Where to buy used?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by dvto2, May 11, 2019.

1. dvto2

dvto2 TDPRI Member

I'm looking for a used tele, probably a Standard or American Standard, and i'm flexible on color. I keep looking on Craigslist, ebay, Guitar Center, and Reverb. Am I missing any other places to look?

I live in northern Connecticut.

2. JustStartingOut

JustStartingOut Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

Down in the park with a friend called Five
    When you are looking at Guitar Center (and Musician's Friend) are you looking at all the stores (on the sites) or just locally? They will ship store to store if you find something you like.

3. Red Bread

Red Bread Tele-Meister

Man theres alot of nice teleys down your way on the craigslist
    You got a certain budget
    Really quick search these pop up
    All round $1000
    Search Hudson valley list

Im way north of that city(hate it)but theres always good deals on gear in NY,,,your not far away

Attached Files:

4. OzShadow

OzShadow Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Local independent music stores. They often take in trades.

Facebook Marketplace is another local option where one person is selling. You can set the mile range.

eBay never worked for me. Too much last minute sniping and shill bidding.

5. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Friend of Leo's

I used to buy used gear from Musicians friend until they took the free international shipping away our exchange rate took a dump. Since then ebay has provided whatever I've wanted and I have had no problems buying gear on there other than a few cheap items purchase from China. Refunds were given. I find it's best to know what you want and check for new listings daily if not several times a day.

6. Hatfield92

Hatfield92 Tele-Meister

I’ve had success buying, selling and trading via Craigslist in the last three regions I’ve lived in. It often just requires a little patience and perseverance. A little luck doesn’t hurt either.

7. T Prior

T Prior Poster Extraordinaire

While Craigslit is a good choice, remember, at GC, search the whole nation and have it sent to a local store or your home. doesn't matter. They have a 100% 45 day return. They may be strict on pricing but it may be worth it for the return policy, no questions asked. I'm typically not a fan of GC overall due to staff , but for gear, new or used , it may be a no brainer.

bravescoob and 2 Headed Goat like this.
  8. dvto2

dvto2 TDPRI Member

I have purchased one open box acoustic guitar from musicians friend, with good success, a nice Gibson Les Paul Studio Pro from ebay, and a beautiful Deluxe Roadhouse Strat on Craigslist, all at very good prices. However, there was plenty of inventory on these guitars. I'm having a lot more trouble seeing many Tele's.

9. Endless Mike

Endless Mike Friend of Leo's

The only problem with buying from GC online is this - if you don't like it and return it, you lose the shipping costs. Every time you return an item, you lose it a bit more. So each time, the amount of credit you receive back is a little bit less than before. I have bought numerous used amps from them, and this *is* their policy.

Just an FYI.

2 Headed Goat likes this.
  10. joe_cpwe

joe_cpwe Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Musicgoround.com

11. littlebadboy

littlebadboy Tele-Afflicted

I like buying at Guitar Center because of their no questions asked return policy. If the guitar is at another branch, you can have it shipped at your expense. Shipping is not refundable, but think of it as if you paid a little to rent the guitar, and for 45 days, it's not so bad of a rent cost.

However, I also buy through eBay and Reverb with no problems encountered yet.

Marc Morfei and 2 Headed Goat like this.
  12. T Prior

T Prior Poster Extraordinaire

at GC if there is any defect what-so-ever, and if something was not represented properly , shipping is also refunded.

Ask a million questions before you buy, have a person hold it, look at it and answer questions while U R on the phone. Don't assume or take it for granted.

Dings, nicks, frets, scratches, bruises, everything and anything. Especially dings, nicks on the back of the neck. Ask away.

littlebadboy and 2 Headed Goat like this.
  13. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

Make sure your search terms are searching for the right stuff -- I couldn't find any telecasters until I realized that --

If you use 'guitar' you may show zero telecasters when there are a dozen in there listed just as 'telecaster'.

You must search for 'Telecaster' to find them

Probably because Telecaster is a way of life unlike just any old regular guitar.

If you want to be clever on Craigslist ... search with a term like this "( telecaster | Telecaster | tele | Tele | cabronita )" don't use the quotes, spaces are important between parenthesis and words and the pipes between those words, capitals are usually unimportant but you can check for both just as easy. The cabronita is in there for fun, you can continue the line for a lot of different guitars. I have Jazzmaster on my typical search because those owners never list 'jazzmaster guitar' it's just a 'jazzmaster' -- on the other hand, guitar is always a tied to other brands like finding 'les paul guitar' never 'selling my les paul' -- they gotta tell you it's a guitar, lol. If you are getting a lot of unrelated items like when I was searching for a blacksmith anvil I had to use a "-case" outside the parenthesis to drop anything like an 'anvil case' or those lawn service trailers that cluttered the output.

JustABluesGuy likes this.
  14. archetype

archetype Fiend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Don't forget misspellings. ( Squier | squier | Squire | squire )

JustABluesGuy likes this.
  15. ReverendRevolver

ReverendRevolver Tele-Meister

When I was amp shopping, I weekly or more often checked CL, ebay, musicgoround, GC, Reverb, and the stupid selling apps on my phone. All online. As opportunity allowed, I'd hit local guitar stores in my town (Guitar Guys in Heath only sells new stuff on thier Reverb store, couldn't cheat), Samash and GC near my work, and pawn shops.

That last one has gotten spotty with the proliferation of internet access to everywhere, but you still can scoop prohibitively large cabs and combos for good prices there.

Shopping around is still the way to get deals.

16. cleanheadsteve

cleanheadsteve Tele-Meister

pawn shops pawn shops

Sent from my Coolpad 3632A using Tapatalk

17. littlebadboy

littlebadboy Tele-Afflicted

Yes that one too!

Also, you can have their "guitar tech" change strings and do some adjustments while you wait for free.

18. Dukex

Dukex Tele-Holic

That's one reason I always have used gear shipped to the store, and if I don't like it I return the item to the store (no shipping charges if returned or rejected, period). Also you can examine the product in the store to make sure it arrives as advertised. Of course this doesn't work for folks who don't live anywhere near a store.

19. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

check out every pawn shop you can , if you travel to a new town check there as well

20. Endless Mike

Endless Mike Friend of Leo's

That's not what happens with me. I always have it shipped to the store, and I'm charged shipping every time. I don't know about pedals and other small items, but on amps and guitars, every time without fail. They use UPS to ship, and UPS isn't shipping for GC out of the goodness of their hearts. I was somewhat disappointed to learn of this when I began buying used amps from them.

Marc Morfei likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.