Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Which Mexican Tele, Standard or Player?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by omahaaudio, Jan 9, 2019.

1. omahaaudio

omahaaudio Tele-Afflicted

Mar 21, 2015
    Omaha
    After a couple of years sans-Telecaster I'm going to get one and I've narrowed it down to a current Mexican Player model or a current-ish Mexican Standard. Where I am they're within $15 of each other so that's a wash. The main differences that I can see from websites and videos are the saddles (bent-steel vs those "blocky" ones) and the pick-ups (ceramic on the Standard, Alnico V on the Player).

Sound-wise I prefer pick-ups to be beefier rather than thinner so the ceramics would seen to be preferable. Saddle-wise I have no idea what difference the two choices mean.

So...

Is either one of these models better made than the other? Is one kind of saddle better, in practice, than the other? Is there anything else I should know?

Oh yeah, if it's a choice between Ash and Alder I don't really care either way.

Thanks in advance.

wblynch likes this.
  2. SixStringSlinger

SixStringSlinger Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

May 21, 2006
    Space
    The Player series replaced the Standard series, so while there may be some new Standards around, those will run out soon. Players are less than a year old, so probably not much to be had used.

Standards were around for a long time, so tons available used. Probably different specs over the years, too.

I couldn't tell you the difference between he saddles, aside from looks. My Standards came with the blocky ones, but I swapped the bridge out with a vintage-style one with the 3 brass saddles (the slanted ones, to aid with intonation). There was nothing wrong with the original bridge, I was just hoping to accentuate the differences I could already hear between the Tele and my Strat, which worked out. I prefer the looks now, as well.

(Another thing to consider is that there are tons of parts available that will drop right into a Standard. Players are still up in the air re. existing aftermarket parts, but there are reports that at least some Standard parts will fit the Players. There's another thread going on about this).

I don't have experience with a lot of different pickups, but the ceramics with my Standard (a 2017) are fine. They're wound just a touch hot (more than the SCN noiseless pups in my Strat, anyway, but maybe those are less hot than normal). Also, don't discount the effect pickup height can have re. beefy vs. thin.

3. SolidSteak

SolidSteak Friend of Leo's

Apr 27, 2016
    USA
    Any preference about fretboards? The new Player series have Pau Ferro or Maple. Most used Standards I see are Maple, but maybe some were Rosewood?

You can probably get a better deal on a Standard, and it will have the ceramic pickups if it was made after 2010 or so.

They're both probably good... I don't think I would want the bent steel saddles, but I've never tried them on a tele (my Standard had the Gotoh block saddles until I swapped it for the 3-saddle bridge.)

4. mfguitar

mfguitar Tele-Holic

Aug 12, 2008
    Buffalo
    C'mon you are going to replace the pups and saddles anyway :)
    I think there will be a noticeable difference in the weight if that matters to you between the Ash and Alder. If buying mail order I would ask for the actual weights of guitars you are considering. I have had both style saddles and for me it does not matter but I am sure it does for some but that is an easy and affordable swap.
    Best of luck!

5. WingedWords

WingedWords Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Feb 4, 2015
    UK and EU
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2019
  6. beninma

beninma Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Mar 17, 2017
    Massachusetts
    Yah I have no desire to play those bent steel saddles on the Player, I've played them on a Strat and don't like them, and the Strat doesn't have the restringing problem. I guess I have played the new Player Tele though and for some reason they are not as annoying on a Tele as they are on the Strat for me.

If you're not going to go right to a 3-saddle vintage style Tele bridge the one on the MIM Std/American Std is/was great.

The player Tele pickups are a lot nicer IMO though.

7. LocoTex

LocoTex Tele-Afflicted

Jan 16, 2018
    Waxahachie, TX.
    If you want beefier pickups go with the standard.

8. omahaaudio

Mar 21, 2015
    Omaha
    Excellent point.

SixStringSlinger likes this.
  9. omahaaudio

Mar 21, 2015
    Omaha
    Not really.
    I've never been bothered by one (Maple) or the the other (Rosewood/Etc.).
    I'm a peasant when it comes to hearing the differences between things like Ash/Alder, Maple/Rosewood/Whatever, and I'm probably happier for it.
    Then again, if I ever became a really good guitar player, all of that might change.

10. omahaaudio

Mar 21, 2015
    Omaha
    Not for at least a year, or ever if I'm lucky.
    Thanks.

11. SixStringSlinger

SixStringSlinger Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

May 21, 2006
    Space
    I mean, I'm sure there will be some eventually, if the Player series lasts any amount if time. The but Standard stuff is already out there, and at least some of it seems to fit the Player.

12. Ydwen Jones

Ydwen Jones Tele-Meister

Jan 2, 2019
    Amsterdam
    I have a MIM Standard that I like very much, except for the pickups. I think they're too beefy. But if that's what you're looking for, the Standard's the one you want. Great guitar.

13. beninma

beninma Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Mar 17, 2017
    Massachusetts
    I bought my Std for about half the price of a new one, it was < 1 year old.

It had some wiring issues and I didn't like the pickups.. I replaced the pickups with Lollars & rewired it with a Treble bleed, my total out of pocket cost was still less than the cost of a new Std that yet. And obviously there are a lot of other high quality pickups you could put in one that cost less than Lollars.

The Player does have one extra fret as mentioned. I have yet to play anything that uses the 21st fret... it is pretty hard to reach way up there on a Tele anyway. Playing something right now that calls for the note on the 20th fret.. but it doesn't have you play it there, it says bend the 18th up a full step. I'm not sure I can actually reach all the notes to play a scale at 17th-21st fret across all 6 strings, so I don't lose any sleep about the 22nd fret.

14. wblynch

wblynch Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

Apr 24, 2017
    California USA
    Here's a story that might help...

My brother last month bought a new Player Series Telecaster and I just now bought an end-of-the-run Standard. Both are MIM.

His: has a better neck, much nicer finish and feel.
    His: sounds way better with the new pickups.
    His: has the revised 6-block-saddle bridge like the Standards (no bent steel)
    His: Tidepool Blue with Maple
    His: Bought for $649 before the 2019 price increase.

Mine: has a satin back finish on the neck which I prefer over the earlier gloss finish of the Standards.
    Mine: does not sound as good. Sounds muddy and ice-picky at times. ('64 Vintage P/U on their way as we speak)
    Mine: has the 6-block-saddle bridge
    Mine: Lake Placid Blue with Maple. (I prefer my color which is why I went with the Standard)
    Mine: Found for $499 on closeout.

My assessment is, if the prices are close, go with the Player. It sounds so nice you won't be spending money or time changing the pickups .

In my case, the closeout price left money for pickups and I got a color that is not offered on the new model.

LutherBurger likes this.
  15. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

Apr 18, 2014
    Near Detroit, MI

Install a 4-way switch in either model.
    Maple tends to be more stable than mixing woods on the neck.

16. RoCkstAr256

RoCkstAr256 Tele-Holic

Jan 3, 2017
    Poland
    Mim Standard, just swap out the pickups later. I mena pickups are okay but PLayer series ha smuch better pickups. Go for Texas special or Duncans later

17. DougM

DougM Friend of Leo's

Jul 5, 2017
    Honolulu, HI
    Ignore all the comments and get what you want. If you like beefier pickups, then you'll be quite happy with the standard ceramic ones and won't need to replace them. The main difference, if the Standard vs. Player Teles are the same as the Strats (I haven't compared the Teles, only the Strats), is that the Player has a skinnier neck with 22 frets, and the Standard has a beefier neck with 21. You should play both to see which one you like the feel of more.
    I feel, for me, that the Player series is a much better guitar than the Standard series, at least for Strats. My Player Strat is my favorite one, even over my American Pro one. But, I like skinny necks, and brighter vintage output pickups. That's why you need to try both to determine which YOU like better.

Mr. Neutron and Squiertony like this.
  18. John C

John C Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Sep 20, 2005
    Kansas City
    Based on my experience DO NOT PURCHASE A PLAYER TELE WITH THE BENT STEEL SADDLES.

Wait to get one that already has the solid block saddles on it. I originally bought one in July with the bent saddles. You couldn't change the saddles on that one and fix the restringing issue, so it had to be replaced with a different guitar. They couldn't deliver me one in the same color I purchased in July so I had to take another color or I would still be waiting on the replacement - and my warranty claim against the guitar started in August and wasn't resolved until early October.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2019
  19. Sparky2

Sparky2 Tele-Afflicted

Apr 15, 2017
    Harvest, Alabama
  20. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied Ad Free Member

Which one should Omaha get?

The Standard, but they've got to cut another $ 75 dollars off of the price. No way the two models should be only $ 15 apart - too much "up content" in the newer guitar and the Market says that's worth more money.

Haven't been to Omaha in a while:

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.