Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Which Gibson? Studio LP or Standard SG - ended up with something else!

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by grolan1, Mar 12, 2018.

1. So I'm hunting down my next guitar. I've had a few Gibbys in the past, a couple of the lower end LP models and really not that happy with the quality/build and moved them on. Had a very nice Firebird but also let that one go.

I really do have my LP guitar covered as I have a extremely nice Larrivee RS-4 but willing to add another LP guitar in the mix.

I love the details/inlays/binding of the Standard SG over the Studio LP. I'm leaning towards the SG but want some input.

Paul Jenkin likes this.

2. viking

viking Friend of Leo's

Jan 23, 2007
    Denmark
    I really dont like SG's , so for me it would be easy
    It just feels weird to play for me , might suit you just fine , LOL
    Anyway , I have three Les Paul Studios from different years , all are great guitars.

3. Paul Jenkin

Paul Jenkin Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Aug 17, 2017
    Essex, UK
    My first "serious" guitar was a Les Paul - beautiful flamed wood and sky blue burst / gorgeous binding. I was too precious with it and, on the ergonomic side, I couldn't get the thing to balance properly (probably due to a crappy strap). I traded it.

I have an Epi LP 56 RI and really like it but I've recently been ogling a used LP studio. Quite plain looking and a few cosmetic marks. the pick-ups are great and it's tempting. I also looked at an SG (one of my favourite-looking guitars) but I'm more tempted by the LP.

It's a nice dilemma to have as I don't think you can go wrong either way.

4. Plumber

Plumber Tele-Meister

Jun 5, 2014
    london
    Les Paul Jnr?

mimmo, RyCo1983 and John Owen like this.

5. zook

zook Friend of Leo's

Aug 6, 2003
    Cochise, AZ
    I love the look of SGs, but after having several over the course of many years I find that the fact that the neck is attached at the last fret makes my left hand confused. When I think I am barring an "A" chord, it turns out that my hand is on the 7th fret.

For that reason, I just look at the pictures of them.

6. Wondering if it's a valid assumption to say a Standard in general is a better made/quality guitar than a Studio?

7. paratus

paratus Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Dec 2, 2010
    Michigan
    I have owned a LP Deluxe and currently have a Standard. I have played Studios....I don't think you can make a blanket statement that one is better made or of higher quality than another unless you have a preference for the pickups and hardware of one vs the other. To me, individual guitars of the same model have differences that would affect which one you prefer.

As to SGs, I like them a lot. My only issue with them is that some are prone to "rubberneck"; it is easy to bend the neck enough to influence the tuning without much effort. Some SGs are worse than others in this regard.

8. messhead

messhead Tele-Meister

Apr 13, 2007
    Rochester, NY
    Not necessarily. In the past, before all these T and H and LPJ and all the confusing model names, a studio was essentially a standard, but without bindings or elaborate inlays. Wood, pickups, electronics, tuners, hardware was all the same (before 57 classics and burstbuckers, then studios continued to have those 490/498 pups, while standards had "better" pups).

Made at the same place by the same people, so like all Gibsons (IMO) since 2000 or so, about 90 - 95% finished.

I have owned a number of standards, studios, and classics. My favorite, and the only LP I still have, is a 95 Studio Lite. It has a lighter wood block in it, some call it the balsa wood guitar, I think Gibson called it Chromyte or something like that.

Anyway, it's a studio and it sings, plays fantastically, is easy on the back. I love it.

I've had standards that are pigs and studios that were really nice guitars. For a short time, I had an older studio, but it had binding and dot inlays. It was a limited run and I forgot what they called it.

9. ellisvertellis

ellisvertellis Tele-Holic

Nov 29, 2012
    belgium
    I love SGs for a couple of reasons:

1. the weight: compared to a Les Paul, an SG is a featherweight
    2. the playability: the design of an SG is based on ergonomics and fret access. I haven't played a guitar before with that kind of upper fret access and because not many guitars have that, it can feel "weird" at first. You get used to it really quickly though and once you do, other guitars feel "short".
    3. The sound: It's a Les Paul setup (2 humbuckers, 2 volume, 2 tone, 3 way switch) but it sounds a little different: more upper mids, more jangle and less sustain (usually).

Not all SGs are the same off course. I used to have a 70s tribute SG and that was a no frill guitar that played and sounded awesome! Now I have a much more fancy Derek Trucks SG, but in all honesty: the 70s tribute was at least as good. It just didn't look as nice as the DT...

10. Middleman

Middleman Friend of Leo's

Aug 29, 2007
    MV, CA
    SG pickups are aggressive and in some cases harsh but that's what makes them so popular. The LP is a bit smoother and sweeter sounding. I think the LP is more versatile across different genres of music. I own both.

11. NJ Deadhead

NJ Deadhead Tele-Meister

Jan 25, 2017
    Greenville, SC
    This is why I sold my SG. Loved many things about it, and it was great for playing lead. Anytime I made any sort of chord, the neck bent and it sounded awful. I have a fairly delicate touch too...oh well.

12. ellisvertellis

ellisvertellis Tele-Holic

Nov 29, 2012
    belgium
    Like I said, not all SGs are the same. The 70s tribute I used to have had a very solid neck with a "volute", which basically comes down to extra wood at the neck joint. The Derek Trucks I own now (cfr '61 RI with some cosmetic differences) does have it a bit more, but not at all problematic.
    It is something that comes with the SG's long neck design though, so yes, I can immagine it's not for all.

13. El Marin

El Marin Tele-Meister

Mar 19, 2014
    Madrid, Spain, EU
    The SG is the MOST comfortable guitar ever. After my Tele, is my choice

14. stratoman1

stratoman1 Tele-Holic

Nov 12, 2016
    Virginia Beach, Va
    I've got a Std SG and a Trad LP. I like them equally well but they are truly different animals. The LP is smooth when you want smooth, it has 57 Classics and it will go way over the top when called to. The SG has the 490/498 set which while it does do cleans it takes a bit of tweaking. But it really shines when you can go all out scream with it

15. bftfender

bftfender Tele-Holic

Dec 21, 2017
    York PA
    have both.. 2 dif animals...i have a Guitar i will never part with and people rag on a 2014 Gibson SGJ 24 fret(you can fly and octave runs are insane)with 61 Zebra pups..it does it all, from chink a chink reggae to thrash and everything in between, run the vol and tone about 7 into a Marshall and have at it...the LP Studio 1990-to about 99..heavy.just like they are supposed to be, 490r/498t ...a rock n roll animal..and a killer blues...very underestimated blues guitar..also have a p90 double cut..but i cant do what the other 2 do, but very unique for single coils, only cost me $400-550-550...took time looking and traded well

Attached Files:

16. NJ Deadhead

NJ Deadhead Tele-Meister

Jan 25, 2017
    Greenville, SC
    Agreed, really no two Gibsons are the same. All their necks have an element of hand-shaping to them. However, many SG models are prone to the issue of an easily bent neck...more so than any other guitar that I have touched. I haven't sworn them off for life, I've just yet to find one that I feel comfortable with.

17. TimothyC

TimothyC Tele-Afflicted

May 12, 2016
    California
    If it were my choice, I'd get the SG standard. But that's mostly because I want one right now. I adore my Les Paul but it's size and weight make me more careful when I play it, I tend to be much less aggressive and lose a bit of energy when I take it to shows or practice. I have more fun with a thinner and more tossable guitar.

18. bftfender

bftfender Tele-Holic

Dec 21, 2017
    York PA
    it's interesting about the weight on LP, i feel the heavier the better and me is only 5'3, its the one guitar i feel xtra power with, i always favored heavier guitars, even my strat and red SG that is heavier with 490's just makes me aggressive

Attached Files:

19. Zepfan

Zepfan Poster Extraordinaire

Nov 30, 2013
    Horn Lake, MS
    The Lp Studio(a great guitar) is just a LP without the bling and since you have the LP covered already.......get the SG.

20. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Ad Free Member

May 10, 2003
    Near Milwaukee
    Buy the SG Standard. They are lighter than a LP and more comfortable and they are very resonant. Full gloss, neck binding, trapazoids. Great guitar and value.

I have some of each (Lesters and SG's). I only gig SG's because they do beautiful cleans and fantastic crunch and you can stand and play one for 4 hours without feeling like your neck and back are breaking.

I'm getting old. Lesters are "sitting down" guitars. :confused:

grolan1 likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.