Where Have All the Stick Shifts Gone?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by El Tele Lobo, Apr 8, 2019.

1. Unstuckpilgrim

Unstuckpilgrim NEW MEMBER!

Volkswagen makes a few manuals still. Like the GTI

maggieo likes this.
  2. USian Pie

USian Pie Tele-Meister

I just bought a Miata Sport. Really basic - no cruise control, no remote locks, no steering wheel buttons.

5-speed manual.

No texting when driving unless you want to stall out, burn up your clutch, or blow up your engine.

100% driving. You get maybe a second to turn the music up or down before it's back to the road.

I. Freakin'. LOVE IT.

dkmw and maggieo like this.
  3. D_W_PGH

D_W_PGH Friend of Leo's

You wanna join my movement to basically make shifter karts street legal? I hate it that I could get a motorcycle (which I have no interest in), but I can't drive a 500 pound four wheeled cart that would use hardly any fuel and be super fast because "it's unsafe".

One of the reasons I take P-T now is that in order for me to drive to work, it's me and 3000 pounds. It can't be me and 300 pounds, it has to be 3000. Or often as I see waiting for the bus, a driver and 5500 pounds.

Seems like such a waste.

dkmw likes this.
  4. getbent

getbent Telefied Ad Free Member

El Tele Lobo likes this.
  5. lammie200

lammie200 Tele-Afflicted

Nice. Have you done any suspension mods? I have DNA front and side braces, and a Neu-f bar on the rear. I also have the MPx master cylinder brake brace which really firms up the braking feel. Phase 1 ecu tune as well.

maggieo likes this.
  6. imwjl

imwjl Poster Extraordinaire

Deregulation is a different animal than I brought up. Motor Carrier Act of 1980 (MCA) was maybe what you are thinking of. I just brought up the coincidence of the Wed. article pointing out 1985 as peak middle class.

Cars, tucks, APUs, AEB (and other semi-autonomous driving) plus the automatic transmissions are just progress. I love our Model A. I support a museum of old machines, but most new stuff that gets established in our lives is a form of better.

7. maggieo

maggieo Tele-Holic

I haven't...yet! I had the 500 Madness ECU box for a while, but it did jack for Enzo's performance. I tossed it.

What did you use for your tune?

lammie200 likes this.
  8. lammie200

lammie200 Tele-Afflicted

The Eurocompulsion E+D. I started with a Chipbox which is probably the best piggyback out there. I have heard that the Madness and other piggybacks detune after a while. The Chipbox doesn’t do that. I should probably sell it now that I dropped a tune on it.

maggieo likes this.
  9. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied Ad Free Member

Don't tell nobody, but there's a lot of rural places where people drive their little 4 wheelers on just about any track or road they feel like driving on. They put an orange triangle on the back and don't drive when visibility is bad but otherwise, for some of them that's almost all they drive.

10. David Barnett

David Barnett Doctor of Teleocity

There's someone who drives a golf cart around the back streets of my neighborhood. Looks like they let their underage kids drive it too. This neighborhood does not abut a golf course. And it's inner city, not suburban. I keep hoping they'll get ticketed.

11. omahaaudio

omahaaudio Friend of Leo's

Only in the UK and Ireland.

12. imwjl

I saw pics of next generation Golf and confess I'm interested in a stupid kind of way. The next generation Outback info gets released soon. I'd like to keep our car replacement cycle long.

The list is much bigger.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_with_left-hand_traffic

13. David Barnett

David Barnett Doctor of Teleocity

But he was speaking specifically of Europe.

boris bubbanov likes this.
  14. Greggorios

Greggorios Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

+1 X 100. So tired of SUV/4WD drivers who think they're "bullet proof". I give 'em a wide birth and move on. (I won't side track the thread with a "it's too easy to get a drivers license" rant.:D)

dkmw likes this.
  15. imwjl

That's kind of silly if you consider numbers and history.

History first. I remember when the complaints were about people driving Cadillacs, Lincolns and and station wagons. Then pickup trucks were added almost concurrent with minivans. Well, except for pickup trucks those are not much of the fleet these days.

The numbers. 4x4 pickups are large market share. Last year I thought I read SUVs were topping 40% of car sales. This year's had news from automakers cutting sedan production because SUV sales continue to rise.

To me it is silly to be angry about what most people have and do. Your idea on getting a driver's license? Go try and make that more difficult. You'll be fighting quite a few powerful interests. If you want safety and sanity on the roads you have to hurry the pace of semi-autonomous features in our fleet. As said earlier the self-imposed AEB standard is coming. A few brands already have this safety stuff standard in common folks' cars.

16. dkmw

dkmw Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I've been old Boxster shopping like mad, and it's amazing the number of automatics even in those cars. Especially 2009 forward.

Personally, I'm not even considering a two-pedal Boxster. I wanna shift while I still can:)

17. boris bubbanov

My brother has a 997 (an update - 2009) and he got the automatic.

I have driven that car exactly one time. I don't see the point, especially in Pasadena where it takes forever to get out of town to where you can really hang it out there.

18. USian Pie

USian Pie Tele-Meister

I look at the features they are adding to modern cars. It all seems to be about more ways to be on the internet or phone while driving.

I’m having a personal backlash against this. For the first time in my life, I look forward to the drive home because the car and road require 100% of my attention. It’s not a mobile office with a steering wheel.

I understand the addiction to connection will keep us moving towards autonomous cars and public transportation. I’m ok with that because the “in between” state we’re in now is dangerous as hell. The 2+ ton web browser at 70 mph is getting people killed.

Just leave something for those of us who want to unplug and drive. Please.

boris bubbanov and El Tele Lobo like this.
  19. El Tele Lobo

El Tele Lobo Friend of Leo's

Like the ability to scramble all phone calls, texts and wi-fi within a square mile of our car...

20. boris bubbanov

I think a better solution is Mixed Use Development.

Just stop with all this commuting.

Instead of more of this Mobile Office stuff, let's start putting our residences over our offices and start building smaller neighborhood schools. Although of course, guns mess that up. Anyway, I think people eat better when they stop and pick up for dinner, what raw ingredients they intend to cook that night.

The future of automobiles is in recreation and escape, not really in day to day transport at all.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.