Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Where to find spoke wheel truss rods for bass at a reasonable price?

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by zorgzorg2, Nov 1, 2017.

1. zorgzorg2

zorgzorg2 Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Feb 27, 2008
    Norrköping, Sweden
    Hi all,

I'm planning my next project which be basically a precision bass. Now I like the truss rods with a spoke wheel nut, and have been using them successfully in my two guitar builds, but I can't seem to find them for bass neck lengths. I know stewmac sells them, but I find 30$ too expensive, when I can get a working double action rod for 10$ from eBay. Also, adding 20$ shipping from the US feels like robbery (what's with postal services in the US??).

So I am turning to the tdpri hive-mind :) do you guys know where to get those? Alternatively where to find the spoke wheel nut alone that I could attach to a generic truss rod then?

Thanks!
    Martin

2. RickyRicardo

RickyRicardo Friend of Leo's

Mar 27, 2012
    Calgary, Alberta
    The longest I can see is 480mm and you should have something longer than that. I used 24"/600mm truss rods in the ones I've built but they had the regular nut. And they were inexpensive. You could contact Black Dog and Guitars and Woods as they sell spoke wheel rods. Maybe they can find you one and they are in Europe.

3. maxvintage

maxvintage Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Mar 16, 2003
    Arlington, VA
    Good question. I like the spoke wheel truss rod and found some long enough for bass on ebay. But I didn't like them--they seemed poorly made and had a lot of extra width toward the spoke wheel end, messy and not uniform. Stew Macs guitar truss wheel rods seem to be better made.

4. Bugeater281

Bugeater281 Tele-Meister

Nov 30, 2016
    Omaha
    Use carbon fiber rods, make sure the neck is straight while building. It shouldn't move with multiple carbon rods.

5. zorgzorg2

Feb 27, 2008
    Norrköping, Sweden
    Thanks for the tips guys! As I mentioned, I can't find any on eBay, so I'll contact g&w again, I had good experience with them. @Bugeater281 if I understand you correctly, the carbon rods can't be adjusted, right? So no way to tweak the neck relief?

6. Bugeater281

Bugeater281 Tele-Meister

Nov 30, 2016
    Omaha
    No, if you read up on graphite inserts you have to be careful with truss rods. The truss rod can blow out the fretboard because they don't move much. Modulus use to use graphite plates on their basses and they were used by a lot of musicians. They were great road guitars because they would not move even when traveling to places with opposite climatesX

zorgzorg2 likes this.

7. Honza992

Honza992 TDPRI Member Silver Supporter

Aug 6, 2015
    Nottingham, UK
    I'm using a wheel truss rod bought from Black Dog in the UK on my current (guitar) build and I have to say I won't be using one again. It's slightly twisted and routing the channel was annoying - multiple different depths. Also it's wrapped in blue plastic which means it's not the 6.25 mm width it should be, even 6.35mm was too tight. In the end I just took the plastic off. Not good enough. Next time I'll use a Hot Rod from Stewmac and turn it upside down like Fletcher does. I'm not sure if they do bass sized ones, but if they do I'd look elsewhere first.

zorgzorg2 likes this.

8. zorgzorg2

Feb 27, 2008
    Norrköping, Sweden

9. RickyRicardo

Mar 27, 2012
    Calgary, Alberta
    Cool. Make sure you post your build!

zorgzorg2 likes this.

10. zorgzorg2

Feb 27, 2008
    Norrköping, Sweden
    If you insist :) but I have to issue a warning here: I'm still a newbie, the bass will only be my 3rd build!

11. RickyRicardo

Mar 27, 2012
    Calgary, Alberta
    Lots of newbie builds posted here. Go for it!

zorgzorg2 likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.