Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

Where will the Electric guitar be in 50 years from now ?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Mellencaster, Aug 24, 2013.

1. Mellencaster

Mellencaster Friend of Leo's

What does the future have in hold for the electric guitar .Will it still be a main stream instrument ? Will the big companies be still around or will they still make them out wood ? Just curious how far in future the electric guitar can thrive as we know it .

2. Dave1

Dave1 TDPRI Member

When you look back on the last 50 years and see so little desire for innovation, I don't see why anything much will change. Teles, Les Pauls, and Strats, inspired from the 1050s.

3. bluesfordan

bluesfordan Friend of Leo's

doubt I'll be around to give much of a hoot, I'm afraid.

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. niilolainen

niilolainen Tele-Meister

At least one of mine will be cremated with me and then scattered on the Irish Sea

6. dented

dented Poster Extraordinaire

Hopefully with me playing it!

7. Mellencaster

Who knows what 50 years will bring , just like Leo Fender did 65 years ago , someone could totally innovate the electric guitar again.In my opinion I don't see Gibson being a major player in the future , also in my opinion I can see Fender could be the major company in the future.

8. BBill64

BBill64 Tele-Afflicted

They'll nail guitar-to-MIDI, and your regular old 6 metal strings on a piece of wood will be as sonically powerful as a £2000 digital synthesizer is today and it will probably cost £500.

They will also be able to sound just as good as they did 50 years ago.

9. shovelrider

shovelrider Tele-Afflicted

Care to explain?

10. Nick JD

Nick JD Doctor of Teleocity

The electric guitar, like the violin did its evolving a long time ago.

They won't change by and large, because they are made for music that hasn't/isn't changing.

You pick up a violin and play "old" music. You pick up a guitar and play "old" music. Sure, you might create something new on it ... but it'll be an "old" genre you are creating within.

The new musical instrument of the 21st century is the computer.

I agree with Bill's post above. I have a Roland GR55 and a GK3 pickup. The guitar it's attached to is almost inconsequential. It is simply the most fantastic piece of guitar kit I have ever used. Mind blowingly fantastic.

11. Mellencaster

I have nothing against Gibson and I would love to own LP but I don't see Gibson reading the market and not following trend for the value for what you get , they will stand on their quality and Gibson name which will be their slow decline because as other guitars are built cheaper but will still hold their quality . I don't see Gibson doing that now but again it's my opinion and I just am speculating what the future may bring . :)

12. Brad Pittiful

Brad Pittiful Doctor of Teleocity

under the bed

in a closet

hanging on a wall

13. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Doctor of Teleocity

Hopefully hung around the necks of astounding, creative, entertaining
    players.
    I think/hope it will have a long run.
    Violins, pianos, brass and woodwinds had their day(s).
    The electric guitar is still a baby, but it has proven to be a very malleable
    instrument.
    I doubt there will ever be the mania it created from the 1950s through the
    1980s again, though.

14. GoodCleanFun

GoodCleanFun Tele-Meister

A similar progression to what we're currently seeing: more frets, more strings, more pickups/electrical options, better quality and cheaper cost. The choice now is staggering, even compared to what it was 10 or 15 years ago. Options abound at every price point.

One thing I'm certain we'll see (and something I'm happy about) is the usage of materials currently uncommon to guitar building, or 'esoteric' materials as they're called nowadays. Richlite, paperstone, compressed wood fibers, recycled woods and/or viable domestic alternatives (of which there are many) coupled with a huge increase in the power and reduction of cost in 3d printing I think we'll see a lot more interesting things to come in the next half-century.

Personally I'd like to see a single block of recycled material 3d printed into a one-piece guitar. The only human involvement would be the fretting and the electronics. I don't think this is too far off, ODD guitars in NZ makes a printed body but they're ugly and prohibitively expensive, this is just the next step. The material is there, the technology is catching up: marry these two things and there you have it.

Gibson and Fender will still exist but I hope Gibson especially embrace more environmentally conscientious materials for production- the only domestic thing they use is maple, everything else is imported.

I also expect to see USB connections so people can plug-and-play straight into mixing desks or recording units, along with built-in effects with downloadable patches for future upgrades.

It's an exciting frontier.

15. telleutelleme

telleutelleme Doctor of Teleocity

Over produced and overpriced on E-Bay China.

16. BenM

BenM Tele-Meister

Almost where it was 50 years ago:

“Why did they keep changing guitars and amplifiers when they were perfect? They did the same things with cars, if you ask me. They forgot how to make them right, because they focused on style and bells and whistles.” —Buddy Guy

17. Lunchie

Lunchie Poster Extraordinaire

Hammer will become the #1 selling guitar when guitarists mutate into Octohumans and grow 8 arms to avoid having to deal with other musicians.

Attached Files:

18. Jupiter

Jupiter Doctor of Teleocity

19. Mellencaster

20. Papa Joe

Papa Joe Friend of Leo's

50 years from now mine will be the same as me, dust..
    I see guitars becoming all electronic with no strings..Probably like those silly toy things that are all the rave with the wannabees today..
    I already have the Roland gear that gives me weird sounds that are totaly unrelated to guitar..

21. w3stie

w3stie Poster Extraordinaire

You can't improve on perfection! The tele and strat will be as popular as ever, and the precision bass will continue to be the standard for bass guitars.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.