Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Which of these routers for guitar building?

Discussion in 'The DIY Tool Shed' started by Meehah, Dec 21, 2017.

1. Meehah

Meehah TDPRI Member

May 1, 2017
    Brisbane, Australia
    I know similar threads have been posted before but as I am from Australia my router options are different. I'm buying a router and have found two options. This one: https://www.bunnings.com.au/makita-900w-plunge-router_p6240072 and this one: https://www.bunnings.com.au/makita-700w-trimmer-and-router_p6240215. So my question is, are either of these routers appropriate for routing the neck pocket, pickup cavities, etc. and if they are, which would you recommend? Thanks in advance for your help.

2. Frodebro

Frodebro Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Aug 17, 2012
    Seattle
    You wouldn't want a trim router for routing cavities, it's designed for fairly light-duty use with smaller bits. You COULD do it, but it's not ideal. I would stick with a full-sized router with dual collets (1/2" and 1/4").

3. RodeoTex

RodeoTex Poster Extraordinaire

Sep 14, 2005
    Nueces Strip
    Yes the larger Makita for guitar building. Good all around workhorse.

4. jvin248

jvin248 Friend of Leo's

Apr 18, 2014
    Near Detroit, MI

Depends on how many guitars you are planning to build. If one or two here and there you can take light cuts with a smaller trim router (though a wider baseplate would give more stability). If you are banging out a dozen a day then the larger one would be a better choice.

I use a 1.5 HP non-plunging router so in-between your choices, and I was building quite a few for a while.

5. trev333

trev333 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

My cheap trimmer and a pattern bit gets most use around my bench.... mainly for neck/pickup/control pockets..

my big router has a 1/2" round over bit in it.... most other stuff I use the trimmer for...

I don't rout the outer body shapes.. I sand those to the line with a ROSS....and hog out the cavities with forstner bits to remove most of the wood before routing..

I might mount my big router under a table soon and use it that way....

mustang neck pocket rout 31.jpg

Hold on tight !..whichever one you choose...:D

6. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Mar 30, 2003
    Ontario County
    A trim router is fine for a few body routs. You can remove some of the wood with a drill and forstner bit to reduce the amount of work it has to do. A full size router will be a the better purchase if you plan on doing more than one body though. You can't make just one....it's addictive.

7. dogmeat

dogmeat Tele-Meister

Oct 12, 2017
    Alaska
    the plunge router has one other advantage (besides power). you will not be tempted to use it with one hand. a router will flat out eat your lunch if it gets away from you. I worked a couple years in a top shop & my boss was missing some parts. had 2 fingers that looked like claws.... pretty kool for scarin' the childern though

8. John Nicholas

John Nicholas Tele-Afflicted

Jun 26, 2014
    Poughkeepsie, NY
    The 900W Plunge is the better routing for all around building.

Plus it's less expensive!!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.