Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Which amp sims does Mustang III nail the closest?

Discussion in 'Modeling Amps, Plugins and Apps' started by Chancerubbage, Jan 11, 2014.

1. Jim Dep

Jim Dep Friend of Leo's

May 23, 2010
    Northern Colorado
    I've found a few recording of the Mustang going through USB and all comments have been positive. I haven't heard any problems with latency issues with the drivers that Fender recommends.

Later this week, I'll be picking up the latest version of PC Music's " Band in a Box" and working on more backing tracks; along with doing some upgrades on my older tracks. I'll have a chance to see how the Mustang records over the tracks in real time and report back.

2. Drubbing

Drubbing Friend of Leo's

Ironically, most of the fizz fanatics are on Fenders own forum, which is (badly) staffed by support staff that sound like bots half the time.

3. Chancerubbage

Chancerubbage Tele-Meister

Jan 10, 2014
    Tennessee
    I think the issue was really that some people actually had the fizz, an easy solution or not, and then about 9 people who didn't have the issue at all then thought they did, without ever actually hearing what it sounded like, which if the example I heard on YouTube was an example, was much more on the blatant hey whoa side than subtle side.. But my memory could be wrong because by that time, the v.2 had already been released and I knew to look for it.

By the time enough have bought a device to create a mass of YouTube reviews, you might be looking at a vid of a piece of equipment that is two years old and either no longer available, or updated. The flip side of that coin is early NAMM reviews for something that takes almost as long to distribute itself across the market in numbers you can even find one.

4. Tle4

Tle4 Tele-Afflicted

Dec 28, 2010
    Warrington, Pa. USA

I have never used it to record. I don't know if when connected and recording, everything comes through the headphone or speaker without lag. I would imagine the guitar at least would not have lag when recording

5. Jim Dep

Jim Dep Friend of Leo's

May 23, 2010
    Northern Colorado
    That's exactly what the Fender tech told me too. He said that the Fender forum support staff could have nipped it in the butt; but for some reason, didn't.

So he's getting the phone calls and then asking the Mustang owners if they'd gotten any help on the forums. After he got told "no" a few times he realized that the support staff has a serious failure to communicate.

Unfortunately, some amps with the fizz symptoms got returned and Fender gets the bad press. It could have been resolved at home in a matter of seconds.

6. captainc

captainc Tele-Meister

May 22, 2013
    PA
    "Thanks for the feedback, we’ll make sure the information gets to the right folks"

LOL

I wonder if there’s a pile of Mustang III v.1s sitting somewhere in a storage room at fender that just need a reset. Sad.

7. Chancerubbage

Jan 10, 2014
    Tennessee
    The flip side is- who wants a surprise fizz popping up in the middle of a heated battle of the bands? There you are, in the middle of a hot solo about to discover the fourth chord, then it's 'excuse me ladies and gents while I reset my amp' or 'I meant to do that, dinnit just rock your world?'

As many times as 'did you try cutting it off and turning it back on?' might work for troubleshooting, it still feels a bit lame to have to offer that as a 'solution'.

8. Drubbing

Drubbing Friend of Leo's

Once they were reset the first time, they were fixed. It wasn't a 'reset every time it happens' thing.

9. Jim Dep

Jim Dep Friend of Leo's

May 23, 2010
    Northern Colorado
    That only happened to me once, played daily since last May. I have worked on gigs with other guitarists that had blown a tube or had a capacitor explode. I was up in Canada a few years back with a guitarist using a Fender Twin. His whole power amp crapped out on him.

Always good to have a backup, regardless of what your amp cost. I wouldn't hesitate to use my Mustang on a gig. Many players do and I haven't heard ONE episode where they had a electrical malfunction of some sort.

10. Jim Dep

Jim Dep Friend of Leo's

May 23, 2010
    Northern Colorado
    That's about it.....it really is sad. I wouldn't be surprised if those returns got a reboot and were resold at a cheap price; sold as "Refurbished".

11. TwangyWhammy

TwangyWhammy Tele-Afflicted

Jan 10, 2014
    Under the DownUnder
    Mustang and GarageBand

I was playing around with a downloaded jamming track (from the "March Jam Track" thread) so I decided to test the recording capability of my Mustang III v.1

I used the USB chord and connected it to my MacBookPro laptop. Just so happened that I had GarageBand open, checking a previous project. I was under the understanding that I first needed to download the free 'Ableton' software before I could record with the Mustang.

Much to my surprise, GarageBand recognised the Mustang and also displayed a photo of the amp selected in the 'Real Instruments' window (just like it does in Fuse). However, when I selected a different preset channel on the Mustang, the GarageBand amplifier photo didn't change. So I thought I needed to scroll the channels from inside GarageBand - but hang on… what's the Mesa Boogie doing in here?? :eek: … and also an Orange Stacker which isn't selectable from the v.1 amp's firmware! :eek: There's also a few other cool amps in there - one photo looks like a 4 speaker Blues Deville. I'm assuming these amp sims are coming from GarageBand's data bank, and not the Mustang.

Anyway I'm not sure if these sims are accurate, but they sound nice and "tubey" to me, so I gave them a shot. Latency issues? Well if there were any, sending a Vox AC simulation into another Vox AC simulation should've sounded like the inside of a food processor but it didn't. The only thing I noticed was a buzzing noise probably from being too close to the laptop and 2 fluorescent lamps on my table - but the the noise gate module in Garageband took good care of it without degrading the tones. Not exactly sure what's going on, since changing the amp presets on the Mustang did change the in-coming sound characteristic, I just cycled through the various amp sims available from within GarageBand until I found one I liked (same way you would do it with the Fender sims in the Mustang amp by itself).

Here's a sampling of the Mustang III v.1 as recorded thru GarageBand's amp sim options.

[MP3]http://k007.kiwi6.com/hotlink/o1ow79tvbe/Twangy_Whammy_Blues.mp3[/MP3]

PICK-UP & AMP SET-UPS:
    My Nashville Deluxe MIM has been modded with a Wilkinson Strat Tremolo.
    Neck - Fender Tele N3 Noiseless (stock pup from another guitar)
    Mid & Bridge - modded GuitarHeads Mini-Rail Humbuckers

• 1st blues round - neck pup only.
    Mustang '60s Brit' preset output to Garageband Vox AC30 amp sim at moderate gain.

• 2nd round - selector pos 4, mid & bridge pups.
    Mustang '60s Brit' preset output to GarageBand Blues Deville amp sim at high gain.

• 3rd round - back to 1st setting
    But this time the Vox AC30 sim was set with a higher gain.

• 4th round - bridge pup only.
    Mustang 'British Steel' preset output to Garageband Orange Stack amp sim at moderate gain - but the overdrive module coming from the Mustang preset was in effect.

• 5th last round - neck pup only.
    Mustang '60s Brit' preset output to Garageband Blues Deville amp sim at higher gain.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2014

12. Chancerubbage

Jan 10, 2014
    Tennessee
    Haven't listened yet but...

Are those stacked sounds or are the garage band sims getting a dry direct signal from the Mustang? I would try a neutral garage band input such as a vocal channel, and see if you are getting the mustangs sims by themselves or perhaps a dry only signal BECAUSE...

One of the big deals about the Ableton live LE bundle, other than just tossing you a freebie, was that it had a plug in smart enough to recognize both the dry (your guitar signal before any mustang sim) and the Wet ( the simulated amp and effects signal at once.

It would be great if the recording thru USB gave you both channels at once with any other DAW you might be using. You can reamp the same performance later, or use the cleaner waveform to determine where edit pouts should be compared to distorted and delayed waveform with no apparent quiet spots between notes.

You are not seeing the Mustangs sims in the GarageBand interface, but garagebands sims of course.

13. Jim Dep

Jim Dep Friend of Leo's

May 23, 2010
    Northern Colorado

Wow, TW, IMPRESSIVE! Very nice playing and tones! :cool:

I'm guessing that you have the latest GarageBand version? I was set to get the new version of Band in a Box for making more backing tracks, but now I've got to look into GB. They're probably different enough that I could justify using both......but I'll have to make a choice.

That is very cool that GB recognized the Mustang and interfaced so nicely with it. This is another example of the extras you get with the Mustang , which help make this amp fun along with being productive.

14. Acmebatmansuit

Acmebatmansuit TDPRI Member

Jul 3, 2013
    Centennial, CO
    The new amp sims, etc, these are just for recording?

Last edited: Mar 7, 2014

15. TeleTex82

TeleTex82 Friend of Leo's

May 4, 2010
    San Antone
    Man, that just set my Gas to Ludicrous Speed.

16. Chancerubbage

Jan 10, 2014
    Tennessee
    Don't confuse the GarageBand sims with the mustangs sims.

The makers of the amplitube app helped develop the mustang and fuse software with Fender, and they may have helped build garagebands sims as well, it may even be possible that some midi info might be traveling over the USB cable, such as patch change info.

If you are saying the GarageBand sim changes when you turn the knob or stomp the footswitch on the mustang, that is quite a discovery. But you could easily be seeing those GarageBand sims totally independently.

The GarageBand guitar amp sims for example, all have 10 knobs IIRC- master volumes,EQ, and tremelos on sims apparently based on amps that never had master volumes,EQ, tremelos in real life.

17. Jim Dep

Jim Dep Friend of Leo's

May 23, 2010
    Northern Colorado

18. TwangyWhammy

Jan 10, 2014
    Under the DownUnder
    Thanks Jim.

I just used the Garageband that comes free on any iMac or Macbook. I only recorded in GB out of curiosity and took it out on a quick spin because I'm already familiar with it.

I'm intending to load Ableton and see how that interfaces with the Mustang. I'm just postponing that until I get my Mustang III v.2 replacement. When I bought my amp I clearly specified to my music store that I wanted the v.2 but as it turned out, the one they brought in was a v.1 so they're sorting out a swap when their next shipment arrives. I'm allowed to hang on to the v.1 in the meantime.

19. TwangyWhammy

Jan 10, 2014
    Under the DownUnder
    The in-built Mustang amp sims are for live and as I understand it - also for recording when interfaced with the Ableton software.

The amp sims specific to GarageBand are only for recording within GarageBand.

20. TwangyWhammy

Jan 10, 2014
    Under the DownUnder
    Could very well be.

I still don't understand exactly what going on between the Mustangs firmware and GarageBand's amp sim interface.

What I expected to happen when stacking two amp sims in series - is that the Mustang sim would act as a pre-amp (wet signal) which would throw the GarageBand sim into a compounded overdrive - OR - seeing as both sims have a tube-break-up characteristic, the clean tones would conflict and garble at the breaking point - but for some strange reason this doesn't happen. When I swap between 'clean' presets in the Mustang, only the EQ seems to change - but the amp knob settings in GB don't move.

So I assumed that the Mustang USB patch was sending a dry signal and that only the GarageBand sim was in effect. But when I switched to a different Mustang preset channel with an effect, whatever effects that are active in that preset (delay, reverb, or overdrive) carried over into the instrument feed into GarageBand. So the signal isn't dry… strange!

Oh, by the way - GarageBand also has it's own array of stomp box effects and every single one of them sounded horrible, lol. So it was a godsend that the effects modules that are activated from the Mustang was coming through.

Anyway, it is what it is… and recording with GB is a viable optional alternative. But to get the authentic Fender amp sims, I'm sure using Ableton software is the way to go.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.