Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Which Mexican Tele, Standard or Player?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by omahaaudio, Jan 9, 2019.

1. omahaaudio

omahaaudio Tele-Afflicted

Mar 21, 2015
    Omaha
    What "up content" is in the Player?

Neither have I, but I can't figure out how to change my screen name to reflect my new geographic position.

2. omahaaudio

Mar 21, 2015
    Omaha
    Definitely

Last edited: Jan 10, 2019
  3. wblynch

wblynch Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

Apr 24, 2017
    California USA
    • Alnico magnetic pickups replace the former ceramic units
    • New 22 fret neck with satin finish and better feel
    • Pau Ferro replaces Rosewood for dark fretboard models (down content?)
    • New colors

4. beninma

beninma Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Mar 17, 2017
    Massachusetts
    I don't think the Neck Profile is different between the late model Standards & the Player, I own a 2016/2017 serial # Standard and have played the Player several times, can't feel any difference, they're both "Modern C" IIRC. There might be variation though.

That whole pickup thing... I agree. What you're going to prefer is going to depend a lot on what amp you have. I would prefer the Player ones as I have a low headroom amp (Orange) that is really easy to drive into distortion. With the ceramic pickups in the Standard it was difficult to get a good clean tone. (Probably would be the same with a humbucker setup). No problem now that I have lower output Alnico pickups in it. It'd not be a problem with the Player Tele in it's stock form.

If I had a high headroom clean amp from Fender I might prefer the ceramic pickups in the Standard for when I wanted to get dirty without having to crank the amp. The Player pickups or my Lollars would be inferior in that case.

5. John C

John C Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Sep 20, 2005
    Kansas City
    Pau Ferro replaced rosewood in April/May of 2017 - it was pretty much an "across the board" thing for MIM Fenders (only a few signature models retained the rosewood fingerboard) - so later MIM Standards also have Pau Ferro.

That is correct - particularly the comment about variations. But it seems that more of the Player models (all of them) have been a bit more consistent and also on the thinner end of the spectrum, while a lot of the MIM Standards I tried out over the past couple of years were on the thicker end of the spectrum. Neither is "shredder thin" or "vintage fat" by any stretch of the imagination.

wblynch likes this.
  6. omahaaudio

Mar 21, 2015
    Omaha
    I may have the option of getting a s/h US Highway One Tele for about $75-100 more. Would this be a better option?

LocoTex likes this.
  7. OldGuy6873

OldGuy6873 Tele-Meister

Oct 2, 2018
    USA
    Fender is handling it quite well at this point, I think. There should be no more bent saddle Teles out there anymore. No retailer should be selling them.

8. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied Ad Free Member

Could be. But the Highway One Tele never came with that configuration. Two single coils.

Early ones have medium jumbo fretwire and late ones have HUGE fretwire like the American Specials have. If the one you're looking at has a neck HB where it was factory routed for it then that means that real big wire and probably also means either Sunburst or Black. Made in 2010 or thereabouts. Rosewood board, more likely than not.

9. wblynch

wblynch Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

Apr 24, 2017
    California USA
    grayback likes this.
  10. WingedWords

WingedWords Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Feb 4, 2015
    UK and EU
    That's good news then and I'm happy to be updated.

11. Beech Creek Gary

Beech Creek Gary TDPRI Member

Jun 29, 2018
    Hawkins County, Tennessee
    Fender is still shipping Player Series Teles with the bent steel saddles. When I picked up my replacement Tele a couple of days ago the clerk told me I could have my pick of two that just came in. I chose the one with block saddles. The other had the bent steel saddles.

12. OldGuy6873

OldGuy6873 Tele-Meister

Oct 2, 2018
    USA
    Then the store is not doing their due diligence. They should have refused shipment of the bent steel saddle one. Stores that had them or were still receiving them are supposed to contact Fender directly and not offer them to customers at all.

Yes, Fender may have sent some out in error, but at this point, all the people that had the faulty saddles either had their saddles or their guitars replaced.

If a few guitars are slipping through the cracks getting to retailers, ultimately, the buck stops with the shop. There is no way any shop should still be selling the guitars with the faulty saddles to anyone.

13. beninma

beninma Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Mar 17, 2017
    Massachusetts
    So interesting that they replaced the pictures on the website & description to say block saddles but they never put out a customer facing announcement, etc..

They way they did it would totally have made sense pre-internet but it's kind of weird now.

boris bubbanov likes this.
  14. omahaaudio

Mar 21, 2015
    Omaha
    "s/h" meaning second hand.

15. Dismalhead

Dismalhead Poster Extraordinaire

Feb 16, 2014
    Sacramento, California
  16. Ira7

Ira7 Poster Extraordinaire

Jan 8, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
  17. omahaaudio

Mar 21, 2015
    Omaha
    My decision was made for me when I went into a local shop to find A SALE so I bought a new Mexican Standard (red w/maple neck) with a 30 percent discount (aka circa $440). Sweet.

boris bubbanov and wblynch like this.
  18. Beech Creek Gary

Beech Creek Gary TDPRI Member

Jun 29, 2018
    Hawkins County, Tennessee
    I don't agree that the buck stops with the shop. Fender hasn't publicly acknowledge that there is a problem and hasn't notified their authorized repair shops that there is a problem with the early run of guitars with the bent steel saddles. What they are doing is QC by customer service. They are sending everything out and fixing or replacing what comes back.

19. OldGuy6873

OldGuy6873 Tele-Meister

Oct 2, 2018
    USA
    Fair enough.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.