Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Which one to keep?!

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by WineCaster, May 18, 2017.

1. WineCaster

WineCaster Tele-Meister

Jul 12, 2012
    Oshkosh, Wisconsin
    Hey folks,

I'm looking for some assistance on which of my two amps I should keep and which I should sell. I've mapped out the pros and cons but am still torn and hoping to gain some insight into the decision making process.

I'm mostly a solo basement player/hobbyist (in a house) but play with a drummer and/or another guitar player once a month or every other (so not often). I don't play very loud at home because I don't have a need to, and I have neighbors.

I have a 65 Deluxe Reverb Reissue with NOS tubes and a Cannabis Rex speaker. I love the way it sounds, fills the room (12'' speaker and bigger cab), and the Reverb response. I keep the Volume at 2.5-3 at home where it performs well but can shake the walls a bit. I never use the Normal Channel or Trem.

I also have a 72 Silverface Princeton Reverb with new tubes and the original CTS speaker. I got a pretty good deal on it and just had it recapped and brought up to snuff. I tend to play it more than the Deluxe because the volume is more manageable. I appreciate owning a piece of vintage gear and assume it will hold its value or even appreciate with time. I don't think it'd stand up to a drummer or another guitar player though, and it doesn't have the powerful Reverb or the "3Dness" of the Deluxe.

I want two amps, but I don't need two amps and I think I could get by with just one of them for my current needs. What say you?

IMG_9092.jpg IMG_9680.jpg

mtown likes this.

2. badfish_lewis

badfish_lewis Tele-Meister

Jun 26, 2014
    Toronto
    I'd keep the DR but I've never owned one. I had the same predicament with my Twin and Princeton. The Princeton lacks the "3D ness" as you said and for that reason I had to let it go. The Twin filled the room and the Princeton while being a fabulous amp, just didn't do that job well.

3. homesick345

homesick345 Poster Extraordinaire

Jan 20, 2012
    Beirut, Lebanon
    PR

You could get another DRRI in a heartbeat - should you ever miss it.

4. metalosophy

metalosophy Tele-Meister

Dec 21, 2016
    Dublin, CA
    But have you run them in stereo yet?

Frodebro likes this.

5. scottser

scottser Tele-Holic

Mar 6, 2009
    dublin
    it sounds like you prefer the sound of the deluxe and the fact it can hang with other guys in a jam. the princeton is a luxury and probably more sale-able due to its originality.

8barlouie likes this.

6. tery

tery Friend of Leo's

Sep 21, 2012
    Tennessee
    Which one can you get the most money for ?
    Make it easy ... put them both up for sale at the same time :)
    Keep the other one ......

codamedia and robt57 like this.

7. 8barlouie

8barlouie Tele-Afflicted

May 9, 2015
    Seekonk, MA
    @homesick345 brings up a valid point, but I would prolly still go with the DRRI. Nothing quite like it. The PR gets farty real early. I thought your self assesment was interesting. You don't play very loud at home because you don't have to and you have neighbors. On the other hand, I do play very loud at home even though I don't have to and I have neighbors. Easy for me to say, my wife and dog and neighbors like my playing as long as I'm not carrying on into the late hours of the night. I played my brother's PR for a summer and, although the clean sound was sweet, it was lacking in headroom, and as I said before, fahty.

Mechanic and RodeoTex like this.

8. thunderbyrd

thunderbyrd Friend of Leo's

Dec 21, 2004
    central ky

9. robt57

robt57 Telefied Ad Free Member

Feb 29, 2004
    Portland, OR
    Well with a c-rex in the drri and stock in the pr, this is a gimme and non fair a/b IMO. Put an oxfart in the dr and see what happens.

Put a weber 10f150t in the pr and then maybe the 'which to keep' will change in the decision dynamic.

It seems like a hard decision frankly.

I am totally in agreement with the opinion a drri will be easier to re-source.

Fwiw, I like the oxford in my non verb princeton. But only for recording and home clean use. Just more like what they were meant to sound like.

I'd dure keep both, unless you are flat out in need of coin of course.

More remorse likely on the pr I just keep coming back to in my head though ...

Last edited: May 18, 2017

10. crossroader

crossroader Tele-Afflicted

Sep 24, 2004
    Endicott, NY
    If there isn't a real pressing reason, other than "I think I could get by with just one...", I'd keep both.

If you really do want to keep only one, I'd say keep the PR.
    Put a more efficient speaker in it and it should do just fine for small jams.
    Plus, if you decide later on that you really do need a DRRI, they're easy to find.

But that's me.

From your description, you like the DR better. Based on that alone, I'd recommend keeping the DR.
    The bonus of that plan is that you'll be able to sell the PR for more than you would the DRRI.
    Downside - a vintage PR is not as easily replaceable.

So, I'm back to my original thought - keep 'em both. :D

thegeezer and robt57 like this.

11. crossroader

crossroader Tele-Afflicted

Sep 24, 2004
    Endicott, NY
    BTW, something to try before you do anything....

Hook the PR up into the Cannabis Rex speaker in the DRRI cabinet the next time you have one of your jams with your buddies. See if the PR holds up better with something other than the stock speaker (pretty sure it will).

t guitar floyd and robt57 like this.

12. Obsessed

Obsessed Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Nov 21, 2012
    Montana
    Haa, I know three people who have gone through this exact dilemma including my best friend and mentor. Save yourself some time and money by just keeping both. These are both fantastic amps and pretty dang hard to beat. You will be chasing things that don't exist in the same way as these two amps provide, unless you start craving for some completely different amp voice or gig requirement. If I had the power (I live off the grid) these would be the two out of three amps I'd have for sure. FWIW.

t guitar floyd and robt57 like this.

13. robt57

Feb 29, 2004
    Portland, OR
    If you just gotta sell one, i go with the asking inflated prices methodology and sell only if high price.

Exactly what i did when I moved from nashv to pdx. I was hoping the Princeton would not move, but I got a way high price and the cash was easier to move 2600 miles.

Good luck with the dilema.

14. WineCaster

WineCaster Tele-Meister

Jul 12, 2012
    Oshkosh, Wisconsin
    Lotta good points here. They sound the same fundamentally. I suppose it's worth trying to run a 12" speaker out the PR. These are the choices I hate making, but I like not having too many options.

15. robt57

Feb 29, 2004
    Portland, OR
    Again, if you need two pairs of sneakers, you got them in Fender spades. And if two is good, three is better.

Instead of selling, go find a 35 watt 210 vlux to add to the stable. There, I said it...

Obsessed and charlie chitlin like this.

16. CV Jee Beez

CV Jee Beez Tele-Meister

Nov 24, 2016
    Duarte, CA
    Maybe keep the DR. They're very similar with the DR being able to give more volume.

17. charlie chitlin

charlie chitlin Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Mar 17, 2003
    Spring City, Pa
    So...when your ONE old amp needs repair, you're just gonna play acoustic?
    If you don't really need the dough, don't do it.
    ESPECIALLY before you daisy-chain them and see what they can do together.
    2 amps is the bare-bones absolute minimum number of amps a gentleman (or lady) should own.
    Would you drive without a spare tire?
    Would you only want ONE friend?!?
    CAN YOU EAT ONE POTATO CHIP?!?!?!?
    For the love of God, COME TO YOUR SENSES, MAN!!!!!!!!!!
    OK...I need to lie down.

18. ES330

ES330 TDPRI Member

May 2, 2017
    SF
    Why must you sell one ??
    You'll spend a lifetime of regret...

t guitar floyd and Obsessed like this.

19. Big_Bend

Big_Bend Poster Extraordinaire

Feb 19, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Sell the DRRI, keep the Silverface Princeton, buy a Silverface Deluxe Reverb.

There, 2 perfect amps. Enjoy...

20. jazzguitar

jazzguitar Tele-Afflicted

Mar 17, 2003
    Germany
    Unless you need the money or the amps take too much space, why not keep them both?
    If you need to sell one, sell the DRRI.

You can always install a different speaker in the Princeton and make it a giggable amp. I use mine (a '66) for all gigs in clubs.

t guitar floyd likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.