Which Bigsby for a recent American Standard?

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by scruss, Apr 10, 2010.

1. scruss

scruss TDPRI Member

I'd like to put a Bigsby tremolo on my 2005 American Standard Telecaster. It has the newer three-screw six-block bridge, not the vintage style "Ash-Tray" bridge. I realise that some drilling will have to be done, and I'm getting it installed professionally.

After searching the forums, I'm not finding a clear solution. Should I go with:
    • a B5 plus a Vibramate and some vintage-style saddles, or
    • a B16, or
    • a ZZ Guitarworks Telecaster Bigsby Deluxe EZ-Mount System W/B3R Bridge Assembly?
    Any assistance appreciated, thanks.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2010
  2. usmcboltaction

usmcboltaction TDPRI Member

I put the B5 on mine and I love it. I have never played one of the loose bigsbys that I hear of, but everyone who plays mine says it feels nice and tight. I found the B5 with the fender emblem for between $60-70 on ebay.

I put mine on using my original ashtray and 3 saddle bridge. I saw how to do that on a thread in here somewhere. If I find the thread again, I will edit this with a link...

Good luck.

3. scruss

scruss TDPRI Member

Thanks, but I have the 6-block non-ashtray bridge. They are quite different.

4. usmcboltaction

usmcboltaction TDPRI Member

I believe that the floating bridge comes with all the kits. I may be wrong, but you may find that you cannot keep those blocks, since they don't allow the strings to pass thru them.

The zz kit looks pretty cool, but you can buy a B5 that has its own bridge for $60-70, and that thing is $335. For under $150 you could get a B5 and an old ashtray and print some pics off this site of how to mod the tray, and bring that to your guitar guy. I am not a guy who values looks as much, so the pretty chrome on the zz just looks like a waste of money to me. Like I said, I did mine myself with the instructions that came in the kit and a dremel. I am not a pro or anything, and it turned out great. (pic under video)

Here is a vid on youtube that shows how a B5 kit is installed. If you are getting it done by a pro, just buy the B5 and he will do all this.

Attached Files:

• 52.jpg
      52.jpg
      File size:
      51.1 KB
      Views:
  5. scruss

scruss TDPRI Member

Yes, that looks pretty good. But I'd prefer not to drill, so the ZZGuitarworks B3R kit is for me.

Though it's not a Bigsby, the Stetsbar also has a no-drill option for Vintage (4 hole) and Standard (3 hole) bridges.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.