Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Which amp sims does Mustang III nail the closest?

Discussion in 'Modeling Amps, Plugins and Apps' started by Chancerubbage, Jan 11, 2014.

1. sulaco

sulaco Tele-Meister

Aug 24, 2012
    Nashville, TN
    The only two stock presets in the M3 and M4 I found in the store were Pigs Can Fly (David Gilmour, 70's era big fuzz with delay) and Tweed Sugar (tweed keith richards early stones). Those two presets were spot on, but you have to be a HUGE fan of either band to really appreciate them.

Right off the bat spin that big dial around to the "Basic (amp name)" presets and immediately turn the gain down, the volume up to about 8, and the master at no less than 3 to really hear what the amp is producing. Only then does the mustang make sense. Otherwise it's just another digital modeling amp.

I'm seriously in love with the 59 bassman, 65 deluxe, British Watts (hiwatt), and the Brit 70's and Brit 80's amp models. Between my USA Strat and 61 SG, I can dial in about any friggin tone I want. After 15 years of tubes-only, I'm a Mustang believer now. I play exclusively through this Mustang 3 now!

2. efjbdejong

efjbdejong TDPRI Member

Apr 23, 2014
    The Netherlands
    Ok thx will do so. Will be checking it out against a super champ x2 and a ibanez tsa15.

3. tele salivas

tele salivas Poster Extraordinaire

Sep 5, 2008
    Tulsa
    I couldn't tell the difference in the music store. The display model presets had been worked over by the manager of the department and I tried it side by side with a Twin Reverb, a Deluxe and a Princeton. I wanted to be able to tell the difference, but I couldn't.
    I bought a Mustang III v.2 the next day. It is awesome! It's like having a music store in a box.

4. sulaco

sulaco Tele-Meister

Aug 24, 2012
    Nashville, TN
    Hah, I did the same! Had 2 fellow gear-heads with me so we could get 3 opinions. Tried M3 V2 next to a SS22, DRRI, PRRI, TRRI and after tweaking all the knobs on each amp to match what we had the knobs set to on the M3 model, they were all damned identical. It was astounding.

5. tele salivas

tele salivas Poster Extraordinaire

Sep 5, 2008
    Tulsa
    I know, and then you crank it up, I mean really crank it and the sound gets better. I thought that's when it would all go to hell, but it warmed up. I think that Celestion speaker is pretty good!

6. Jim Dep

Jim Dep Friend of Leo's

May 23, 2010
    Northern Colorado
    I've only had a chance to set the Mustang III next to a Twin but was at least able to get the Mustang dialed in to where the tone knobs responded the same.

Besides Shane's (IntheBlues) presets, TW's, "Music Matty's" and a couple others, I've only had YouTube videos for matching other amp models. I set one up at home for the 1959 Bassman model that I got from a vid, took those settings to a music store, where I had a chance to plug the settings into their display Mustang III, and crank it up a little. It responded GREAT ! I had someone else play through it so I could listen from a distance. That amp drew a bit of a crowd, amazed at the fullness of the tone, coming out of a single 12 inch speaker, no less.

7. holgaguy

holgaguy Tele-Afflicted

Apr 23, 2003
    Massachusetts
    Yup. The "feel" is always the thing that sets tube amps apart from SS amps. I play both and after using my Mustang for 2 months I went back to my DRRI. The DRRI "felt" much better to me! That said, I'll still continue using both amps.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.