Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Which Peavey?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by lineboat, Dec 29, 2017.

1. lineboat

lineboat Friend of Leo's

Aug 6, 2012
    I was on the search for a Fender amp, but I think I wanna go the Peavey route. I had a Classic 30 for a long time, and really liked it. Played it until it literally caught on fire one day. It was replaced with a Vox, and I’ve been content with it up until this Fender desire lately. I almost pulled the trigger on a Vibrolux, then the Peavey thought hit me. I liked the cleans on it, it was loud enough, and it had nice crunch. I’m thinking that’s the route to go.

My dilemma is, another C30, a C50, or one of the Delta Blues? It’ll be played in the house, in a garage for practices, and some small gigs, sometimes indoors, sometimes outside. We have a drummer, bass player, a great guitarist, and then there’s me.
    Which Peavey do you all prefer?

Stubee likes this.
  2. Jimmy Owen

Jimmy Owen Tele-Meister

Apr 2, 2017
    Moravian Falls, NC
    Hi Lineboat,
    I have owned and gigged a delta blues for most of this century. I dig the 15” speaker and the smooth overdrive.

I’ve had a few amps in my life. To my ear, the Peavy sounds more British than my Fenders or my Musicman. And maybe that is why I like it?

lineboat likes this.
  3. tomas83

tomas83 Tele-Holic

From those 3 I’d go with DB probably 210 version. But honestly, that was before I played and bought my Jet City. I bought the JCA2112RC for $160 and I’m just loving it...

3-Chord-Genius and lineboat like this.
  4. TimothyC

TimothyC Tele-Afflicted

May 12, 2016
    California
    I loved the old classic 30 I had. Boxy and fat sounding but easily modded. Perfect features list, gain channel was meh at best though.

lineboat likes this.
  5. lineboat

lineboat Friend of Leo's

Aug 6, 2012
    I kinda thought it was a little boxy too, but it didn’t bother me. The gain channel wasn’t the best, but I was using a Blues Driver, and it had some great tones with it!

TimothyC likes this.
  6. lineboat

lineboat Friend of Leo's

Aug 6, 2012
    So how’re the cleans on it? Pedal friendly?
    I️m kinda leaning that way just for something different, or maybe the 2-10” version. Is there a lot of difference in them?

7. TimothyC

TimothyC Tele-Afflicted

May 12, 2016
    California
    Of those choices, I'd get another classic 30. I'm not terribly fond of newer peaveys, mine was an early 90s with new tubes, speaker and reverb tank swap. Great amp, I miss it. If I saw another pop up, I'd pick it up for a good price.

hrstrat57, Guitaryellow and lineboat like this.
  8. Jimmy Owen

Jimmy Owen Tele-Meister

Apr 2, 2017
    Moravian Falls, NC
    Hi Lineboat,

I’m not a pedal guy. The only pedal I routinely use is a dejavibe, and it sounds very Hendrix like through the Peavey.

I’ve not played the 2 x 10, but reckon it would emphasize highs over mids. I’d love to try one.

One of my long-time bandmates thinks the DB is the best matched amp to my guitars I’ve ever had.

lineboat likes this.
  9. Zepfan

Zepfan Poster Extraordinaire

Nov 30, 2013
    Horn Lake, MS
    Friend of mine had a Peavey Delta Blues back in the 90's. I loved the sound he got out of that amp and would've got one if I hadn't just got a amp I was happy with.

lineboat likes this.
  10. LGOberean

LGOberean Poster Extraordinaire

May 31, 2008
    Corpus Christi, Texas
    It sounds like 30 watts is enough for your applications. If it were me, I'd get the Delta Blues, because it's basically a C30 with tremolo, and I really like having tremolo on the amp.

Fiesta Red and JustABluesGuy like this.
  11. Telecasterless

Telecasterless Tele-Afflicted

Jan 29, 2011
    los angeles
    I don't know much about Peaveys but I know I don't particularly care for this one, which I believe is a Classic 50. I jam at my neighbor's house (because the drum kit is there) and this was his long time guitar amp (not this exact pic) and since it's already there I don't make a fuss of lugging my amp over to his house, so I just use it.

And it's fine, but that's about it. It just isn't inspiring at all. When I get home and plug into my SFDR, there is just no comparison in terms of sound quality. I don't know what it is, maybe the Fender is warmer, more articulate, something, but my guitars sound so much better to my ears thru the Fender than this amp. The sound is just meh to me. Maybe it's the whole master volume and crunch from the amp that I just don't care for as well. Seems to me that amps that can "do it all" don't do it as well as an amp that just does one thing. I know everyone loves a Marshall and it can do it all too, but I've never spent any time with a Marshall. Personally, I wouldn't buy this amp with all the amp options out there, it is bland to me.

[​IMG]

12. Jakedog

Jakedog Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Mar 26, 2003
    The North Coast
    That amp is 40 years old. They've come a long way. Just sayin.

13. MrCairo46

MrCairo46 Friend of Leo's

I like the above suggestion on the Jet City amp, I have one and love it's OD channel, but it's crunch channel has trouble with clean.
    I also have a Peavey Bandit Transtube. Good clean and great OD with a decent reverb. These can be found for around $100

rickthescot, tomas83 and Jakedog like this.
  14. T Prior

T Prior Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 17, 2003
    Charlotte NC
    If you are already a fan of the Classic 30, ( me too by the way) grab another, or one of the Delta Blues, 2x10 or 15, it's the same 30 watt EL34 amp circuit with added Tremelo.

Don't mess with something you already consider a good thing !

Fender amps in the same category are also excellent, but as you already know, they sound nothing like these PV's.

Go back to what you already know you like !

thats my story...

lineboat likes this.
  15. Grandy

Grandy Tele-Meister

Sep 18, 2010
    Finland
    Just to make clear, the newer Classics made in the 90s and later and the old ones are two completely different amps. I like the old ones, but that's just me.

Which Peavey? I'd ask myself whether I want high headroom or do I use the amp or pedals for dirty sounds.

16. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Telefied Ad Free Member

Nov 15, 2009
    Austin, Tx
    I'd go for the most power/headroom, so I'd get the 50.
    I had a pair of them (4-10 models) years ago.
    They were great sounding workhorses, especially overdriven.

17. Chester Burnett

Chester Burnett Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

Aug 14, 2015
    Minneapolis, MN
    I've owned, gigged and recorded with the C30, C50 combo, C50 head and 410 and the DB15.

The C30 sits in a mix perfectly for me. The 50 is a similar sound but I never found myself needing the headroom and the added weight was unnecessary. I found the Tremolo on the Delta blues to be meh and preferred the utility of the effects loop on the C30. This track is the C30 for both guitar parts.

lineboat likes this.
  18. Clarkj734

Clarkj734 Tele-Meister

Nov 24, 2015
    Bloomfield Hills, MI
    Has anyone bought a Classic 30 or Delta Blues in the past several months?

There seems to be some confusion about whay speakers ship stock in these amps currently. They did away with the Blue Marvel a year or two ago. At one point Peavey was using a Stephens Tru Sonic in the Classic 30, which I had never heard of.

The Peavey website now states that the Classic 30 comes with a Celestion Midnight 60.

The Peavey website also states that the Delta Blues 1x15 has a Celestion Fullback.

But, most retail websites still say a Blue Marvel, and some show a photo of the Stephens speaker in the 30.

So... If anyone has bought one recently...

What speakers are actually coming stock at the moment???

19. lineboat

lineboat Friend of Leo's

Aug 6, 2012
    Well, I just ordered a 2-10 DB. No way to try one locally, so I fell back to the opinion of the salesman at Sweetwater.
    He said the 2-10 version had a little more clean headroom and did a little better with pedals than the 15.
    I really considered the C30 again, but I’ll give this one a try. And I’ll fill you all in once I put a few hours on it!

20. uriah1

uriah1 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Feb 12, 2011
    Around
    C30 with creamback. 5751 in v1

ce24 and lineboat like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.