Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Which one should I choose?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Manly wimp 17, Sep 28, 2017.

1. Manly wimp 17

Manly wimp 17 TDPRI Member

Mar 2, 2017
    Slovenia
    mnutz likes this.

2. skydog6653

skydog6653 Tele-Meister

Jan 10, 2013
    Lowell, Indiana
    If I was buying new, I'd buy the Fender; used, the G&L. Based entirely on bang for the buck. Let's face it, it's a base model Tele, you can't go wrong.

Dismalhead and mnutz like this.

3. brogh

brogh Super Moderator Staff Member

Jun 26, 2010
    italy
    one is a classic tele, the blues boy has a humbucker so if you're after theclassic telecaster sound the fender is the choiche.

Most depends on the music you're looking to play, the humbucker may fit as not.

Personally i'd go with the fender just for the color :)

Both are well know and good proven instruments, fenders one might have a better resell value one day if you decide to sell it, but i wouldn't bet on that.

Cheers

mnutz likes this.

4. mnutz

mnutz Tele-Holic

Bluesboys are cool, but for a first tele, or your only one... I gotta say get the one that says Fender on the headstock! It's a great guitar, and a perfect platform for modding.

rich815 and Dismalhead like this.

5. -Hawk-

-Hawk- Tele-Afflicted

Oct 14, 2015
    IL, USA
    If it were me, it would be the Fender and I wouldn't think twice about it. Nothing against G&L.

LPDR Band and mnutz like this.

6. Dismalhead

Dismalhead Poster Extraordinaire

Feb 16, 2014
    Auburn, California
    This is the way I see it too. Gotta have at least one Tele with Tele pickups. You can get the humbucker equipped one for your second.

LPDR Band and mnutz like this.

7. 41144

41144 Tele-Meister

Sep 5, 2017
    West Midalnds, GB
    Hi ...
    Either will be a good purchase ... be aware the necks are slightly different, the G&L is a 9" rad compared to 9.5" on the MiM and, to my hands, the G&L feels a smidge "fuller" ... very difficult to pin down the exact specs of G&L Tribute necks.
    What kind of music/playing are you into?
    Plenty of folk will disagree with the following ... but imo ...
    If you like playing hard-rock ... lots of Bluesey stuff ... especially Keef/'Stones inspired stuff etc ... I'd go G&L because of the neck 'bucker.
    If you're more Indie/Classic rock ... probably the MiM.
    Re-sale ... quite frankly neither will be worth mega-bucks/euros as a trade-in.

Other than that ... which colour do you prefer :D

Good luck ...

mnutz likes this.

8. rich815

rich815 Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

Buy the real tele

mnutz likes this.

9. MahoganyStratDZ

MahoganyStratDZ Tele-Meister

Mar 5, 2012
    USA
    Does the modern Standard have a humbucker route? What I would do doesnt matter what matters is if you prefer a H-S Tele or a S-S. Im working on a H-S as we speak, I prefer the S-S and with R+R but hey the H-S is definately cool too, so maybe a routed Fender as your looking at and see what you prefer?

10. Manly wimp 17

Manly wimp 17 TDPRI Member

Mar 2, 2017
    Slovenia

11. brogh

brogh Super Moderator Staff Member

Jun 26, 2010
    italy
    Yes,i it's the same model, i Love sunburst all of mine are sunburst :) so yes .. that's the one :D

12. tery

tery Friend of Leo's

Sep 21, 2012
    Tennessee
    They are all so Sweet :)

13. AlabamaOutlaw

AlabamaOutlaw Tele-Meister

Feb 20, 2011
    Alabama
    I've got a blues boy and a few other G&L's that I'd take over most every MIM except maybe the Baja or the Nashville

41144 and tery like this.

14. 10thoufirst

10thoufirst Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

Nov 16, 2013
    England
    I've had a number of Telecasters over the years, and an early G&L and I liked them all (that's why I bought them!). So there is one bit of advice I will give you and that is, if at all possible, play before you buy. With respect to all who make suggestions (and I'm doing it now) you can get no idea of what a guitar sounds or feels like from a written description, slightly better is a Youtube demo.
    Of course, not all people can get to try their proposed purchase, for geographical reasons if nothing else and I really feel for those folks, but if you can get your hands on the thing with no commitment then do so.

41144 likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.