Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Which guitar should I get?

Discussion in 'Squier Tele Forum' started by Manly wimp 17, Sep 24, 2017.

1. Manly wimp 17

Manly wimp 17 TDPRI Member

Mar 2, 2017
    Slovenia

2. john_cribbin

john_cribbin Tele-Holic

Nov 26, 2014
    London
    Personally I'd say it's what feels best is far more important that what sounds best.

For example, I really don't like the modern C profile on most Fender necks, they just feels to small in my hands.

Find a model that fits you like a glove and play. Changing pickups to get the sound you want is a secondary issue to my mind.

Hope Slovenia is as lovely as it looks, I should be flying into Ljubljana in a few weeks for a short holiday :)

3. el cheapo

el cheapo Tele-Afflicted

Jan 13, 2011
    Southcentral Pa
    It's been said before, but play as many guitars in your price range as you can and pick the one that feels best to you. They all feel different, even ones of the same model. Good luck!

4. Sparky2

Sparky2 Tele-Holic

Apr 15, 2017
    Harvest, Alabama
    That candy apple red Telecaster is a fantastic and versatile guitar.
    I don't think you can go wrong with that particular guitar.

As the others have said, it's all about how it feels and plays in your hands.
    If you can't get your hands on it a play it in person though, then you will never go wrong with that model of Fender.
    As long as the mail order company does a decent job of set-up and shipping, you will be one happy guitar player!!

:)

nojazzhere and Ira7 like this.

5. Mimmo_CVC

Mimmo_CVC TDPRI Member

Oct 26, 2014
    Italy
    For that budget, you can consider a G&L Bluesboy, too.

6. Rookery

Rookery TDPRI Member

Jan 5, 2017
    England
    I took ages to choose my SX STL50. It's a brilliant guitar and not expensive. With the money you can save, you can buy yourself a very decent amp too and still have some left over for a fish supper.

hemingway likes this.

7. Ira7

Ira7 Poster Extraordinaire

Jan 8, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    That candy apple red is a great Tele, and doing the currency exchange in my head, it seems like a very good price.

Unless you guys have to add certain taxes and high shipping costs onto it.

8. brogh

brogh Super Moderator Staff Member

Jun 26, 2010
    italy
    Hi,

If this your first telecaster, you better be trying out some before settling for one, there are many options available (besides colors ) on telecaster models that are around, neck shapes/sizes, frets pickups.

Narrowing the list down is a to do job, it may take some time, but my best advice would be trying out in local shops some teles and understanding what you like and don't like, then get the one the pleases you the most.

Cheers

9. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied Ad Free Member

If you really cannot get to a shop to try something, that MIM Standard is as good a place to start as anything.

It is a known property - so if you happen not to like it, you can trade or sell it.

It is also super easy and intuitive to upgrade - the only problem is the neck section is Modern Thin C and I for one, like something fatter in the girth of the neck - the cross section of it.

jvin248 likes this.

10. Manly wimp 17

Mar 2, 2017
    Slovenia

11. theprofessor

theprofessor Friend of Leo's

Aug 8, 2016
    Chattanooga, TN
    If the choice is between those two, I'd definitely go with the Fender tele. Easy to set up to your liking, and if you end up not liking it for some reason, it should be pretty easy to move along.

Fiesta Red likes this.

12. Zepfan

Zepfan Poster Extraordinaire

Nov 30, 2013
    Horn Lake, MS
    I'd look for one with 2 P90's.:D

nicod98 likes this.

13. Rookery

Rookery TDPRI Member

Jan 5, 2017
    England
    Agreed. A MIM Fender Tele will sell all day long and not likely to lose much money from new.

14. Rob DiStefano

Rob DiStefano Poster Extraordinaire Vendor Member

Mar 3, 2003
    NJ via TX
    squier bullet - tele or strat flavor. a good platform to learn on - easy to set up, easy to mod later on for better tone for cheap. in every way as good as any canoe paddle guitar for a fraction of the cost of peer pressure ego-centric guitar head stock labels. :eek::lol:

DSC03230.JPG

15. Rookery

Rookery TDPRI Member

Jan 5, 2017
    England

16. Ira7

Ira7 Poster Extraordinaire

Jan 8, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    I would go for one with no P90s!

nojazzhere likes this.

17. Mxrk

Mxrk TDPRI Member

Nov 17, 2016
    Tampa
    My first guitar was a standard telecaster and it never let me down. If it feels right in your hands, I’d go with that.

18. Manly wimp 17

Mar 2, 2017
    Slovenia
    My current guitar is bullet strat... :x

19. Minimalist518

Minimalist518 Tele-Holic

Mar 5, 2017
    Albany
    +1 on all the comments that the *feel* of the guitar should be your primary consideration. With the understanding that the action can be corrected with a good set up, the way the neck fits your hand is the most important (and most subjective) with the weight and how the body of the guitar fits you coming in second. Personally, I love the feel of a MIM Fender.
    One other factor I haven't seen mentioned is the bridge style. I see that the guitar you've got your sights on has a modern six saddle bridge. Is that your preference? Many here, myself included, prefer the traditional three saddle "ashtray" bridge for a variety of reasons both sound and silly. Just another thing to consider.

20. Rob DiStefano

Rob DiStefano Poster Extraordinaire Vendor Member

Mar 3, 2003
    NJ via TX
    yep, no question about it - with electric guitars, it's all about the playability (aka "feel"). the sound/tone is in the engine/s and the onboard circuit it/they feed. canoe paddle electrics like strats 'n' teles have a whole buncha non-invasive components to tweak for that playability, too.

acoustics are all about the whole enchilada - playability AND sound/tone - and with far less non-invasive components available to tweak. acoustics can be buggers, for sure.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.