Which of these should I buy for lacquering some tweed???

Discussion in 'Amp Tech Center' started by E5RSY, Apr 16, 2019.

1. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

Axis29, I like all three of those Tweeds; and I have owned an all-original 5F1 from 1957 that was closer to the color of the amp on the right than to your shellacked amps...which have colors close to all-originals I have also owned or seen. Ime, the vintage tweeed amps come in all colors due to differences in their environments over the years. Just like lacquered guitars, less light means less yellowing and vice-versa. Same with tob@cco....a lot of exposure to tobacco takes tweed in another direction. Some of them are almost brown...a very golden, transparent brown thing.

Axis29 likes this.
  2. Axis29

Axis29 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

@Wally, I agree with you 100% about the variation in color (and how they're all very attractive). But, I still like shellac better than the honey pine poly/stain... :)

I have seriously contemplated putting some clear lacquer over my shellac'd amps. Figuring it would age and add to the beauty.

Yes, I did make it myself. The wood I used (and still have a stash of) is old growth pine. It was cut down in 1855. It was floor joists in my buddy's old house. The building itself had some structural issues and the joists needed replacing. It is one of the best sounding Teles I've ever had the pleasure of defiling.

Urshurak776, Wally and corn husk bag like this.
  3. E5RSY

E5RSY Poster Extraordinaire

It's hard to get much cooler than that. Great story.

Axis29 likes this.
  4. Axis29

Axis29 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

My buddy calls this house 'The Therapy House'. It was the place he moved right after his divorce and he put a lot of energy into restoring/repairing the old place.

So, I call my guitar, the Therapycaster.

E5RSY likes this.
  5. E5RSY

E5RSY Poster Extraordinaire

Sounds like it was the perfect pursuit/distraction he needed at just the right time.

Axis29 likes this.
  6. Urshurak776

Urshurak776 Tele-Holic

Soooo jealous. That tele is just gorgeous!

Axis29 likes this.
  7. straightlbues

straightlbues TDPRI Member

Yes, shellac is the way I have always done it. But I guess lacquer would work also.

8. Paul G.

Paul G. Friend of Leo's

I'm not in the business of pretending it's 1960, so...Clear poly satin first, honey poly satin -- enough coats until the color looks good to you. Clear poly satin on top. 000 steel wool as needed. 6 hours between coats instead of a day or more.

I'll leave the nitro, varnish, shellac etc., to fine musical instruments. I like tweed to not unravel every time I put it in the car, and I don't want it to look like a bright full moon on the bandstand.

But that's just me.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.