Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

Which DIY pedals for bass

Discussion in 'Burnt Fingers DIY Effects' started by ponce, Mar 11, 2013.

1. ponce

ponce Tele-Meister

Hi, I want to build a few basic stomps for a colleague bass player and need some suggestions on what types and models should I look for, depending on the availability of schematics and parts.
    He used to play through a KORG multieffect, which was stolen together with my pedalboard :mad:. I'm thinkin here about compressor/limiter, chorus, octaver, drive/fuzz, you name it...

Thanx in advance

2. ponce

ponce Tele-Meister

3. Mart the Hat

Mart the Hat Tele-Meister

A green big muff is always fun for bass, though maybe a bit extreme for some styles. Tubescreamer type overdrives sound a bit thin for bass without some tweaking, but either changing the input cap or using a clean blend circuit helps. Envelope filters like the Mutron are classic bass effects too, if you like funk. Personally I wouldn't bother with DIY for something like a chorus, as they tend to be quite complex circuits and many of the commercial ones are cheap and good.

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. waparker4

waparker4 Doctor of Teleocity

LPB-1
    Colorsound 1knob fuzz or other bassy fuzz
    envelope filter

6. Jefe

Jefe Tele-Holic

Wooly Mammoth
    Tonmann Paramix

7. jefrs

jefrs Doctor of Teleocity

The Compressor and enough Graphic EQ to frighten an audiophile are usually built into the bass amp.

The only other FX I regularly use with bass is a MXR Bass D.I.+ Distortion (M80) which also has a Noise-Gate and some extreme para-type tone controls, with something like +10dB available it can be used as a booster - and probably well beyond a DIY project. This one is a bit of a love/hate with bassists, it needs to be used subtle.

Reverb and delay just muddies bass.
    OD is not enough for bass (wrong amp), you need Fuzz or Distortion.

Chorus and Flanger works on bass, bit of any acquired taste though, if you want to sound something like an orchestra string bass section. Phaser works on drums...

Pitch-shift and Octave can be fun but party-trick.

8. limbe

limbe Tele-Afflicted

I know that this isn´t what you are looking for but it is a useful "tool" when you put a bass through an effect pedal.With this simple blender,you don´t lose the bottom on the bass.
    http://seanm.ca/stomp/bblender.html

9. ponce

ponce Tele-Meister

Thanx guys, thats enough info to take in consideration:grin:

10. Dr.StainedGlove

Dr.StainedGlove TDPRI Member

I built a wem project V a little while back and it sounds GREAT with bass although I use it for guitar.. huge fuzz.. kind of a PITA to build though. google that sucker! maybe add the bblender to it as limbe suggested, but it sounded good to me just the way it is.. for over the top all out fuzz..

11. limbe

limbe Tele-Afflicted

12. Dr.StainedGlove

Dr.StainedGlove TDPRI Member

I like that sound! raw.. the project v will do something very close to that..

I have been bread boarding a pedal that blends the project V circuit with a boosted OD kind of thing and added tone control.. It may not work out though.. already on take 3. that wem pedal already has 8 transistors in it.. not exactly a starting point for adding things to.. but it does sound good. IF it ever works out, maybe I will toss the schematic this way.

13. limbe

limbe Tele-Afflicted

I listened to "Think For Yourself" right now in headphones.Turned down the channel with the fuzzed bass completely,turned up the other channel and listened to the bass.I could hear a "real" bass in that channel.IMHO;if you are not playing a bass solo with chorus,dist. or envelope filter,there should be some real bass or the bottom falls out.I have tried chorus on my Jazz Bass at home and thought it sounded good.As soon as we started to rehearse I realized that it was completely worthless.As Jefrs wrote,compression and eq for normal bass playing.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.