Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Which amp sims does Mustang III nail the closest?

Discussion in 'Modeling Amps, Plugins and Apps' started by Chancerubbage, Jan 11, 2014.

1. Chancerubbage

Chancerubbage Tele-Meister

Jan 10, 2014
    Tennessee
    I currently have a Mustang III. In the past I have owned a pro jr, a Silverface Princeton, a boogie mkII, and a fender Super 60 (sure red knobs, but did a dark grungy overdrive well). I've a tele, and a Japanese ibanez AM-50.
    I favor reverb and tremolo so amps without them get less attention from me. The boogie could do clean and crunch, or crunch and lead, but never had all three tonal spaces on tap at once without a ton of knob tweaking. I've never been a huge pedal hound- never had an overdrive or distortion pedal.

Assuming Fender gets close to its own tube amps in its modeling, I am starting to favor the 65' Deluxe Reverb model, and wondering if I should get a DRRI, or the 68 custom deluxe reverb Silverface vintage modified, which I think I could be happy with with just one pedal.

Is the 65'deluxe reverb a reliable model in the mustang III, enough to guide shopping for a real tube amp?

I also like the vox and Orange and Marshall models.

2. Tle4

Tle4 Tele-Afflicted

Dec 28, 2010
    Warrington, Pa. USA
    I think any Fender Tube amp based off the BF and SF models are great sounding amps. To me they all have that great basic Fender clean tone. It is more of a matter of picking the right size for your needs. I have a Mustang III also and I can tell you that you will like the real thing much better. I like my Mustang and it sounds good but it dont beat the real thing.

3. kend

kend Tele-Meister

Jan 12, 2014
    Vancouver
    I LOVE my Mustang 3 VS. 2 -- the most enjoyable amp I have ever owned.

Here's a comparison for you:

4. kend

kend Tele-Meister

Jan 12, 2014
    Vancouver
    Here's the vote results...

5. tweeddeluxe

tweeddeluxe Tele-Afflicted

Mar 16, 2003
    MD
    Hahaha i guessed wrong and as a Mustang I owner I am not embarassed or surprised.

6. foundjoe

foundjoe Tele-Holic

Apr 28, 2013
    Kansas
    These comparisons are tricky because it's harder to tell a difference in a recording than to hear the amps in person, especially with the gain turned up. Modeling amps are designed from carefully recorded tones, so it should translate well back into a recorded medium. The same thing can happen with drum machines vs drums or digital piano vs acoustic piano, etc.

7. kend

kend Tele-Meister

Jan 12, 2014
    Vancouver
    He mentions in the video the owner of the Tremolux did say that while he was playing them he couldn't tell the difference!
    Anyways, i'm not here to convince you... think as you want!

8. foundjoe

foundjoe Tele-Holic

Apr 28, 2013
    Kansas
    I didn't say anything about being convinced of anything or not; I just said these comparisons are tricky. As for the owner not hearing a difference, this is after they spent 15 or 20 minutes trying to match the tones. The recorded tones are different enough you would hope they would have noticed that difference in the room. If not, then I'm guessing the amps were fairly loud and there was a certain amount of ear fatigue. This doesn't mean the Mustang doesn't or can't sound good; just that the difference between a tube amp and a modeling amp is more obvious than a test like this would suggest.

9. Jim Dep

Jim Dep Friend of Leo's

May 23, 2010
    Northern Colorado
    The Fender Flagship Eric Clapton amp came in 2nd to the Fender Mustang III in a blindfold test? :eek:

LOL...:lol:.. I own a Mustang III so why am I not surprised?

It took Shane 15 minutes to develop a preset for his Mustang to match the $2000 (or whatever it is) Clapton amp..... one question.........what took him so long?

Last edited: Jan 14, 2014

10. Jim Dep

Jim Dep Friend of Leo's

May 23, 2010
    Northern Colorado
    IMO, this is what sets the Mustang apart from other modeling amps.

11. kend

kend Tele-Meister

Jan 12, 2014
    Vancouver
    I agree Jim.
    Shane has 3 presets at the Fender Fuse, I put them on my Mustang... there keepers. You can find them by typing "in theblues".
    I also downloaded Music Mattys and a couple other TDPRI --- by typing TDPRI in Fuse.
    All keepers.

Not sure about the OP's question about the 65 Reverb, but i'm assuming it's as close as you're going to get these days.

12. pondcaster

pondcaster Friend of Leo's

Nov 29, 2010
    Tryon, NC
    I've got a M3v1 and a blonde BJr on an A/B pedal and for fun last night, I wanted to see how long it would take to emulate the BJr with my favorite settings (Master 2.5, Vol 12).

Took all of 10 minutes, if even. I could stand way back & switch between the two and very very close tones. Not that big a deal but pretty neat in my book. The M3s are so easy to use, it's not a wonder they are so popular.

Just wondering, where's Music Matty been recently? I always enjoy his Mustang-related threads & posts. So knowledgeable.

13. Jim Dep

Jim Dep Friend of Leo's

May 23, 2010
    Northern Colorado
    kend & pondcaster 100% +1's :D

Thanks for the info on Shane's presets. I've got 'em, along with Matty's.

IMO, they're all good. I can't say which model gets the closest. I've been around Twin Reverbs the most since the early 1970's, night after night. I know the Mustang nails the Twin because I'm so used to that sound on stage.

I'm sure you've read the same posts I have going back a year or more, coming from owners of the actual amps, about how close the Mustang gets. Shane is just the latest, well known player to many of us here that did the YouTube comparisons. There's a few seasoned players out there that sold their prototype tube amps once they compared theirs to the Mustang. It's pretty amazing that the actual owners have trouble telling them apart!

Just like you, the longer I've owned the amp, the faster it is now to copy tones from other amps. Being that Shane hasn't had his amp for very long, to get those presets he did, so accurate in only 15 minutes is pretty darn good!

It'll also be good to hear from Matty again when he pops back in. I always enjoy what he brings to the table. His videos and reviews of the Mustangs is what motivated me to go get one. Before that, I was as skeptical as anybody here.

14. Frodebro

Frodebro Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Aug 17, 2012
    Seattle
    Matty hasn't posted since November, and under his username he's listed as "Former Member." :?: :cry:

15. brianswindall

brianswindall Tele-Afflicted

I thought the first one was the Tremolux. Ugh. It had a much thicker tone. Did he spend 15 minutes setting up a good tone on the Tremolux? Hard to believe, though.

16. codamedia

codamedia Friend of Leo's

Apr 4, 2009
    Western Canada
    Thread Title: "Which amp sims does Mustang III nail the closest"
    Is the Mustang trying to simulate Amp Sims or Amps? :lol:

Kidding aside, I was able to pick out the Tremolux in that video, but I preferred the sound of the Mustang... Amp sims almost always record well, sometimes better than the real thing. But that doesn't mean they "feel" or even "sound" the same when playing live at higher volumes. IMO

17. intheblues

intheblues TDPRI Member

Jan 16, 2014
    Melbourne, Australia
    Yep! That's correct. :) Off camera we did a blind test where Ric was turned around and couldn't tell which amp I plugged him into. I did the swap 4 times back and forth and said "which amp is this, mine or yours" and he convincingly said "that's mine because x, y, z reasons". When he turned around he got a shock! :)

If you have the original amp to work from you can get exceptional results from these amps. I also just purchased the bigger Mustang IV as well which will sort of replace my Fender Super-Sonic 60 until my back is feeling better. It's very light and loud.

I'll be getting together with Ric to write some more presets for the Mustang III and IV pretty soon.

Thanks so much for sharing my videos on your forum, it means a lot. :)

Cheers,

Shane (from intheblues)

18. kend

kend Tele-Meister

Jan 12, 2014
    Vancouver
    Hey Shane, thanks for doing all those review vids... I've been watching them since I found your Tech 21 Trademark 60 review a few years ago.
    Your presets are killer too, looking forward to what else you come up with!
    Take care.

19. Tle4

Tle4 Tele-Afflicted

Dec 28, 2010
    Warrington, Pa. USA
    Well.... I guess I will have to try Shane's presets tomorrow night at rehearsal and see how they sound. I liked the tones I heard from the live test video

I think the Mustang sounds great and all but I still dont think it feels like playing any of my tube amps. I got the Mustang III originally as a cheap amp to leave at my rehearsal space. I think it may be a good amp to take and gig with when I dont feel like lugging my heavy tube amps

20. VWAmTele

VWAmTele Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Feb 24, 2005
    FL
    I think Fender hit a homerun with the Mustang. The v.2 version of the '65 Princeton is my favorite. As for those videos, the tones seemed very different to me and it was obvious (to me) that A was the Mustang - the giveaway is when they hold the last note - it's as if it crumbles at the very end. Very distinguishable from the tube amp.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.