Which Reissue comes closest to 1955-57 Tele?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by juniormarbles, Jan 9, 2019.

1. juniormarbles

juniormarbles TDPRI Member

After yet another disaster with a mail-order all-original '56 Tele, I am starting to warm up to the idea of a reissue.
    But I am very picky about the neck: it must have a pronounced, beefy, sharp V, not one of those wimpy "V inspired" flat things (I am a thumb-around player, and used to the shape from an original early '57 Strat a friend owns).
    Can anyone tell me at which of the confusingly many editions I should start looking? I am willing to spend a good amount, if the reissue is close to the original.

Thanks in advance,
    JM

2. Telekaster

Telekaster TDPRI Member

I ordered a Fender CS MB '56 Tele to get what I wanted. It worked out perfectly and less money than a vintage one.

3. Tonetele

Tonetele Poster Extraordinaire

i got an email from Fender today with a 50s Telecaster and a sound clip.
    Looks like Fender are selling the 52 re-issuue again but their calling it a 50s Telecaster.
    Curiously they are prig them in Pounds /English. Not relevant to us as we've had the AUD since the 1966.Anyway go to the fender.com site to see.

tonyj likes this.
  4. Andoris

Andoris Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

5. juniormarbles

Last edited: Jan 9, 2019
  6. juniormarbles

What does "MB" on Custom shop guitars stand for?

Has anyone directly compared neck profiles of these reissues with originals of the same period?

Last edited: Jan 9, 2019
  7. rebelwoclue

rebelwoclue Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

8. Greggorios

Greggorios Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

MB=Master Built, John Cruz is a Fender Custom Shop Master Builder. Master built is supposed to be the "creme de la creme" of Custom Shop guitars.

9. Andoris

It also means money de la money lol

10. Telekaster

Telekaster TDPRI Member

Depends, if you get the right one it is not expensive. Many friends buy and sell and search all over the place. Loosing money in that buy & sell. I actually spent less ordering a Masterbuilt.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2019
  11. Telekaster

Telekaster TDPRI Member

The originals are all over the place. I took an original 55 Tele, owned by a friend of mine, to the the MB. The Masterbuilder, Chris Fleming, nailed it in feel, sound and looks. After receiving mine, I have no desire anymore to purchase a pre-CBS Tele.

12. Tony474

Tony474 Poster Extraordinaire

Off-the-wall suggestion: look out for a Fender Japan TL55. Probably as rare in Canada as anywhere else, but I tried one once and it was gorgeous in most respects; however, the neck was much too vee-profiled for my taste. Very pronounced. For that reason and from what you say it would seemingly have suited you perfectly.

soulman969 likes this.
  13. Andoris

Buying strictly new, MasterBuilts are alway going to be the most expensive. I have never seen a CS more than a MB in my life.

14. Andoris

If you want a new, Fender made, to your specifications guitar, you're going to have to spend a lot and buy a CS or MB.

If you are ok with it not being Fender made and from another builder, then there are a lot of option like Danocasters, Ron Kirn, Nachocaster, Gregg Guitats etc(there are more). All make excellent to spec guitars that are essentially boutique Telecasters without the sticker on the headstock.

Unfortunately none of the Fender reissues have V necks except the CS 51 Nocasters of the past couple years, but even those have 6105 frets and 9.5 radius. These are also still blackguard/blondes and not the white blonde/white guards of the era you're looking for.

I live in Ottawa as well and for a Custom Shop, they start at 4200, and Masterbuilt are around 6000. Still less than an actual vintage, and incredible quality for both choices. The non Fender options are around the same price as a Custom Shop Fender. All options for custom built have the downside of "usually" taking a long time to be built and sent, as well as they will be harder to sell if you don't bond with it.

15. bblumentritt

bblumentritt Tele-Afflicted Platinum Supporter

None of them, Junior

Look up Gregg Guitars; he'll build you exactly what you want, and you'll love it. Tell him I said so. When he says, "My years of experience as a player coupled with insanely perfectionist tendencies allow me to create unique, completely hand-crafted guitars with a sound tailored to each individual player's style," he truly means it.

16. juniormarbles

As a previous poster remarked: "All options for custom built have the downside of "usually" taking a long time to be built and sent, as well as they will be harder to sell if you don't bond with it."

Build to order is risky: will the wood resonate?What if the instrument turns out a dud? I would be stuck in this scenario, and therefore prefer a pre-existing instrument.

Back to my question. If it's true, what Andoris said ("Unfortunately none of the Fender reissues have V necks except the CS 51 Nocasters of the past couple years, but even those have 6105 frets and 9.5 radius") then what's left? Would any MB reissue of a mid-1950s Tele at least have a beefy neck, even if it is not a V?

17. Telekaster

Telekaster TDPRI Member

The waiting time with CS MB can be an issue for sure.
    I have 5 MB's which were built to my specs by the same MB. None of them were a dud, actually they turned out as or better as expected. I own vintage Fenders from the 50's and so far no new guitar came as close as these MB guitars. If they don't turn out as expected the MB will make it right.

One of the best mid-50's MB reissues were the limited run of C. Flemings '55 Tele. He actually copied his own '55 Esquire, but added the neck pickup on his MB's. They also made Team Built's of these, but you need to look for the MB version. Chris actually wound the PU's on these.
    I just played a MB 52 Tele made by Dale Wilson which was an outstanding instrument. Big neck but not the usual baseball neck of the '51 Nocasters, which I don't like. I like a good size neck with a soft V, 7.25" radius and vintage frets.

18. juniormarbles

So, do these Masterbuilders you mention issue their guitars under the Fender label, or are they separate boutique brands?

Last edited: Jan 11, 2019
  19. Telekaster

Telekaster TDPRI Member

Fender Custom Shop.
    I actually went there twice first to have him measure the neck on my '56 Strat and a few years later to measure the neck on my friends '56 Tele. I ordered a slab board Strat early last year, I should get it in February. It will be my 6th MB. I am very happy with the Fender CS.
    I own a really great '56 Strat, friends don't understand why I still order guitar since I have in their mind the "holy grail" guitar. I don't believe in a holy grail guitar, I just love guitars. I don't collect to have 'em, I play these guitars. Since I received the first guitar made by Fleming I lost interest to buy vintage guitars. He came so close that >25k$ don't make any sense to me. But I am in a good place I have several vintage guitars and bought when the prices were much lower.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.