Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Which Peavey?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by lineboat, Dec 29, 2017.

1. lineboat

lineboat Friend of Leo's

Aug 6, 2012
    The new ones are supposed to have the Stephens speakers. They are supposedly an upgrade, and stop the “flub”. We will know for sure next week.

tomas83 likes this.

2. Telecasterless

Telecasterless Tele-Afflicted

Jan 29, 2011
    los angeles
    The one in my post is from 70s or 80s. It's an older one

3. tomas83

tomas83 Tele-Holic

Hey Lineboat let us know how you liking the DB. I’m not too worried that you didn’t pick the JCA2112RC yet ;). If you get to try one, you might return the DB. I played the older version, the 210 and it sure was good but nowhere near as good as the Jet City. Also people say they are having problems with clean sound on the Jet City, but sien my Predator it sure sounds a lot like Fender when I crank the master and turn down the preamp so not sure what the problem is.

lineboat likes this.

4. Danjabellza

Danjabellza Tele-Afflicted

Sep 22, 2014
    Pahrump, nv
    The classic 30 would be my vote. I loved mine. It’s big enough to play with a drummer, but small enough that it’d be ok for bedroom/quieter use.

5. Henry Mars

Henry Mars Tele-Holic

Jan 17, 2014
    Bucks Co. PA
    Well I have been using my C30 a lot .... I like it a lot but it needs another speaker. This thing covers most of what I play. Tonight is a special case and I'm using 2 Ampeg GVT15's.
    Nothing wrong with a C30, DB or C50 .... how loud do you want to be? With the right speaker the C30 gets very loud ... thinking CREX or something in that vane .... works well for what I play. YMMV. Blackstar has a few killer amps but it depends on the sound you want. Not crazy about Marshall.

6. jaybones

jaybones Tele-Afflicted

Since you've already had a C30 and loved it, why not go back to a known commodity, especially if you had the OD pedal you liked?

7. jvin248

jvin248 Friend of Leo's

Apr 18, 2014
    Near Detroit, MI

Prices are going up on these in the used market, for good reason.

rickthescot likes this.

8. lineboat

lineboat Friend of Leo's

Aug 6, 2012
    You’re right, the Jet City does sound good. A local store used to carry them, and they were crazy cheap for what they were, and brand new to boot. I️’m gonna give the Peavey a go though, and see how it turns out.

tomas83 likes this.

9. Tele-beeb

Tele-beeb Tele-Afflicted

Apr 2, 2012
    The Bluegrass
    The Delta Blues is a great amp... and great choice.

Fiesta Red and lineboat like this.

10. hotrodkid

hotrodkid Tele-Holic

Mar 19, 2011
    South Florida
    Last year I bought a NOS C30 of the latest version, USA made with Blue Marvel speaker. I had several other C30's throughout the years, older versions. Personally I think this newer version is less honky and better sounding when turned up. I also like I can now footswitch, channels, reverb, boost and the effects loop. My buddy just snagged the same amp NOS after hearing mine. I swapped a few different speakers in/out of it and it only gets better.

11. hotrodkid

hotrodkid Tele-Holic

Mar 19, 2011
    South Florida
    Also the C30's with the Stephens and the Celestion are made in China if that matters to you. The price came down about $100. Still a few NOS USA versions floating around.

12. Clarkj734

Clarkj734 Tele-Meister

Nov 24, 2015
    Bloomfield Hills, MI
    Thanks. Yes I know they are made in China now, and that doesnt mattet to me personally. Certainly not at the C30 / DB price range.

I've just noticed a lot of discrepancy on the speaker, even the Peavey website doesn't seem to know.

13. lineboat

lineboat Friend of Leo's

Aug 6, 2012
    They’re not Meridian Made anymore?!

14. Clarkj734

Clarkj734 Tele-Meister

Nov 24, 2015
    Bloomfield Hills, MI
    Nope. Haven't been for a few years.

My understanding is that the facility in China is Peavey's own factory. But, they are definitely made in China.

15. Sparky2

Sparky2 Tele-Holic

Apr 15, 2017
    Harvest, Alabama
    I'm going to open myself up for some harsh criticism, and this may cost me my street cred, but here goes;

I'm going to recommend the Peavey Vypyr VIP 2.
    It's a solid-state modeling amp, a 1 x 12 combo, and offers 40 watts of power.

Cons
    It's not a tube amp, and so the purist amp snobs are gonna treat you like you are a heretic and a pariah.

Pros
    Great tone.
    Incredibly versatile.
    Loud as you want to be.
    Unbelievable array of quality effects.
    Really nice amp modeling choices, and they are impressively close to the real McCoys.
    It has settings that allow you to play solid body electrics thru it, acoustic electrics, and bass guitar as well.
    Easy to use.
    and, saving the best for last
    It's insanely light-weight. (Half the weight of my other amps, easily.)

Okay lads.
    Fire away.
    Give me the grief now.

I can take all your hits and still survive.
    (I lost my ego and all self-esteem in the divorce years ago.)

:(

[​IMG]

rickthescot and lineboat like this.

16. lineboat

lineboat Friend of Leo's

Aug 6, 2012
    Well flip.

17. lineboat

lineboat Friend of Leo's

Aug 6, 2012
    Hey, I have one of those! It is surprising for an SS amp. I take it on the river with me. I usually leave an amp on the boat when I come home, and rotate them once a year or so. That’s one of the ones in that rotation!

18. Clarkj734

Clarkj734 Tele-Meister

Nov 24, 2015
    Bloomfield Hills, MI
    Personally... The made in China thing doesn't bother me, in the price range. If Peavey had continued to manufacture in the US they woulf have had to raise prices significantly.

Richie-string likes this.

19. Richie-string

Richie-string Tele-Meister

It doesn't bother me either. My Vox AC4c1 is made in China and is a great little amplifier. It would be twice the price if it was made in the UK which would have significantly priced it above my budget.

20. Henry Mars

Henry Mars Tele-Holic

Jan 17, 2014
    Bucks Co. PA
    You can keep the Stephens Tru-Sonic speaker in my C30 ... besides not liking the sound I have had one burn up in my amp. The Blue Marvel was a much better speaker. IMHO the real weak point in this amp is the speaker that ships with it. For a few bucks more they could ship it with a suitable Eminence Speaker. Idon't know what they were thinking. The drive channel is weak but I never use the drive channel on any of my amps anyway so it doesn't matter. It is a good sounding and versatile amp for the money. It really sounds good with 6BQ5 NOS PWR tubes.

ole6string likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.