Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Which amp sims does Mustang III nail the closest?

Discussion in 'Modeling Amps, Plugins and Apps' started by Chancerubbage, Jan 11, 2014.

1. TwangyWhammy

TwangyWhammy Tele-Afflicted

Jan 10, 2014
    Under the DownUnder
    Cheers mate! :D

2. TeleTex82

TeleTex82 Friend of Leo's

May 4, 2010
    San Antone
    I decided Im getting one of these babies, either the III or the IV as soon as I get back from NYC next week. Just around the time I'll be receiving my new (to me) birth year 82 Les Paul Custom.

3. Chancerubbage

Chancerubbage Tele-Meister

Jan 10, 2014
    Tennessee
    My assumption would be:

USB out from Mustang would default to its wet signal ( not send dry without some tweaking via a plug in or a parameter.)

And GarageBand would expect a dry direct guitar.

That is, they are both acting totally independently.

An easy test would be setting either GarageBand or the mustang to something clean, such as vocal in on GarageBand.

4. Chancerubbage

Jan 10, 2014
    Tennessee
    Ableton Live LE should be able to let you record the Guitar direct signal at the same time. You may not want to use that dry direct guitar in the mix, but having that available at the same time is real handy for:

Seeing where to edit, comping multiple takes
    Re-amping that performance, or edited performance even more appropriately.

5. Jim Dep

Jim Dep Friend of Leo's

May 23, 2010
    Northern Colorado
    This vid covers some good things to think about when choosing between
    the Mustang III and Mustang IV:

6. Chancerubbage

Jan 10, 2014
    Tennessee
    IV and V (one is combo, one is head, both have more watts than iii) both will allow you to run the mustang stereo into two speaker cabs (one being the combos speaker in the combos case) for more spacious chorus Leslie and delay effects.

7. 3rdeyelevel

3rdeyelevel TDPRI Member

Feb 4, 2013
    Indianapolis
    I've had my Mustang III for about 3 weeks now and have played out with it about 6 or 7 times. It is plenty loud for the venues I am doing plus it has XLR outs so if need be it can go into a direct box. Truthfully, I haven't even turned the master over 4. Everyone seems to like the sound too.

8. Acmebatmansuit

Acmebatmansuit TDPRI Member

Jul 3, 2013
    Centennial, CO
    I just upgraded from the Mustang II to the III, (both V2) and I'm just amazed at the difference in tone and overall sound. My Tele loves the 65 Twin setting, especially. I'm finding that favorite presets on the II aren't my favorites on the III. The open back and Celestion speaker make a huge difference. Some of Shane's (intheblues) presets finally start to pop. People really aren't kidding when they call II a practice amp. I think it's plenty loud enough to hold it's own in a band, especially if there's a PA, but the tone and heft just change dramatically with III.

9. Jim Dep

Jim Dep Friend of Leo's

May 23, 2010
    Northern Colorado
    That's true. What's nice about the III is that it's a bit lighter and works for me practicing at home in a residential neighborhood. It's a serious little grab and go amp.

When I want the stereo effects from using two amps, I can either run a stereo effects pedal and hook two amps up or run a line from the Mustang III's effects SEND into the AMP in on my other amp. Works great!

If I was gigging, I'd probably pick up a IV or V (with 4/12 cab) just to have the flexibility.

10. Jim Dep

Jim Dep Friend of Leo's

May 23, 2010
    Northern Colorado

Thanks for the review comparing the II to the III. I didn't realize there was much difference in tone at a lower practice volume but I'll sure take your word for it. I didn't expect much of a difference between the preset tones either, but the way you explained make perfect sense, with the difference in the speaker and the open back. I knew having the LCD screen on the M III was a big plus, but now I realize there's a quality difference in tone.

I'm glad you made the switch :)

11. efjbdejong

efjbdejong TDPRI Member

Apr 23, 2014
    The Netherlands
    Hi,

I am on the lookout for a Fender sound. I am pursuing Michael Landau's sound as we do some work of him. Landau uses deville's 4x10 live. Does the mustang that sound. So just 1 very good clean sound to use with all my pedals.
    Thx

EJ

12. Jim Dep

Jim Dep Friend of Leo's

May 23, 2010
    Northern Colorado
    Yeah! If he uses a 4x10 live, you might consider going with the Mustang V with the separate head and 4/12 cab. Then use a simulated 4x10 cab and you might nail his tone. Maybe a Mustang IV could get you there too.

Using the basic amp models at the back of the menu will give you a great clean platform for your pedals. You might find that you don't need all your pedals once you discover what all the onboard effects can do. With the IV or V, you'll be running them in stereo if you want.

13. TwangyWhammy

Jan 10, 2014
    Under the DownUnder
    You may not get a reply unless someone has both a Deville and a Mustang in this forum.

From my experience of creating Mustang pre-set (tailor-matching a tube amp side by side comparison), I'm confident a deville sound is possible - BUT you would need a thorough understanding of how all the optional adjustments interact with each other. I might suggest you go to the 'intheblues' gear review website and request if Shane would be willing to make a Mustang preset for you (he would have to find a deville amp). I would imagine a Mustang IV with 2x12 speaker cabinet might emulate it better than the Mustang III with 1x12 cabinet.

But getting the deville sound is one thing - and getting the Michael Landau sound is quite another.

14. efjbdejong

efjbdejong TDPRI Member

Apr 23, 2014
    The Netherlands
    Of course I don't want Landau's sound exactly, but in that ballpark. You must know what I mean. He has a Fender, yet somewhat thicker, clean sound. Then he has the maxon sd9 almost always on and uses his volume on the guitar to clean or crank his sound.
    So basically just 1 very good clean sound is needed for me.
    I have a all tube laney now, but it just hasn't that Fender clean sound.
    The Fender clean 6L6 sound is what I am looking for.

A deville is here €900 while a mustang III is €300.

15. TwangyWhammy

Jan 10, 2014
    Under the DownUnder
    The Mustang is well known for having excellent Fender valve amp simulation presets. I suppose Fender knows what a Fender amp should sound like, so their sims do reflect this knowledge.

The Deville 212 has two - 12" Celestion® G12P-80, and the Deville 410 has four - 10" Fender® Special Design Eminence®

The Mustang III has one 12" Celestion speaker, the Mustang IV has two 12" Celestion speakers, so I think the Mustang IV might be able to emulate the Deville better. However, the Mustang III might be able to get close too.

The Mustang III and IV does not have a Deville amp sim but they do have the following Fender amp sims:
    Fender '57 Champ
    Fender '57 Deluxe
    Fender '57 Twin
    Fender '59 Bassman
    Fender '65 Princeton
    Fender '65 Deluxe Reverb
    Fender '65 Twin Reverb

On all these amp sims, SAG and BIAS are adjustable so perhaps you could try to re-model the Twin Reverb sim to emulate the Deville 212, or
    re-model the Bassman sim to emulate the Deville 410.

In addition to these amp sims, the Mustang also has several Speaker Cabinet sims:
    57DLX - Deluxe, one 12" Jensen® P12Q with Alnico Magnet
    BSSMN - Bassman, four 10" Jensen® P10R with Alnico Magnet
    65DLX - Deluxe, one 12" Jensen® C12K with Ceramic Magnet
    65PRN - Princeton, one 10" Jensen® C10R with Ceramic Magnet
    CHAMP - Vibro-Champ, one 8" Weber® Special Design with Alnico Magnet
    4x12M - ?
    2x12C - ?
    4x12G - ?
    65TWN - Twin Reverb, two - 12" Jensen® C12K with Ceramic Magnets
    4x12V - ?
    SS212 - Super-Sonic, two 12 inch, Celestion® Vintage 30 Speakers
    SS112 - Super-Sonic, one 12 inch, Celestion® Vintage 30 Speaker
    You can mix and match any Fender amp sim together with any speaker cabinet sim, so the sonic behavioural possibilities are very extensive.

Furthermore, the Mustangs also have ten reverb modules to choose from:
    Small Hall Reverb
    Large Hall Reverb
    Small Room Reverb
    Large Room Reverb
    Small Plate Reverb
    Large Plate Reverb
    Ambient Reverb
    Arena Reverb
    '63 Fender Spring Reverb
    '65 Fender Spring Reverb

Level, Decay, Dwell, Diffusion, and Tone can be adjusted on ALL of these reverb modules.

Seeing as the Mustangs have a very comprehensive array of parameter adjustments, there is a very good chance that you can achieve the sound you are after and save that as one custom-made preset. You can create and save up to 100 new custom presets on the Mustang III if you want/need to (but 4 to 5 presets are more than enough for me, so I ignore the rest).

Of course you can buy the Deville to get the 'real' thing, but remember that the Mustang can convincingly achieve many other valve amp sounds (not just Fender amps) so it's very good value for money.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2014

16. Jim Dep

Jim Dep Friend of Leo's

May 23, 2010
    Northern Colorado
    Thanks for posting that list, TW.

When you've got all these options laid out in front of you, you can see all the combinations and fine tuning you can do. Every time you switch amps, you are also switching the tubes and circuitry that goes with it. Then you have all these speaker combos to work with! All I can say is that it's fun and intriguing to have all this at your disposal.

What I'd do is get a list going of all the YouTube videos of a Fender Blues DeVille being demoed without pedals and find the amp from the list that comes closest to you ear. Find the basic amp models at the end of the Mustang menu and start off with those for your foundation.

Maybe start with a Fender SS and use a Fender Bassman 4x10 cab, lower the gain as much as possible on the amp and see if you're close. You got 6L6's in the BD and 6V6's in the SS, but the Super Sonic is capable of getting very nice cleans, probably not the headroom though, but again, the Mustang's parameters can make up the difference.

The odds are pretty good you are going to get very close. Add your necessary effects and adjust the levels.

Off and running!

17. efjbdejong

efjbdejong TDPRI Member

Apr 23, 2014
    The Netherlands
    Ok thx guys. I think I will try one in a store if I can. Just to see if it's tube enough for me.

Thanks again

EJ

18. Jim Dep

Jim Dep Friend of Leo's

May 23, 2010
    Northern Colorado
    Whatever preset you try, make sure you pull the GAIN down and put a muzzle on the effects to get the true sound hidden underneath.

Good luck.

19. jaytee32

jaytee32 Tele-Meister

May 30, 2011
    Netherlands
    EJ: when you try it in a store, make sure to check out the high numbered presets (80s and 90s).These are the basic amp models without tons of effects. That way you know what you've got to work with. Most of the presets in the lower numbers have lots of effects added on.

20. Jim Dep

Jim Dep Friend of Leo's

May 23, 2010
    Northern Colorado
    +1

For some reason, on a few of the basic amp models, the gain was left up. Even with some of the basic amps at the end of the menu, the gain needs to come down, IMO.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.