Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Which DeoxIT?

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by LowThudd, Dec 8, 2017.

1. LowThudd

LowThudd Friend of Leo's

Feb 11, 2014
    Sherman Oaks, Ca
    I have a guitar with an intermittent problem, and I believe the vol pot is the problem. I have heard DeoxIT mentioned to fix pot problem. Which one? I assume that Fader is the one to use, but I want to be sure.

2. viccortes285

viccortes285 Tele-Holic

Jan 14, 2017
    Phoenix

3. motwang

motwang Tele-Afflicted

Apr 11, 2010
    plattsburg mo.
    Just make sure that it also has a lubricant! Otherwise you'll have scratchier pots than before. It dries them out and can ruin them without a lubricant.

LowThudd and viccortes285 like this.

4. LowThudd

LowThudd Friend of Leo's

Feb 11, 2014
    Sherman Oaks, Ca
    Thanks I'll try it.

Anyone every use the Fader version? Says it's good for plastics and I think my mouse button could use some deoxit too. lol

5. The_Doctor [EV]

The_Doctor [EV] Tele-Meister

Jul 22, 2014
    Virginia
    I was gonna actually post a similar thread, but I figure maybe I'll just ask for help here?

Was trying to get some better operation out of a five-way rotary pickup selector in my guitar, tried some plastic-safe contact cleaner purchased at Wal-Mart, and it seemed to ALMOST do the job, but now the switch has locked up. Will only turn by forcing it with pliers. I'm, thusly, assuming I've just done what you've told this member to not do.

Is this repairable with the correct stuff, or is the whole switch a write-off at this point?

6. motwang

motwang Tele-Afflicted

Apr 11, 2010
    plattsburg mo.
    Of that I'm not sure! I'm only passing on what I've been told. I'd try it , what can you lose at this point?. You may have to repeatedly spray , let set, work knob, repeat. I've cleaned up several old Peavey amps doing this. Most of the cleaners I've seen have a lubricant. If you can't find DeOxit just make sure it contains a lubricant.

LowThudd likes this.

7. LowThudd

LowThudd Friend of Leo's

Feb 11, 2014
    Sherman Oaks, Ca
    Well, I bought the "F" typer as it said it was safe for plastics. Not only did it clean up the pots on my hollowbody, it also fixed my Mouse Right button. lol

Good stuff.

Clifford1 likes this.

8. LowThudd

LowThudd Friend of Leo's

Feb 11, 2014
    Sherman Oaks, Ca
    Just fixed my other hollowbody. Love this stuff.

9. mtjo62

mtjo62 Tele-Holic

Jul 17, 2008
    StatesVegas, NC
    Look up MG Chemicals. They make good contact cleaning products and usually a few bucks less expensive than the Deoxit brand.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2018
    LowThudd likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.