Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Whew! barely escaped GAS this time: Squier 51

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by Jupiter, Sep 14, 2017.

1. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Silver Supporter

Jun 22, 2010
    Osaka, Japan
    Strolled into my local 2nd-hand shop today. They have a surprisingly good selection of used guitars.

Picked up a CAR Squier 51--and almost walked out with it. :eek:

I don't need one, haven't been planning to get one, and I have several other items on my to-buy list for the next year or so. But suddenly I was looking real hard at the price tag and thinking that I had the money in my wallet.

GAS ain't nothing to monkey around with, folks! I won't be going in there for a while... :lol:

2. jannodude

jannodude Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

Aug 10, 2016
    SF Bay Area/California
    A Squier '51 was my first guitar!

3. Jupiter

Jun 22, 2010
    Osaka, Japan
    I think they're cool, and I am generally in favor of the pawn shop/mutant thing. If I was actually looking for a keep-at-work jam-session guitar, I'd have got it. But I'm all set for that kinda thing, and if I'd bought it, I'd be standing here now holding it and wondering was I was gonna do with it. :oops:

4. StrangerNY

StrangerNY Tele-Afflicted

I've never seen one in Candy Apple Red! Must have looked killer.

I sold off my first-year black one last year. Every so often I wonder about the wisdom of doing that...

- D

5. Bob M

Bob M Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

May 11, 2011
    North of Boston
    I had 2-when they closed them out MF had them for $50! I think that's what they were worth. Real poor frets with sharp edges, plastic nut that was poorly cut, etc. It was a good idea, just not executed that well.

6. StrangerNY

StrangerNY Tele-Afflicted

Yeah, I bought mine for $99 and I had to try every one in the store (7 of 'em) before I found one with a decent fret job. And the first thing I did when I got it home was slap a bone nut on it.

It was a fun guitar to play, though. I sold it to a neighborhood kid who plays the hell out of it.

- D

7. Jupiter

Jun 22, 2010
    Osaka, Japan
    That stuff wouldn't bother me, because I'd most likely do a L/C and change the nut just for fun...

8. Jupiter

Jun 22, 2010
    Osaka, Japan
    Dang it, now I'm thinking about all the potential mods...

THIS IS NOT HELPING! :lol:

9. Praxis

Praxis Tele-Meister

Dec 11, 2007
    Out There
    The necks on those are great -- probably worth more than what they were asking for the whole guitar. Just sayin'...

10. brogh

brogh Super Moderator Staff Member

Jun 26, 2010
    italy
    i'm curious to see the NGD right ahead ... ;)

11. Jupiter

Jun 22, 2010
    Osaka, Japan
    Hah! I'd actually forgotten about it unitl now...

12. brogh

brogh Super Moderator Staff Member

Jun 26, 2010
    italy
    the universe works in mysterious wayyyssssssss ;)

13. littlebadboy

littlebadboy Tele-Holic

Jun 25, 2016
    Midwest, USA
    What is wrong with you?!! Go back and get it! You were going to!

14. Jupiter

Jun 22, 2010
    Osaka, Japan
    I was NOT going to! I'm trying NOT to! :mad:

:lol:

Honestly, that would really jack up pre-existing gear purchase plans. I'm saving for a Godin multiac nylon string. So I'm staying outta that shop for a while. If it's still there in March, maybe I'll conclude that it's fate. :cool:

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.