Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Which Peavey?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by lineboat, Dec 29, 2017.

1. PBO Blues

PBO Blues Tele-Meister

Jan 15, 2016
    Chatham County, NC
    Yeah, it's not the sexiest thing, I suppose. Just a rock-solid get-er-done workhorse. And therein lies it's beauty.

An entirely appropriate approach!

2. Sconnie

Sconnie Tele-Afflicted

May 1, 2017
    Denver, CO
    Classic 20, what an amazing amp and way better than the 30, it was discontinued because people don't know what's good for them ;)

lineboat likes this.

3. stratofortress

stratofortress Tele-Afflicted

Oct 25, 2011
    Maryland
    I have had my c50 for as long as I can remember. Had a few others but my C50 is my go to amp when playing around..

ampman.jpg

lineboat, SolidSteak and PBO Blues like this.

4. bendercaster

bendercaster Tele-Holic

Sep 20, 2011
    Sacramento
    I hope you like the Delta 210. My band mate has one and I think it sounds great. It is very full sounding.

lineboat likes this.

5. Henry Mars

Henry Mars Tele-Holic

Jan 17, 2014
    Bucks Co. PA
    Back in the day it was supposed to be a high end stereo (hi-fi) speaker. It was never intended for guitar amps. I think Peavey just bought the name and manufactures a cheap speaker in China and use that name .... they are crap. aIf Peavey keeps making stuff in China I'm liable to start buying Penn amps. Never heard of them? Try one out they are fantastic amps .... made here and priced right.
    Hartley needs to rethink id business plan.

6. Tele-beeb

Tele-beeb Tele-Afflicted

Apr 2, 2012
    The Bluegrass
    Here's why the "made in" makes a difference "to some people"

The price will eventually be what the market will bear.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2018

7. SolidSteak

SolidSteak Friend of Leo's

Apr 27, 2016
    USA
    Rethink his business model?! Surely you are joking? If Hartley Peavey started making hand made tube amps at $2,000 a pop like that Pennalizer 35 watt combo, he would go out of business. People who buy Peavey amps aren't looking to shell out $2,000 for a 35 watt combo, no matter how awesome it is.

8. lineboat

lineboat Friend of Leo's

Aug 6, 2012

I had a 1974 Super Reverb like that. Heavy and awkward, but Super Clean and Super Loud. It didn’t see much use, but it was enjoyable when it did see some play time. One of my dads buddies is kind of a collector, and has a place to keep it on display and actually use it some, so I sold it to him.

9. Clarkj734

Clarkj734 Tele-Meister

Nov 24, 2015
    Bloomfield Hills, MI
    Exactly my point. The market wouldn't bear $1,000+ for a Peavey Classic 30, in my opinion. Right or wrong the Peavey name is snubbed by a lot of folks who view them as "lesser than" other major brands.

The market will bear a reasonably priced / affordable Peavey, and there target market is not the Boutique / Hand Wired crowd.

To clarify my point, I own far eastern built amps, I also own US made amps. I have PCB, and Hand Wired.

I don't look down on an amp built in China, just because its built in China.

PBO Blues likes this.

10. Wrong-Note Rod

Wrong-Note Rod Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Mar 4, 2009
    atlanta

In Atlanta, back in the day, there was an often heard saying in bands:

If you say your band is working, and you dont use ANYTHING by Peavey.... you're lying about one or the other.

In the 80s and 90s, PV was everywhere here, every working band had at least one thing by PV. Built like tanks, affordable, always worked. There was an old rack mount PA amp, the CS line, those things were everywhere here. I still have one that works!

Clarkj734 and lineboat like this.

11. PBO Blues

PBO Blues Tele-Meister

Jan 15, 2016
    Chatham County, NC
    Mississippi Marshall.
    (It had to be said.)

Last edited: Jan 4, 2018
    Tele-beeb and lineboat like this.

12. lineboat

lineboat Friend of Leo's

Aug 6, 2012
    I remember as a kid, every little country church around had Peavey stuff sitting around or hanging from the ceiling. Most of them still use the same stuff too.

13. lineboat

lineboat Friend of Leo's

Aug 6, 2012
    Tracking shows it on the truck for delivery. Tonight is window rattling time!

tomas83 and Wrong-Note Rod like this.

14. noah330

noah330 Friend of Leo's

Feb 10, 2009
    Maryland
    Kia is selling a car for about $50,000 or something. I have no idea how good a car it is but I would guess most people won't want to pay 50k for a car advertised by hamsters.

There's a reason why Toyota makes a Lexus, Nissan makes Infiniti, etc....

lineboat likes this.

15. ebb soul

ebb soul Poster Extraordinaire

Jun 7, 2016
    Smyrna georgia
    I don't know how this went to hampsters. Truely I don't.

lineboat likes this.

16. noah330

noah330 Friend of Leo's

Feb 10, 2009
    Maryland
    Those stupid commercials. My brother in law bought a Kia. It's a car by Hasbro or something and the hamster ads with no words. I think they're probably decent transportation but I wouldn't pay $50,000 for the top of the line one because for that money you have a lot more options.

Kind of reminds me of Peavey in the way that when I was a kid everyone and their brother had Peavey gear because it was cheap and reliable. Pretty much all of those kids moved up to something different after a while.

I have never thought of the American made Peavey gear as being junk. That stuff lasts. Having said that I never wished I had the classic toanz of a TKO or Bandit. I did have a black and silver 4x10 Classic (IIRC) that sounded really nice. I sold it and got a BF Super Reverb once I saved a little money. I never missed it.

Peavey tried to make a high end map for a while. The Masterpiece 50 was about $2500 and sounded kind of Dumble-ish. The deal was nobody wanted to pay $2500 for a brand that people associated with PA gear and practice boxes - no matter how reliable.

Here's a used one for $3500 because it's clear (you can see the build quality) but you can get these for under $1,000 usually.

https://reverb.com/item/106057-one-of-a-kind-peavey-masterpiece-50-custom-clear

I guess that what I'm saying is I wouldn't have paid a premium for Peavey or Laney back then whereas I may for Marshall or Fender or something.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2018

17. jwp333

jwp333 Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Jul 17, 2013
    Richmond, VA
    I say this as a Peavey owner since I bought my first amp. a Backstage, in 1980. I have an Encore 65 ( my first tube amp), a Sensation (one of those boutique amps), and a Vypyr as a practice amp. They are all good amps for their purpose. But they are not "cool" like a Fender or Mesa Boogie or a Marshall or a Vox. The association with Eddie Van Halen may have helped some with this public perception, but it still exists.

18. Wrong-Note Rod

Wrong-Note Rod Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Mar 4, 2009
    atlanta
    the Backstage was the amp I used in my art school band. Fun little thing, pretty good hard rock sound out of such a small amp.

Things were simpler then. We stuck a mic in front of it and put it into the PA and that was the end of it. I dont think any one of us had a pedal.

the art school girlies dug it anyway.

lineboat and PBO Blues like this.

19. PBO Blues

PBO Blues Tele-Meister

Jan 15, 2016
    Chatham County, NC
    And what's really important, after all?

lineboat and Wrong-Note Rod like this.

20. Veltek

Veltek Tele-Holic

Sep 17, 2016
    Blues country
    Contact that guy. Maybe he'll ship it?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.