Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Which Delay Pedal?

Discussion in 'Pedal/Effects Owners Clubs' started by johnnywizzo, Dec 3, 2018.

1. johnnywizzo

johnnywizzo Tele-Meister

Dec 20, 2014
    Vermont
    I want to buy a new delay pedal that has both modulation and reverse functions. Any suggestions?

2. Bella_Caster

Bella_Caster TDPRI Member

Dec 1, 2018
    Portland, OR
    Check out the digitech obscura altered delay. It can do reverse and i believe the degrade knob *might* work as modulation, at least in tape delay mode. Its a sturdy pedal with tape delay emulation, analog, reverse and lofi. I really only use the tape delay setting (which i love).

Last edited: Dec 3, 2018
    johnnywizzo likes this.
  3. Random1643

Random1643 Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Mar 11, 2015
    Upper Midwest
    I am also in the market. Looking forward to this thread.

johnnywizzo likes this.
  4. johnnywizzo

johnnywizzo Tele-Meister

Dec 20, 2014
    Vermont
    Right now I'm torn between the Digitech Obscura and the Joyo D-Seed.

5. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Tele-Afflicted

Feb 11, 2006
    Near Athens GA USA
    How much do you want to spend?

I've got an Ammoon PockEcho on the way from China (it's currently having a party in NYC before it hits the road again). It has those features and was only $50. The question is going to be how good is it?

johnnywizzo likes this.
  6. beninma

beninma Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Mar 17, 2017
    Massachusetts
    The obscura doesn't really have modulation the way you think of it.. it's "modulations" are really "degradations". The tape degradation is pretty cool but most of the others didn't really grow on me.

I sold my Obscura a while ago after trying a Memory Boy.. the modulations on the Memory Boy are seemingly more interesting and it can be used to do a vibrato or chorus without delay as well which helped me make the decision.

One neat thing about the Obscura is you can turn the knobs while it's playing and it simulates the behavior of the analog delay type it's modeling (tape, analog, etc..).

The thing is it doesn't have an expression jack or anything so you can't actually use some of those features while playing unless you can bend over and fiddle with the knobs. Same thing with it's ability to self-oscillate, etc..

I don't have an Expression pedal to use with my Memory Boy but I'd argue if you want to fool around with the "effects" side of changing delay time, feedback, while you're actively playing the guitar you want a delay with an expression pedal jack.

johnnywizzo likes this.
  7. Random1643

Random1643 Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Mar 11, 2015
    Upper Midwest
    I'll add one comment, Johnny, based on my adventures with Joyo. The build quality is poor. I prefer to pay more for a pedal that won't crap out on me. Just one man's limited experience.

johnnywizzo likes this.
  8. jondanger

jondanger Poster Extraordinaire

Jan 27, 2011
    Charm City, MD
    Nothing wrong with a DD-7.

9. BB

BB Poster Extraordinaire

May 17, 2003
    Great Pacific NW
    I can't comment on new, but a digitech digidelay was great for my modulation needs. I rarely used the reverse function, but it was there when needed.

Now I have a used digitech hardwire delay... a DL8 I believe. I really like the modulated setting and again, reverse is there but freely used.

These may not suit your needs, but may be worth a try to see. I'm very happy with he hardwire pedal.

johnnywizzo likes this.
  10. Mpd2378

Mpd2378 TDPRI Member

Sep 6, 2017
    Uk
    Ehx canyon, Does it all.

johnnywizzo likes this.
  11. Alcee

Alcee TDPRI Member

Sep 7, 2018
    Live Oak, Fl
    Maxon AD9 with the Analogman mod. It does everything I need it to, but then, my needs are limited. I need slapback for the rockabilly tunes, some "space" for the reggae and jam tunes, and some modern sheen or shimmer for the British stuff. It's very hi fi and useful without being intrusive (if you like it like that).

Last edited: Dec 3, 2018
    johnnywizzo likes this.
  12. johnnywizzo

johnnywizzo Tele-Meister

Dec 20, 2014
    Vermont
    Thanks for all of the advice, guys. I just bought a new Joyo D-Seed for $51, I couldn't resist the bargain. Eventually I'd like to try the Canyon, it looks like it does do everything. So many pedals, so little time!

13. wulfenganck

wulfenganck Tele-Holic

Aug 18, 2015
    Seligenstadt, Germany
    Red Panda Raster -but only if you're willing to explore some really weird pitch shifting extravaganza. The modulation is great and it also has a reverse delay mode, but it is really designed for the more weird sounds.
    The delay is NOT a tape delay type, it's a digital delay, but I like it lot.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.