Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Which 12" Modeling Amp (SS) has Best Clean Channel

Discussion in 'Modeling Amps, Plugins and Apps' started by Ryan Aditantra, May 30, 2017.

1. Musekatcher

Musekatcher Tele-Holic

Jan 15, 2013
    Heart O' Dixie
    Me too - how about versus a Mustang? You'd think the Mustang would have the best Fender clean, but I've not been able to play one next to a Cube.

PS - Katana 50 out of this group, for combination of clean, power, weight and cost.

GrantR and Ryan Aditantra like this.

2. Veltek

Veltek Tele-Meister

Sep 17, 2016
    Blues country
    Theres a shop like that where I live..

They buy everything at retail and put on an additional 33%. so A Les Paul Ultra III which is normally like 600-750... was $999 "On sale" And when you picked up a guitar to play it, they watched you like a hawk. Signs posted every 3 feet "You break it you bought it"

No thanks!

Ryan Aditantra likes this.

3. Theorage

Theorage TDPRI Member

Dec 19, 2009
    Pacific NW
    Perhaps the retail practices in the OP's city of Jakarta are different. Relationships with manufactures, availability of merch., merch. is "used" if someone plays through it...!

4. Ironwolf

Ironwolf Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

Mar 11, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    Vox VT100X. It has a 12 inch speaker. The clean settings (especially the clean Dumble setting) are to die for.

5. Junkyard Dog

Junkyard Dog Tele-Meister

Mar 7, 2016
    USA
    Here's Dale Watson playing through a 12" Fender Mustang (looks like the Mustang II, but not sure) at a show in Texas. I guess nobody told him you're not supposed to gig with these amps. First lead guitar break comes at the 1:21 mark. See what you think.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2017

6. Ryan Aditantra

Ryan Aditantra TDPRI Member

May 15, 2017
    Jakarta
    Take out the CODE. Now I am considering Mustang 3.

GrantR and blowtorch like this.

7. Ryan Aditantra

May 15, 2017
    Jakarta
    Not yet available in Indonesia bro.

8. Ryan Aditantra

May 15, 2017
    Jakarta
    I can imagine how Head sounds like.

9. Ryan Aditantra

May 15, 2017
    Jakarta
    Very hard to find one in Indonesia. Eventho the used one. Things become rare, owners will keep it.

10. Ryan Aditantra

May 15, 2017
    Jakarta
    Ny mindset is that cube best for effect playing. Not really for clean guy like me. How do you think?

11. Ryan Aditantra

May 15, 2017
    Jakarta
    I am seeing this as plug and play amp. I am such a oldskool guy and see guitar must be clean/crunch and us pedals. Not so digital/distortion. Do you think that this amp will suit me?

12. hotraman

hotraman Tele-Holic

Mar 17, 2007
    Camas, WA
    Off topic, nice pedal steel playing. What amp is he using?

J Hog likes this.

13. GrantR

GrantR Tele-Meister

May 29, 2011
    New Zealand
    Hi Ryan, I'm like several of the other guys here that would strongly advise you to look at a Fender Mustang III v2. There are fantastic cleans available, and loads more as well. I've owned a few Boss Cube's - mainly the 40XL and 80XL. They were both great little amps, but they do sound different to the Mustang III. You wont end up with an amp that sounds the same as your Cube, if you buy a Mustang III.
    The new Katana's sound good from the video reviews I've watched. I haven't had the chance to actually play one yet, but I'm keen to. I think they are a good option to.
    Good luck with you choice.
    Grant.

14. Ryan Aditantra

May 15, 2017
    Jakarta
    Nice. Mustang III is in my list now.

15. Jim Dep

Jim Dep Friend of Leo's

May 23, 2010
    Northern Colorado
    I've seen quite a few vids of old school country players using Mustangs on stage, usually playing a Fender strat or tele. The clean tones are hard to beat and stay punchy in the lower registers without the additional mud. Go to about 7:48 of this video and you'll hear Dale pick a little harder and get some additional hair for a second or too. A properly set up Mustang will do that, so you'll have an amp that will respond to your technique as you'd expect from a high dollar amp. I'm curious as to whether Dale is using a factory preset or one that he tweaked himself. A nice thing too, is that if you want to put more meat on it for a different sound, it's all there in droves.

16. Jim Dep

Jim Dep Friend of Leo's

May 23, 2010
    Northern Colorado
    This fella here had some interesting comments. Note how hard he picks the strings toward the end. He gets that classic sounding spank on the notes he wants to accent.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2017
    GrantR likes this.

17. J Hog

J Hog Tele-Holic

Oct 18, 2009
    Norwood Ohio
    I didn't watch the clip but I know that Don Pawik (sp) usually uses a Twin Custom 15.

18. hotraman

hotraman Tele-Holic

Mar 17, 2007
    Camas, WA
    Thanks for the reply

J Hog likes this.

19. JasonKingsX

JasonKingsX Tele-Meister

May 15, 2017
    Austin
    My X2 head really nails the cleans IMO. Great flavors to choose from.

20. musicalmartin

musicalmartin Poster Extraordinaire

Aug 8, 2007
    Norfolk UK
    Champion 40 will give you very fine cleans which is why i bought it ,I play jazz,blues and country some live nad it does the job with no fancy knob turning .In fact I mainly just us the basic channel 1 blackface model which is superb for just about anything sensible .

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.