Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Whew.. I finished gutting my Mustang GT 40

Discussion in 'Modeling Amps, Plugins and Apps' started by burntfrijoles, May 10, 2017.

1. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Friend of Leo's

Feb 12, 2010
    Jacksonville
    Now I can get to work.

I completed auditioning all of the presets and patches that come stock with the Mustang GTs. I have deleted the offending tones. (Who comes up with those? Sheesh!)
    I created my first two basic settings using a Bandmaster amp model with 4x12 cabinet and the 63 Reverb. (I added an overdrive pedal as well.) I'm very pleased with these settings. They work great with my Strat or my Tele.
    I've also downloaded a couple of patches from the Tone app. I found an excellent Dire Straits patch for Sultans and I really some of the patches from Shane of "In The Blues" youtube fame. It appears that all of the old Fuse presets are included in the Fender Tone Library for the GT.
    One great thing about the App navigation is the search feature. If you don't want to scroll thru the Amp itself or the even the presets in the App to find what you want you can just search for it quickly.
    IMO, this amp is a great value. I have absolutely no regrets in getting this little jewel.
    As fender4life said in one of his posts, the folks who have played with it for a 15 or 20 minutes in a shop and found it wanting, have missed the point. This is not like a tube amp that you turn on and get instant feedback of its nature. The "nature" of the Mustang is to find an amp model, a speaker cab and then tailor the settings to a tone you want to achieve. Those tones are in there.

Jim Dep likes this.

2. Ira7

Ira7 Poster Extraordinaire

Jan 8, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    From what I've learned on my X2 is to turn all cab emulation OFF, and work on your other settings from there.

Give it a try on one of your voices/presets.

In other words, those stock cab emulations stink TOO, and you don't need them to adjust that voice's parameters to get where you want to go.

3. bparnell57

bparnell57 Poster Extraordinaire

Feb 10, 2014
    Philadelphia, PA
    I expected pictures of the electronics torn out and a tube amp in the chassis. That's what I envisioned from the gutting title. Hahaha.

Staypuft1652, baldwindp and jonrpick like this.

4. screamin eagle

screamin eagle Friend of Leo's

Oct 9, 2008
    S. CA
    Thought the same thing.

Staypuft1652 and bparnell57 like this.

5. pondcaster

pondcaster Friend of Leo's

Nov 29, 2010
    Tryon, NC
    Me, too. I couldn't click fast enough!

A little jewel it is, that GT40.

I'll be "gutting" mine tonight...

bparnell57 likes this.

6. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Friend of Leo's

Feb 12, 2010
    Jacksonville
    You guys! I am not a gear tinkerer! I've already read other posts talking about changing the speaker in these amps and I think that's absurd. I just gutted the presets. They were just in the way. The vast majority sucked goat ___.

I simply believe that the best thing to do is to "rebuild" the presets from scratch. Try an amp model. Fiddle with the EQ, cab, sag, bias setting. Add an stomp or effect etc to achieve a desired sound. If you can't nail he tone you're looking for then move on. Try another model. I think it just takes patience.

I will eliminate a few more presets shortly.

7. sulaco

sulaco Tele-Meister

Aug 24, 2012
    Nashville, TN
    totally off topic, but you have my 1959 Zenith G730 as your profile picture? Kudos, sir.

8. bparnell57

Feb 10, 2014
    Philadelphia, PA
    Yep! My first piece of tube tech I ever owned. Still have it. Needs a rebuild but the cabinet is in poor enough shape that it would be easier to just find a nicer example.

The pic is from my 1959 salesman catalog. Go zenith!!!

9. sulaco

sulaco Tele-Meister

Aug 24, 2012
    Nashville, TN
    nice! yeah really clean ones can be had for $50 all day long.

my main entertainer is a 1964 Zenith ML2670. It's a gigantic AM/FM/Phono player. I also have a 1965 but the amp needs rebuilt and it's nigh impossible to find someone who can do such a simple job.

10. bparnell57

Feb 10, 2014
    Philadelphia, PA
    My main radio is a 1958 Grundig Majestic 5088 tabletop. Weighs probably 60 pounds and is over 2 feet wide. Amazing radio. Cost a third as much as a corvette when new, and I paid $45 for it at a flea market.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.