Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Which one to keep?!

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by WineCaster, May 18, 2017.

1. robt57

robt57 Telefied Ad Free Member

Feb 29, 2004
    Portland, OR
    I have sold both a 76 SFDR and 75 Princeton. If I had to have one back and feel remorse it IS for the Princeton.
    But in my case I can't really work DRs or BJRs to my liking for some obscure reasons.

2. robt57

Feb 29, 2004
    Portland, OR
    Seems like his DRRI had that happened already with a C-Rex. Wonder if doing the PR up with another driver is really something not considered. [as said by a few in the thread already]

Another thought is to sell the DRRI and get a nice combo cab made for the PR for a 12", just another thought.

Last edited: May 18, 2017

3. ce24

ce24 Friend of Leo's

Jan 26, 2008
    Idahoastan
    As a previous negotiator the term "current" needs, stick out...... I'd say keep them both. Seriously!.

Cheers

t guitar floyd likes this.

4. Ex-riverman

Ex-riverman Tele-Meister

Jun 17, 2016
    Tulsa, OK
    Put one in the closet. If it's not about the money, keep both. I've never played either one, but you probably have the only two amps you'll ever need. Seems like a lot of trouble to drag one to your car and give it to somebody. It might make a great gift one day.

jimash likes this.

5. robt57

Feb 29, 2004
    Portland, OR

Oooo.... Ooo, me, mee...

8barlouie and Ex-riverman like this.

6. Frodebro

Frodebro Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Aug 17, 2012
    Seattle
    The only things in life we truly "need" are water, food, and shelter. Everything beyond that is a bonus.

WineCaster likes this.

7. charlie chitlin

charlie chitlin Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Mar 17, 2003
    Spring City, Pa
    Funny, eh?
    That means that LUXURY would actually be the mother of invention.

Frodebro likes this.

8. Frodebro

Frodebro Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Aug 17, 2012
    Seattle
    Pretty much. Ben Franklin was quoted as saying that he invented all the stuff he did (such as bifocal glasses) simply because he was lazy.

9. David Barnett

David Barnett Poster Extraordinaire

Unless there are money problems, why sell?

10. WineCaster

WineCaster Tele-Meister

Jul 12, 2012
    Oshkosh, Wisconsin
    I think I'll throw a Weber or Celestion Gold in the Prince and see if it can hang. Probably shouldn't kill the old CTS anyway.

t guitar floyd likes this.

11. charlie chitlin

charlie chitlin Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Mar 17, 2003
    Spring City, Pa
    What you need is different musicians to hang with!
    My PR has done just fine with a 5-piece band.
    It has a Rajin Cajun, BTW.
    It also has the MuchXS pull pot (Pol Pot!) that turns it into a snarling beast that can kill grass.

12. dannyh

dannyh Tele-Holic

I'd keep both and buy three more amps.

13. King Fan

King Fan Tele-Afflicted

Jan 1, 2013
    Salt Lake City
    There is no reason to search for one amp to sound good in quiet home practice and loud jams with a drummer. That PR is a classic and a keeper. A DR of any kind is a gig / jam meister. You're in deep clover, sir.

robt57, 8barlouie and charlie chitlin like this.

14. Tubeboy

Tubeboy TDPRI Member

May 20, 2017
    Saratoga Springs NY
    Don't sell any it's always a losing proposition unless you stole it.

15. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Telefied Ad Free Member

Nov 15, 2009
    Austin, Tx
    Keep em'!
    Tube amps quit, break, catch fire, and sound weird.
    Most of the time they sound great.
    Might as well have two, and hope one sounds good to you at any given time.
    I always have at least two similar amps.

16. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Tele-Meister

Feb 3, 2017
    Foat Wuth, Texas
    There's plenty of room in the Princeton cab for a twelve.....you can either cut a 12" hole in the baffleboard, or better still, make a new baffleboard and keep the original for when you DO sell the amp. Ten or so years ago, I had to sell a 1963 BF Deluxe (non-reverb), a 1967 DR that had BF cosmetics, and a 1964 Princeton (non-reverb) out of financial necessity. While I'm very happy with my current Vox Pathfinder 15R in a cab with a 12" speaker, I still miss those three amps.....mostly the Deluxe Reverb.

17. robt57

Feb 29, 2004
    Portland, OR
    I agree. I pulled the studs in my 74 and used drywall screws to fasten an Alnico Oxford 12 is there, bell cover and all. Used black caulk in the holes left behind when I put the original 10 back in...

18. Silverface

Silverface Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Mar 2, 2003
    Lawndale CA
    "I don't think" indicates you haven't tried it. Why not? That's the ONLY way you'll know - and the only way you can make an informed decision.

Recommendations for other amps seem pretty much irrelevant until you can report some idea of how *both* your amps work both at home and in a band situation. Until then only guesses can be made - nobody really can have a solid idea of what will work or what won't.

19. CK Dexter Haven

CK Dexter Haven Tele-Holic

Jun 7, 2017
    GCDB
    I belive you out line a pretty good case for having both, the PR suits your home playing, the DRRI makes your occasional jam session more enjoyable. Unless there is a pressing $ need keep both; life is short & can be rough, little indulgences like this add a bit of fun.

If you must sell I would keep the PR, you can always get another recent production jam amp, and if you explain to your friends your choice they can probably turndown/back off / bring a vintage kit to accommodate.

Besides it's not like this guy I see in the mirror once in a while, he owns like 10 amps...

20. moosie

moosie Poster Extraordinaire

Jul 18, 2010
    Western Connecticut
    Sell both, and get an early 70s DR, plus some cash.

I can't get on with Princetons. I hear the comment a lot "got a PR because I don't need the volume of a DR". Volume's not the issue. Both can easily be "too loud". Fact is, they sound completely different. Princetons sound "boxy" to me. I think that's the lack of 3D-ness you refer to.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.