Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Which Peavey?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by lineboat, Dec 29, 2017.

1. Clarkj734

Clarkj734 Tele-Meister

Nov 24, 2015
    Bloomfield Hills, MI
    This is what I wondering. I had never heard of the Stephens until I heard that Peavey was using them.

But, the Peavey website still states Celestion Midnight as the speaker in the Classic 30. Musicians Friends description still states Blue Marvel, but the pictures on the site show a Stephens speaker.

2. lineboat

lineboat Friend of Leo's

Aug 6, 2012
    No matter what speaker it is, I️m gonna play it awhile and get the feel of it. If it needs a speaker swap that’s ok. I’ve had other amps that folks thought had terrible speakers, but I had no problem with them. I️’m hoping for the best!

tomas83 likes this.

3. gitlvr

gitlvr Friend of Leo's

Aug 18, 2008
    Northern Va.
    Best Peavey tube amp i ever owned was an old Peavey Triumph 60 head. Three channels; Clean, Crunch, and Ultra. Played it for about 15 years, till one day while jamming at a party at a friend's house, she began to smoke and cut out.
    Sad to see her go.

4. PBO Blues

PBO Blues Tele-Meister

Jan 15, 2016
    Chatham County, NC
    Found a '91 Classic 50 410 a few months ago. Love it! Original Blue Marvels sound just fine for my needs (which is good because four quality replacement speakers wouldn't be cheap). Keep an eye on Craigslist and you should be able to find this series for around $400.

Peavy Classic 50.jpg

Last edited: Jan 3, 2018
    Fiesta Red, Tele-beeb and lineboat like this.

5. ebb soul

ebb soul Poster Extraordinaire

Jun 7, 2016
    Smyrna georgia
    For a classic Peavey, get an older one. Hadda 50-4-10 for years, it beat out a hotrod 4-10 by a mile.
    The newer ones are not as good, don't know why.
    I should have never got rid of mine, but it sponsored my lust for a blackface at the time.

6. Wrong-Note Rod

Wrong-Note Rod Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Mar 4, 2009
    atlanta
    I had the C30 with a celestion in it for years and lost count of the number of gigs I did with it.
    You could drag that thing behind a truck to the gig and I bet it would still fire up and play the whole show.

Eventually I sold it and used the money to fund a Fender Deluxe, in my poor old mind, sounded better to me... especially for straight up old school twang. (was in a band doing that).

I still have a big-ass Peavey Classic 50, with the single big-ass 15". Sounds unbelievable with a Tele but I only use it for recording.

If you feel like dragging something like that around town, by all means, you can find them cheap. I got mine for 100bucks.

lineboat likes this.

7. Veltek

Veltek Tele-Holic

Sep 17, 2016
    Blues country
    If it matters, there's a USA made classic 30 with a Weber speaker for sale in my area :p.

They're also selling an extension cabinet.

https://memphis.craigslist.org/msg/d/1984-peavey-classic-30-ex/6408706738.html

lineboat likes this.

8. PBO Blues

PBO Blues Tele-Meister

Jan 15, 2016
    Chatham County, NC
    Yeah, there's that. And I suspect my 410 version is even heavier. Stays at the house while the grab-and-go Blues Jr gets to ride in the truck. The Peavey's a true beast to carry around, so I don't.

lineboat and Wrong-Note Rod like this.

9. PBO Blues

PBO Blues Tele-Meister

Jan 15, 2016
    Chatham County, NC

10. ebb soul

Jun 7, 2016
    Smyrna georgia
    FYI, I found the classic 50 sounded more like 30, watts, and a 30 is only barely twice as loud as say, my ac4 watter.
    I other words, get the 50 for headroom.
    Put it this way, I traded the Classic 50 4-10 for a 50 watt Rivera, which was easily twice as loud., with three less speakers.

lineboat likes this.

11. ricknbaker

ricknbaker Tele-Holic

Nov 12, 2014
    Watford, UK
    Classic 30 combo + 1x12 closed back extension cab. Rehearsals and small gigs I just take the combo, when I want to be louder, I take the cab too. Overdrive channel improves if you turn up the mids, it starts t cut through mix. At least, it does on this recording of our last gig that I'm listening to. Stock speakers (Blue Marvel and Sheffield) in my rig. Can't be arsed to change them. It would be nice if the clean channel had its own tone control like on my little Blackstar, but I can live without it.

I have a mate with a Classic 50 - much bigger and heavier, I wouldn't fancy lugging one of those around. Neither does he.

lineboat likes this.

12. ebb soul

Jun 7, 2016
    Smyrna georgia
    Well, yeah, the idea thing would be a Classic 50 head, wouldn't it?
    I once got stabbed in the chest by the peavey logo, hefting the 4-10 around.
    Its knifelike pointy.

lineboat and PBO Blues like this.

13. PBO Blues

PBO Blues Tele-Meister

Jan 15, 2016
    Chatham County, NC
    +1 on this. My 15W Jr keeps up with my Classic 50, but without the clean headroom. I will cop to switching the Classic's combo's speakers to the 8ohm output and that does tame the beast a bit, but I like the mellower sound. (A whole 'nother conversation.)

14. SolidSteak

SolidSteak Tele-Afflicted

Apr 27, 2016
    USA
    Holy crap! Is that it in the picture? That looks brand new.

I've always wanted a Peavey Classic 410, but I just don't want to have to lift it :D

lineboat likes this.

15. PBO Blues

PBO Blues Tele-Meister

Jan 15, 2016
    Chatham County, NC
    Yes, that's it, but the picture belies its overall appearance. It has its share of minor road rash, but just enough to give it some well deserved street cred. It's worn just perfectly for me.

And lifting it is no problem, because I don't.

lineboat and SolidSteak like this.

16. Wrong-Note Rod

Mar 4, 2009
    atlanta

yup, my daze of lifting ball busting hernia enducing amps are well over. I remember when I dragged that Peavey Classic 50 down into my studio, hooked it up, turned it up and was pleased. I looked that amp straight in the eye and said, "I hope you like this spot because you are never moving from here."

17. PBO Blues

PBO Blues Tele-Meister

Jan 15, 2016
    Chatham County, NC
    When this Classic 50 hit my radar I did a fair amount of quick "research" on the ol'e interwebs. I saw this comment a lot. Many had. Many sold. Many regretted. Probably what ultimately made me pull the trigger.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2018
    lineboat likes this.

18. bo

bo Friend of Leo's

Mar 17, 2003
    Arlington, VA
    Personally I always thought the Delta Blues with the 15 inch speaker was just about perfect. The only reason I don't have one is that I was gifted an ancient C30 that I have few complaints about and is close to the same amp. I just add a pedal for the wobble effect.

lineboat and PBO Blues like this.

19. PBO Blues

PBO Blues Tele-Meister

Jan 15, 2016
    Chatham County, NC
    HA!!! I suspect that you had to look it straight in the eye. You couldn't straighten back up after lugging it down the steps. o_O

lineboat, Wrong-Note Rod and gitlvr like this.

20. Wrong-Note Rod

Mar 4, 2009
    atlanta
    BWAHAHAHAHA!

funny thing about that amp.... I've had several guitar players over since then, to record tracks or jam or rehearse or whatever. Only ONE guy (Fearless) had the guts to try it. I suppose he is aptly named.

All the others were either scared of it or just went straight for the marshall-fender stuff.

It is a freakin loud as hell amp. The wife will testify to that. Generally I turn it up and then leave the room, close the door, and listen to it via the echo return from the DAW.

Fiesta Red and lineboat like this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.