Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

Which bender advice (B vs G for me)

Discussion in 'B-Bender Forum' started by devonteran, Jun 19, 2017 at 1:03 PM.

1. devonteran

devonteran TDPRI Member

Aug 27, 2009
    kansas city
    I'm a tele and pedal steel player. I want to get a bender installed in my tele. I've used a hipshot B&G, but I find that it gets in the way of my right hand technique for some styles.

The question:
    I find myself naturally doing mostly G string bends when I play without a bender. If that's the case for my usual style, is it better to go G or B? I feel like G may be the ticket, but maybe a B bender would open up more for me since I don't find myself doing as often with just my left hand technique. Part of why I do more G bends is that for the band I play in currently they are just a more girthy, full bend.

Any advice from those who've installed benders? It's just hard to know before cutting up my tele.

Right now I'm mostly looking at Matney. He seems to have good reviews and is very affordable compared to other benders, but he only does one bender, so I'd have to make a choice.

2. RollingBender

RollingBender Tele-Holic Vendor Member

May 14, 2011
    SW Minnesota
    I think you may have answered your own question. Many of the typical G bends can be done with your fretting hand...most of the typical B bends cannot.

3. jmiles

jmiles Friend of Leo's

Nov 29, 2003
    ohio
    I am also a pedal steeler. If I could have only one bender, it would be G. You can play anything a B bender does, just in a different position. Plus you can do a ton of things you can't do with a B bender. And you can get the root on top. More realistic steel moves if you like to do that. I angle my G lever up at about 45 degrees, and play it with my right wrist. Doesn't interfere wi my right hand at all. Can still palm block, etc.. I'm strictly a finger picker, and rest my wrist or forearm very gently on the lever.

RoscoeElegante likes this.
  4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. RoscoeElegante

RoscoeElegante Tele-Afflicted

Feb 19, 2015
    TooFarFromCanada
    Ah, the classic forum situation: sensible, contradictory advice!

I've got a funkified Tele w/ both a G Hipshot and a B Parsons-style (strapknob activated) Hipshot built-in.

If I had to choose one, I'd go with the B-bender as the more "essential" one. But, again, that's a tough call--one that only personal preference(s) and habit(s) could determine. So--classic useless conclusion warning!--playing both kinds for a while is the only way to answer this. See what you like, being open to surprising yourself. It sure is fun to explore.

6. RollingBender

RollingBender Tele-Holic Vendor Member

May 14, 2011
    SW Minnesota
    From the standpoint of a PSG player also playing guitar, I'd also add more weight too jmiles suggestion than my own.

7. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Telefied Ad Free Member

Nov 15, 2009
    Austin, Tx
  8. Silverface

Silverface Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Mar 2, 2003
    Lawndale CA
    Having played a B bender since the 70's and also double benders - I disagree with the above statement. There are many B string bends that are often played inside chord moving positions that simply do not translate well to the different relationships between the strings. Many also sound "dead" the the D string is used in place of the G.

Yes, you can physically play B string bends on the string - but they just do not sound right and IMO you'll find a strap-activated B-bender a far more useful mechanical device.

9. Pineears

Pineears Tele-Meister

Jun 25, 2016
    Texas
    I've had a Rolling G Bender on and off in addition to a strap pull B Bender. The G will stay off, just not the sound I like, and I didn't find any position advantage. You can play anything a G Bender does, just in a different position.

10. J. Hayes

J. Hayes Friend of Leo's

May 18, 2005
    Virginia Beach, Va.
    I have quite a few bender guitars which are mostly double benders, both B and G and I'd definitely recommend the B over the G any day. I have 11 guitars with Bigsby Palm Pedals, a P/W Tele, two Strats with McEwan B Benders, and one Strat with a Hipshot B Bender. All of the guitars with the Strap type B Benders also have a Rolling bender for the G string... I play out three nights a week as the only lead in the band and with the variety of tunes we do I find the B bender is the most used of the two.. If I could only have one bender it'd have to be the B...........JH in Va..... 100_2180.JPG

11. asatfan

asatfan Tele-Afflicted

B for me....but I've never had a G bender. B just seems more natural, if that makes any sense at all....

12. jmiles

jmiles Friend of Leo's

Nov 29, 2003
    ohio
    "You can play anything a G Bender does, just in a different position."

I disagree. You have more "inside" options with the G. You can get the root on top too. Very steel-like if you like that.
    11-bend up to 13.
    Stuff like that. I use the G inside in many moving chordal passages. I can play the complete steel intro to The Byrds version of "You're Still On My Mind" with the G bender. but not with the B bender. I will use the benders and then finger bend the string for one more half-step.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.