Where to buy used?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by dvto2, May 11, 2019.

1. Red Bread

Red Bread Tele-Meister

If they charged shipping on an item thats from one of there other stores id tell them go stuff you can keep it ill goto Sam Ash
    Theyll ship it at no cost

2. Texsunburst59

Texsunburst59 Tele-Afflicted

PAWNSHOPS !!!!!!!!!

I'm assuming you have A LOT of pawnshops all around the area you live.

I'd hit as many shops as you can.

I'd bet that there's a killer deal to be had on a Tele if you put in the time to search.

Have cash and smart phone handy.

These are some of the deals I've found on guitars, basses and amps in he last 3 yrs.

$100 - '09 USA Fender Highway 1 Honey Blonde Tele
    $190 - '92 USA Hamer Chaparral P-Bass
    $212 - '85 USA Kramer Baretta
    $1000 - '95 PRS Custom 24 10-Top
    $1340 - '15 Suhr Classic Pro SSH
    $400 - '78 USA Fender P-Bass
    $1200 - '03 Tom Anderson Hollow T Drop Top SSH
    $204 - '94 USA Fender Jazz V Plus 5-String Bass
    $425 - '01 Gibson LP Jr.
    $400 - '05 Mesa Boogie Roadster Dual Rectifier 2x12 Combo
    $762 - '08 Gibson LP Standard Plus
    $554 - '07 Gibson SG-3 LE #006
    $320 - '07 Vox AC30CC2 Combo
    $300 - '03 Epiphone Elite LP Custom
    $325 - '90 Fender Strat Plus

Jerry_Mountains likes this.
  3. Dukex

Dukex Tele-Holic

That's interesting, it's been a few years, but I have purchased two used guitars that way. It was even a GC employee (from the GC across the country that had the guitar I purchased) that recommended this method to me. I'll make sure the local policy is still in place If I purchase another used item from them.

4. Endless Mike

Endless Mike Friend of Leo's

I sure would. Wouldn't surprise me at all if it has changed since then. They've had enough financial woes that I imagine they're stopping money leaks where ever they can

Dukex likes this.
  5. dvto2

dvto2 TDPRI Member

Screenshot_20190513-193333_Chrome.jpg I did check a couple of pawn shops and will keep doing it - it's a treasure hunt. I saw a lot more strats than teles.

I will report back that I found a 2015 American Standard for $800 on Reverb with no dings and bought it. It should arrive tomorrow. Once I figured out what I wanted, Reverb was the easiest place to look and I think I got a very reasonable deal. I am not anticipating any problems, but I hope if there is one, their conflict resolution process will be useful.

6. littlebadboy

littlebadboy Tele-Afflicted

Sometimes works, sometimes not. Their used section sells good and quick, so they wouldn't mind if you turn around.

7. Marc Morfei

Marc Morfei Tele-Holic

Those are the places. You shouldn't have to wait too long. I have had perfectly good luck with every single one of them. GC has a good return policy, so that is bonus. CL has the advantage of being local, so there's no shipping cost. Reverb will have the best inventory, so you will have lots to pick from. Prices tend to run high, but everything is negotiable, so you can usually buy for less than the listed price. Downside is you can't try the item out in person, and you are almost always paying extra for shipping. Patience will be rewarded, remember that.

8. Moniyaw

Moniyaw TDPRI Member

Somehow I was never able to find a good deal on used fender guitars around my area.
    I hear stories of people buying Mexican fenders for $250/300 but I never encountered one.
    The lowest price I've seen for a used MiM was $500 at a local pawn shop and the guitar was barely in decent condition.
    Even used Classic Vibe's are rarely less than $400 for used ones.
    On the internet the situation is even worse...

9. MilwMark

MilwMark Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Stores can't win. You think they should eat the $40 shipping on a $400 used amp they shipped across the country and you decided you didn't want after all? Wild.

Also, as others note, they are very accommodating. Broken tube? No questions asked. They refund the shipping. Missing the stupid bog standard detachable computer power cord you could replace for $5? No problem, no questions asked, they refund shipping. Their policy seems very reasonable to me.

DHart and Marc Morfei like this.
  10. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Friend of Leo's

Pawn shops are more miss than hit in my recent experience. Where else can you find a used and stickered Squier Affinity for the low low price of $299?

Many of them seem to take the highest online used price and pad it by 10% or more.

11. Moniyaw

Moniyaw TDPRI Member

The best deal for me was when I got my affinity with hand wound pickups, in Italy, €200.
    I then refinished it and did a set up myself.
    On eBay they are sold for $400 brand new... what's happening :eek:

12. GGardner

GGardner Tele-Holic

I'm also a fan of buying used from GC. Check nationwide inventory and have it shipped to your local store. But it's a personal preference--I don't like to haggle and want to be able to return something w/ no questions asked. Others may enjoy the hunt. I'm just not that guy.

13. Red Bread

Red Bread Tele-Meister

And off to Sam Ask or whoever ya go

Its nice having options
    When i started there wasnt any options,,but we didnt worry bout shipping things either

14. bravescoob

bravescoob TDPRI Member

+1 for local music shops- mine in CO (Spotlight Music) frequently sells Fender items at 2/3 sale price. GC/Musicians Friend also are good cause of return policy. Don't count Craig's out! Also, try to keep an open mind beyond standard/Am Teles; most Teles are good Teles as long as the neck is true.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.