Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Which delay do I need?

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by lineboat, Sep 14, 2017.

1. lineboat

lineboat Friend of Leo's

Aug 6, 2012
    Alrighty boys and girls, I'm looking for a delay pedal.
    Something simple. I've had an Alter Ego, a Flashback, too many settings, and still not the sound I was after. I had a Line 6 but a buddy gave it to me and was hit or miss if it'd work or not. Seemed better than the others, but it was hard to tell. I'll only use it on a few songs, Comfortably Numb being one of them. So, what do I need? A Carbon Copy? Line 6?
    What are you all using that's simple?

2. RetroTeleRod

RetroTeleRod Friend of Leo's

Oct 24, 2012
    Oklahoma, USA
    My two favorites...
    Analog - Carbon Copy
    Digital - Boss DD-3
    Overall the Boss is more versatile, IMO.

karpis, McGlamRock and lineboat like this.

3. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh Poster Extraordinaire

Jun 13, 2013
    Initech, Inc.
    Malekko Ekko 616. Fantastic, clean analog delay. If you're interested in playing Floyd, that and a flanger on a slightly dirty amp gives you a perfect "Run Like Hell" tone.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2017
    lineboat and BorderRadio like this.

4. lineboat

lineboat Friend of Leo's

Aug 6, 2012
    Thanks Mr. Lumbergh! I'll check it out.

5. Mr. Lumbergh

Jun 13, 2013
    Initech, Inc.
    I think you'll dig it. My DD-2 has been collecting dust since I picked it up.
    It's made in the Pacific Northwest, too.

lineboat likes this.

6. lineboat

lineboat Friend of Leo's

Aug 6, 2012
    That part I really like!

7. Mr. Lumbergh

Jun 13, 2013
    Initech, Inc.
    I knew you would, that's why I made sure to mention it.

lineboat likes this.

8. cabra velha

cabra velha Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

Jan 21, 2016
    Estados Unidos

9. Tootone

Tootone Tele-Meister

Sep 4, 2015
    Perth WA
    Simple or cheap? Or Both?

Im surprised you found the flashback complex.

10. xjazzy

xjazzy Friend of Leo's

Feb 17, 2007
    Portugal
    Yes, the Flashback is pretty simple and I always find it odd that you don't find a toneprint that makes exactly what you want.
    I know that trying all of them is kind of hard. I feel lucky I found 2 that make what I want very quickly and never had to fuss with it again.

NICQ likes this.

11. lineboat

lineboat Friend of Leo's

Aug 6, 2012
    Well, I had a Flashback X4, and I don't do tone print or connect to a computer or any of that stuff. I really wish we had a local shop where some could be test driven, but that's not the case.

12. Penguinchit

Penguinchit TDPRI Member

Jul 14, 2017
    Minneapolis
    Boss DD-20 is what I use. Lots of options, great sound and still very simple. Nice price as well.

I went from the Flashback to the Boss and never regretted the decision.

Budda45ftw and michiganguitar like this.

13. theprofessor

theprofessor Tele-Afflicted

Aug 8, 2016
    Chattanooga, TN
    If you like analog delays, I think the Boss DM-2W is fantastic. It is simple and yet versatile. It's a wonderful warm-sounding delay with a great character. The standard setting gets you fantastic slap-back. The custom setting gives you longer delay times and is a bit crisper and cleaner.

lineboat likes this.

14. 985plowboy

985plowboy Tele-Afflicted

Feb 5, 2012
    South Louisiana
    I have a MXR carbon copy and it is pretty darn simple. Good tone. Very basic.
    Had a DD-6. Sold it and a few others the day I bought the CC.
    It's nearly indestructible. I'd hunt down a used one.

lineboat likes this.

15. Cheap Trills

Cheap Trills Tele-Meister

May 11, 2016
    Brooklyn, NY
    Happy to add my 2c on some pedals Ive owned as ive been on a delay journey--

Tc nova is my favorite sounding delay. It was like the first time I plugged into a twin reverb, I just thought, "ok, thats a great sound." It is a little too large for my portable pedal board so Ive tried a few others. I really like the carbon copy, but wanted a tap tempo although I think theres a new version that has a tap. I do regret selling it though. The redwhich violetta sounds very good and would do Gilmour really well I think but has slight volume boost built in which you cant change and that didnt work for me (selling it of anyone's interested). I had the JHS Panther Cub on my board for a while, it's very versatile and compact. The bosa dd7, sounded clean but artificial to me (yes, i know EJ uses it which is why I bought it, and I thought the same thing when I saw him live a few months ago. Personal preference I guess) also had no tap. I like the mooer ana echo. Short delay time, like a third of a second, but i think it sounds good. The other mooer delays sounded very digital or "stiff" to me, bought all of them on amazon (they are pretty cheap) and sent back all but the ana echo. I am currently running with a Carl Martin Red Repeat v2 and I like it a lot -- more transparent that the panther cub but less features.

Hope that's helpful

lineboat likes this.

16. michiganguitar

michiganguitar TDPRI Member

Sep 15, 2017
    Metro Detroit
    Same here. Recently found a used DD-20 for a great price and traded in my Flashback X4 a few days later. The DD-20 is simple but gives me all I want: nice sounds, several presets, and takes up less space on my board than the X4. It even sounds warmer to me than the X4. The only thing it doesn't have is a quarter/dotted eighth setting (which did sound great on the X4) but I rarely use that anyway. I figure should I ever need that, I'll pick up a used Flashback or mini. Otherwise, totally happy with the DD-20.

Penguinchit likes this.

17. kafka

kafka Tele-Meister

Oct 18, 2013
    Maryland
    I like the MXR Carbon Copy and Catalinbread Adineko. The Way Huge Aqua Puss is good if you want something brighter that's kind of a surf delay.

lineboat and thefruitfarmer like this.

18. jimash

jimash Tele-Afflicted

Nov 5, 2013
    NJ
    used digitech digidelay. $30-50.
    Digital 4 seconds
    analog emulation
    chorus delay ( modulated)
    Reverse
    8 second loop
    tap tempo

lineboat likes this.

19. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Friend of Leo's

Feb 12, 2010
    Jacksonville
    Delay pedals are like OD pedals which are like women..you have your basic blondes, brunettes and redheads...

lineboat likes this.

20. Budda45ftw

Budda45ftw Tele-Meister

Aug 21, 2017
    Rochester NY
    The DD20, and it does have dotted 8ths... I've had one on my board since 2004, great pedal

Penguinchit likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.