Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Which Gibson? Studio LP or Standard SG - ended up with something else!

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by grolan1, Mar 12, 2018.

1. MilwMark

MilwMark Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Apr 29, 2013
    near Arnold's
    I have fallen victim to SG rubberneck on 3 guitars now.

I love, love, love SGs. But I can't keep them in tune when I play them. Flex the neck back just a little bit and everything "off".

Real shame.

I'd vote Flying V. For some reason, I don't flex the neck on those the same way. Weird.

grolan1 likes this.
  2. hrstrat57

hrstrat57 Tele-Afflicted

Nov 21, 2016
    Rhode Island
    Studios can be very very good.

But I've played some that have been nasty. Do not buy without trying out multiple guitars. Craigslist in my area is loaded with Studios. I'll bet your area is too!

Go play a bunch.

grolan1 and SlappyDuck like this.
  3. ickylick

ickylick Tele-Meister

Jan 21, 2011
    New York
    I say SG standard all the way~ but try to compare the 2 first hand.

IMO, a Studio LP doesn't sound the same as a Standard LP (even with the same pickups) due to weight difference affecting the resonance) which is a turn off for me, but~ that doesn't mean a Studio sounds bad, just a lot of variances depending on the model.

*Whereas SG specials, standards, and '61 RI's more or less all sound the same (when they have the same pickups) but it's just a difference in aesthetics.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2018
    grolan1 likes this.
  4. jaybones

jaybones Friend of Leo's

For me I don't care for the SG as much, so I would get the studio.

grolan1 likes this.
  5. drmmrr55

drmmrr55 Tele-Meister

Aug 20, 2017
    Federal Way, Washington
    I think the SG standard is about the best value in a Gibson guitar, they look great, play great, and are light and nimble. The 490R/498T pickups aren't my fav, but a lot of people really dig them, and I think that's what Studios come with.

grolan1 likes this.
  6. Vespa_One

Vespa_One Tele-Holic

Feb 14, 2017
    US
    I really don't like SG's and I like pretty much every guitar. I love LP's so for me the decision is easy. They are very different guitars. SG's also give an ACDC vibe and I'm not a fan at all so theres that. And the SG neck dive... ymmv

Either guitar will be awesome have fun with your new guitar!

grolan1 likes this.
  7. Alexpapasitoguapo

Alexpapasitoguapo TDPRI Member

Mar 9, 2018
    Oakland
    SG standard

grolan1 likes this.
  8. AngelDeville

AngelDeville Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Dec 27, 2007
    Albuquerque
    If it weren't for prs's and stratocasters, les pauls would be the ugliest guitars on the planet.

I may be biased...

[​IMG]

bftfender and grolan1 like this.
  9. Musekatcher

Musekatcher Tele-Holic

If you already have a representative Les Paul (PAFs or Mini's, Maple over Mahogany, etc), I'd want to expand my stable with a missing must, the SG. Unless, your Les Paul copy isn't representative of the Les Paul sound? In that case, I'd trade it, replace with a hand-selected Studio, and also shop for an SG. If you're totally happy with the Larrivee, and just want a Gibson, I'd still vote for the SG.

bftfender and grolan1 like this.
  10. Crawldaddy

Crawldaddy Tele-Meister

Dec 12, 2006
    Singapore
    I vote SG only because I happen to have one, and when you find the right one, it's hard to put it back in its case.

I was doing a clear-out recently, sold off two LPs because even though they felt good, but one was just so damned heavy, and the other basically looked a bit off after I added two mini switches to the front of the guitar and just felt as if I had defaced it.

I any case, the SG standard I have now comes equipped with Suhr Thornbuckers and a B5 Bigsby. First time I've actually heard an SG chime. Whatever hint of neck-dive it might have had is now completely mitigated.

john kleeman and grolan1 like this.
  11. modavis99

modavis99 TDPRI Member

Aug 22, 2010
    Chatham, NJ
    SG and LP don't really sound alike and have a different feel. I agree with others that an SG is easier to play except the for neck-dive, but I just prefer the tone of a LP. Playing upper frets on an LP requires some practice, but plenty of players seem to have done it. If you are patient, you can find new LP classics or traditionals for $1,500 if you like binding etc. and the weights on most modern LPs are between 8.5 and 9.5 pounds, which I find manageable

ac15 and grolan1 like this.
  12. VintageSG

VintageSG Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Mar 31, 2016
    Yorkshire
    SG, but then I would put that :)

You get used to the fifth fret being where you thought the nut was quite quickly. The fact the neck is over there somewhere make it more comfortable ( for me ). I felt the LP made me squish my arms into my flobbly bits and it was claustrophobic.
    Upper fret access is about as good as you'll ever get too, plus Tony Iommi plays one.
    They're lighter than an LP.

grolan1 likes this.
  13. eclecticsynergy

eclecticsynergy Tele-Holic

Nov 16, 2014
    Albany NY
    I can't bond with SGs generally; it's an ergonomic issue rather than a tonal one. Love the sound of 'em, can't get comfortable playing 'em. Personally I prefer Les Pauls. If you already have that covered, I might be considering a PRS myself- it's a different sound & feel, sort of a middle ground between Gibsons and Fenders. And they have great necks, even the less expensive models. Very few quality control problems.

If you go Gibson, whichever one you choose I'd echo the above advice to try a bunch of them until you find one that feels good and really speaks to you.

grolan1 likes this.
  14. Thanks everyone for all your input - all good stuff to consider and chew on. I did actual buy something, I was leaning hard towards a nice SG standard but couldn't stop myself, I picked up another Larrivee, this time a less fancy model with P90's. Thought it would be good to have something a little different (meaning P90's). I'm a sucker for natural wood finish and tulip tuners as well.

2.jpg

src9000, lineboat, drmmrr55 and 6 others like this.
  15. Zepfan

Zepfan Poster Extraordinaire

Nov 30, 2013
    Horn Lake, MS
    That's really nice. Too bad Larrivee aren't making solid body guitars any more.

grolan1 likes this.
  16. AngelDeville

AngelDeville Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Dec 27, 2007
    Albuquerque
    An excellent choice!

grolan1 likes this.
  17. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh Poster Extraordinaire

Jun 13, 2013
    Initech, Inc.
    Nice. I’ve been trying to scratch the Lester/SG itch for a long while, but just never got in with any of the Gibbys I tried. Came across a deal on a Guild Bluesbird which is in transit right now.

Tone Eee, JBFatFingers and grolan1 like this.
  18. ac15

ac15 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

May 9, 2005
    CHICAGO, IL.
    My first good guitar was an SG, back in my teen years.

I always thought they sounded the same as LP’s until I actually got an LP.

I think LP’s are far superior guitars, particularly tonally, at least as far as my preferences go.

LP’s are the best solid body guitars ever, IMO.

I think a good LP beats anything.

grolan1 likes this.
  19. Zepfan

Zepfan Poster Extraordinaire

Nov 30, 2013
    Horn Lake, MS
    For those that don't like the SG neck joint issue, the LP Junior and Specials don't have those issues and they sound/play the same.

20. Syrinx

Syrinx Tele-Meister

Aug 7, 2016
    Champaign illinois
    Yeah a les paul special DC- especially the blow out ones would have been prime. But the one you got looks great- and achieves the same basic function! Congrats

grolan1 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.