the weber, not sure. i also have an Eminence GA-SC64, and a P12Q or maybe it's a R.

i play fenders mostly (tele/strat), loud jazz/rock i'm already 63. i can crank that thing...next to Marshalls. it's great.

edit: i'd probably be trying to go lower (which by that... 1-2 "works" -- earlier in a set?) but i have definitely experienced a "feeling" of "wishing" it going even just bit lower. everything else is great.

so i'm trying to relate this whole thing to a speaker... seems plausible to me.

people who might relate to being sounding REALLY good... so good you can use the treble knob (on the Fender amp) as a ...like ... a volume. but sometimes i wish it went "1" lower AND that 4or5 on the knob was more like 2or3. i want both, see? i think their different things...one might just be an "aesthetic" thing... nevertheless both should be doable.

a skpr change couid be just the ticket.

i thought Celestions were brighter, no? ... the "b" in my 12f50b (light dope) is for British cone. i love the spkr. the Emi isn't bad. --but they both are what i'm [already] basing my question upon.

bottom line: i want to keep the sound i have now! just want that knob to go lower, make sense?

Last edited: 5 minutes ago
    EditDeleteReport
    #7+ QuoteReply

Last edited: Oct 12, 2017

9. Dacious

Dacious Friend of Leo's

Mar 16, 2003
    Godzone
    Ok - the issue you have in the FMV tone stack is the treble control is also like a master eq. As you turn it down you are also bringing the lid down on the mid and bass. Turning the treble down even if you wind the mid-bass up limits their response. Especially with the BF tonestack, which is already a bit mid-light.

So you could go to a darker speaker. Maybe a Cannabis Rex.

I'd actually recommend a Marshall amp, of vintage hue...... They have plenty of adjustment in treb-mid-bass and presence.

tedro likes this.

10. uriah1

uriah1 Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Feb 12, 2011
    Around
    ET65 has some nice lows on tap also..

tedro likes this.

11. robrob

robrob Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Dec 29, 2012
    United States
    The Cannabis Rex is a very popular speaker for the Deluxe Reverb and its tone should suit you but take a look at its efficiency rating, it may put out less volume than your current speaker.

tedro likes this.

12. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 2, 2010
    Maine
    Yeah I have a C Rex in one amp that is truly too bright and has no tone knobs, just a 4 position EQ switch.
    I hesitate to recommend that spkr because it takes away stuff that I miss.
    But @tedro in post 8 it sounds like maybe it's the right speaker, or at least knowing that you have numerous speakers and are cool with one more to see if it nails your sound.
    Maybe also the Celestion alnico cream would be a good choice, or the perfect choice, if you're not using cheap gear anyhow, what's another $300?
    They have good resale, and I love what the Celestion Gold does where the highs are there but they are less harsh. Not attenuated highs, just nicer sweeter highs.
    The Cream does have attenuated highs, but I suspect the highs are not dulled like the C rex does.

Regarding more mids and the idea of a "bright speaker", mids are bright, but they are lower frequency than treble.
    Cutting treble on a Fender amp doesn't really cut mids, so you end up with a little more mids in the EQ. But "American" speakers have more treble and bass than mids, meaning the amp cuts treble and the American speaker cuts mids.
    So there is a nice fat but not overly bright tone possible if you put a British mid hump speaker in a mid scooped Fender amp, and turn down the treble.
    Worth a try.
    I consider a Celestion gold to be less harsh in the high end than a more American speaker. Bright too though.
    Eh???

tedro likes this.

13. homesick345

homesick345 Poster Extraordinaire

Jan 20, 2012
    Beirut, Lebanon

14. jackal

jackal Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Jun 14, 2010
    mojave desert
    Maybe a larger cap on the tone pot?

tedro likes this.

15. aerhed

aerhed Tele-Holic

Dec 24, 2016
    Boulder, WY
    Why not just change the tone slope resistor? Cheaper than speaker chasing.

tedro likes this.

16. MilwMark

MilwMark Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Apr 29, 2013
    near Arnold's
    If you need to run the treble at 0 and it is still too bright for you, I would say that either there is something wrong with your amp, or you just don't like the DR sound. Speaker chasing is not going to fix that, IMO.

17. tedro

tedro Tele-Afflicted

Apr 4, 2010
    7th Galaxy
    there you go. my dear friend and fender amp tech (RIP) loved the Celestion Golds. i guess i should try one. and yes, nothing wrong with bright, i like bright, too. ;)

thank you.

18. tedro

tedro Tele-Afflicted

Apr 4, 2010
    7th Galaxy
    it's *almost* more of an aesthetic thing, i guess. i think the replies from jackal and aerhed are likely right.
    i just want to turn the treble knob HIGHER. ;)

i love the amp. it KILLS. ...utterly slays......lol.
    definitely nothing wrong with it. :)

Last edited: Oct 12, 2017

19. tedro

tedro Tele-Afflicted

Apr 4, 2010
    7th Galaxy
    thank you all for the responses. i appreciate it!

how about i expand the question just a quick...should be easy...bit?
    --and this will do it for me with this.--

yes, i HAVE listened to lots of tubes.

what would be the, for lack of a better word (feel free to insert better word) darkest 12ax7, that would shine with the treble knob UP? ...or is that not a thing.

...i'm getting too old, but still a data glutton. :|

20. tedro

tedro Tele-Afflicted

Apr 4, 2010
    7th Galaxy
    i bet that could be best answer...gotta try one...still gotta try a C Gold, too.

ok. i "get it."

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.