Where do you keep all your junk?

Discussion in 'Shock Brother's DIY Amps' started by TelZilla, Jun 11, 2019.

1. FenderGuy53

FenderGuy53 Poster Extraordinaire

I keep most of mine here, in my music room:

[​IMG][/IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 11, 2019
  2. RodeoTex

RodeoTex Poster Extraordinaire

I finally just broke down and put all my guitar parts on the wall. Not exactly organized but at least I know my parts are somewhere within that concentrated area.
    20190611_175718.jpg
    When I commit to doing a build I dedicate a plastic tub to all the parts, ahead of time and with a checklist inside each container.
    20190611_175747.jpg

3. schmee

schmee Poster Extraordinaire

In the way for everything else I want to access. Or once a year I reorganize it and it's in the way.. in a new way!

4. Jim622

Jim622 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I am currently about a month from moving. Its amazing how much crap you acquire in 15 years. Not to mention the wife wanting to know "Can she throw this out?" every few minutes.

5. Digital Larry

Digital Larry Tele-Holic

Last time I looked for something, I asked myself whether it was:
    a) Where I last remembered seeing it
    b) Where it should logically be, assuming I have a logical organization scheme (which I don't)

It turned out to be (a) which is there first place I looked. Then I wondered where I should put it. I decided to put it back where it had been, even though it didn't make sense, since I was likely to remember where it was. Sometimes I put things where it would make sense to put them and then I can't find them.

If that makes any sense, or maybe I should just go talk about it with a professional.

FRANKENJAG likes this.
  6. RodeoTex

RodeoTex Poster Extraordinaire

I always joked with my wife that if we ever moved I'd pack her stuff and she could pack mine. We could probably move with just what would fit in the car.

telemnemonics likes this.
  7. jimash

jimash Friend of Leo's

I have a closet. cables, tubes, strings, drum heads, mic stands, boxes of parts for things I don't have anymore. Soldering guns, instruction books, and still room for it to double as an amp iso booth.

RodeoTex likes this.
  8. TelZilla

TelZilla Friend of Leo's

Seems like a pretty good system.

RodeoTex likes this.
  9. RollingBender

RollingBender Tele-Holic Vendor Member

Common conversation with Mrs Bender.

Me, “Where is my (insert random part here)”?

Wife, “I don’t know. Keep track of your own junk”.

Me, “Last time I had it, I left it laying on the kitchen table. I never put anything away so you must have moved it”.

Axis29 likes this.
  10. LudwigvonBirk

LudwigvonBirk Tele-Holic

For electronic parts, plastic fishing tackle boxes stacked on Home Depot HDX racks. (I live in the swamp so pretty much everything is in little labelled ziplocs inside)

11. Steve 78

Steve 78 Tele-Afflicted

I keep old pedal, stewmac, etc. boxes. I try to fit project parts into these (1 box per guitar). If I take something off, I've learned (the hard way of course) to stick it in a ziploc bag with a note saying what it is and where it came from. Pickups tend to be put in the packaging that came with the replacement pickups. And it all goes into crappy plastic kids drawers that have been relegated to the garage.

I would not recommend this as optimal.

Luckily, I don't have that many projects but if I ever retire, I'm gonna need a new system!

12. DugT

DugT Tele-Holic

I have several old dressers that I use to organize things. I good old well built dressers used on Craig's List. The more drawers the better, Smaller drawers are more rare and prefered.

These are my dedicated guitar parts and tools drawers. The top part is from Harbor Freight. It is cheap but it works well enough. The lower part is from Craig's List.

201906115Ds-3574.jpg

13. NewKid

NewKid Tele-Meister

All my guitar gear is in my bedroom.

I keep my three pedals that I seldom use in the top drawer of my bedside nightstand.

I have a box for string changing and guitar set-ups next to my leather chair. There’s a 10-ft and 18-ft cable in a zippered pouch next to it.
    I have about 20 picks I seldom use in a carved wood box next to a metronome I truly never use on the windowsill.

Road Worn 50’s Tele and Classic Player Jazzmaster in the closet with my Henriksen JazzAmp Ten, two great mandolins and a custom tenor ukulele.

American Special Tele is what I play everyday and it’s on a guitar stand on the other side of my leather chair. The Yamaha THR10C is my main amp and I use a Line 6 G10 Relay wireless system.

Also out on a guitar stand is my Froggy Bottom parlor guitar that I love just looking at and play every other day.

Overall very happy with my relatively minimal set-up.

14. DHart

DHart Friend of Leo's

My first thought: Junk... belongs in da trunk! :lol:

Guitar parts, I put into zip lock bags, sorted by category. All the bags reside in two large plastic tubs.

Works pretty well.... and inexpensive.

Keep at it long enough and you'll find that socket.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2019 at 6:22 PM
    Chunkocaster likes this.
  15. Todd Stock

Todd Stock TDPRI Member

We run a guitar repair and build shop, rather than an amp service, so the stuff that works for us is more skewed towards that than straight electronics. Besides building up the bench amps (the Micro Deluxe is hiding under the T-bench in two shots showing the common hardware storage, and the second Micro Bassman is on the bench in another shot), we pass most tagboard and P2P work onto a local shop with far more expertise than we currently possess.

Main storage for small hardware and parts is in 6 AkroMils parts storage boxes...we are in the process of digging out all the stuff squirreled away in garage, spare bedrooms, the back storage room, etc. and transferring it to labeled bins. The two upper units were just added a month ago or so to handle some of the stuff currently stored in flat trays...I just need more label tape.
    ebench1.jpg

Project and larger parts storage, as well as bulk supply storage sits in the back room (400+ SF of space with 7' headroom, so ideal for long-term storage). The plastic shoe boxes from a big box store run about $1 each, so cheap, flexible storage that makes transport to point of use easy.
    BackStorage1.jpg

Common hardware is currently stored under the T-bench in the northwest corner of the shop, but most of that will be moved to parts boxes over the next few months. This sort of storage works if it's stacked in an area of the shop that does not see much traffic, but putting it under a bench that gets used a lot just creates a traffic jam. The little Micro Deluxe makes an awesome bench amp, and sticking it in an otherwise dead corner under the T-bench works better than having it either wall-mounted or chewing up bench top space.

UnderBenchStorage1.jpg

I mentioned we are not a dedicated electronics and amp service, so this might not be as applicable for those that are headed in that direction, but the slat wall system we use is a flexible one for those with either framed, unfinished walls or bare concrete or block. For us, having most of the stuff we use on a common basis in the main part of the shop (1200 SF with 8' headroom) and readily visible avoids wasting time digging through piles of jigs or fixtures, or rooting through cardboard boxes, bags, or large bins for some tiny part or piece of hardware. We label project boxes (collections of parts already allocated to a project or repair) with temporary blue tape labels, while general parts and specialty tool sets not already in one of the roll-arounds get a permanent printed label.

These two shots are included for some of the storage ideas for supplies, etc. The twin buffers are on the same north wall of the shop for orientation. Still need a cart for the 'scope and other test gear that - while necessary - does not fit in the current electronics bench space (which is mostly for guitar and other instrument electronics).

UnderbenchStorage2.jpg NorthWallMain1.jpg

Last edited: Jun 12, 2019 at 7:53 AM
    awasson, FRANKENJAG, DHart and 3 others like this.
  16. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Friend of Leo's

I'm surprised no one has said they tuck it into their sock yet.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2019 at 7:58 AM
  17. Greggorios

Greggorios Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

...and the Container Store... A neat nut's paradise, THE source for the organizationally challenged.

https://www.containerstore.com/s/garage/1

DHart likes this.
  18. Axis29

Axis29 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

I don't feel so bad now....

I moved across the country last year. I've been in construction, and specifically remodeling for longer than I wish to admit. Wanna talk about a pile of crap I kept 'just in case'? Oooof.

I had 5 gallon buckets full of unsorted screws and nails and hinges and little bent pieces of wire and loose wire nuts of assorted colors and sizes... Then, there were the milk crates full of pvc and copper pipe fittings and electric boxes... It went on for days! Crap, crap and more crap. I had a yard sale and sold it all by the bucket load for cheap! I just wanted to get rid of it.

I sold all kinds of stuff, tools, parts, everything. I knew my life was changing, I knew I would be shifting my work focus and also knew that shipping a 15 year old contractor table saw across the country was probably just dumb. So, I got rid of more of it than my wife imagined I would be able to get rid of. But, it was all worth it!

BUT, did I get rid of any of the guitar and amp related stuff? Oh hell no! LOL . Well, in all honesty, I did get rid of some of it.

Sadly, we are still trying to get rid of our house back east. So, it's all sitting in cardboard boxes in storage... Not really that organized, although I did try. When we get ready to buy, I'll be looking at workshop space as part of the deal and will be trying to re-organize on this end.

Wait, did you listen in to the conversation I had with my wife just the other day?

I will be taking a few peeks at @Todd Stock's post and grabbing some ideas. I was just searching for small parts storage to post to the other recent thread about small parts storage and came across those Akromills bins... I'll be investing in some of those for sure!

19. David Barnett

David Barnett Doctor of Teleocity

I dress to the left.

DHart likes this.
  20. awasson

awasson Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

This sounds pretty familiar to me... Maybe not sock but sock drawer for sure.

So for the last year and a half I’ve been sorting out my dad’s estate. He had a lot of stuff and was a serious tube amp guy. He built his first amp when he was 14 years old and was still building amps 70 years later when he passed away. Anyone who knew him, knew of his obsession with electronics and audio.

When my brother and I were sorting through his closets and dressers I took one dresser, my brother took the other. In the one I was going through, every drawer contained components and test equipment as well as socks, underwear, t-shirts and sweaters. I pulled out more than 50 boxes of tubes from the dresser along with several volt/ohm meters, batteries, RCA cables, tube sockets, rolls of silver solder, etc... To lighten the mood, I’d shout out “found some tubes” whenever I’d find tubes in places you wouldn’t expect to find them, like a cutlery drawer, linen closet or sock drawer.

Jim622, Chunkocaster and Piggy Stu like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.