Where do you keep all your junk?

Discussion in 'Shock Brother's DIY Amps' started by TelZilla, Jun 11, 2019.

1. TelZilla

TelZilla Friend of Leo's

So last night I was looking for an electrosocket tele jack that I KNOW I bought.

In the course of this, I ended up going through my all purpose electronic/hardware storage thing. It's one of those huge tupperware/rubbermaid things full of all kinds of junk. about 15 gallon ziploc bags labelled stuf like "Caps and Diodes", "Pedal parts", "5f1 project", etc. in addition to old amp boards, about 4 different transformers, guitar bridges and saddles, old amp faceplates, THREE reverb tanks ( I don't even like reverb. Come to think of it, that's probably why they're in the bin and not in an amp), multimeters, Bolts and screws of every description, you know the drill. When I got all that crap out (never found the g-d electrosocket, of course), I had a mound of crap about two feet tall and two feet wide.

Obviously, my current storage system is sub-optimal.

I'm sure there are tons of ways to deal with this. Just wondering what y'all do. Now, I'm just a hobbyist, so I don't need to store inventory or anything, but it sure would be nice to be able to find stuff.

I'm looking for specifics- is there some kind of little set of drawers or whatever that you find particularly helpful?

2. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Poster Extraordinaire

I have a bunch of shoe boxes and old wooden cigar boxes full of "stuff". Within these boxes are a number of Altoids mint-type tins for little screws and parts. I wish I could really get organized, but that would take away "Telecaster time" and browsing through TDPRI. :) One of my favorite boxes is an ancient cardboard box that I "swiped" from my dad in the seventies, which originally contained Twelve 32oz. bottles of Schlitz.....The Beer That Made Milwaukee Famous......;)

awasson and telemnemonics like this.
  3. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!

Oh hell I sure can't give a sane answer to that one!

A couple of threads here might be helpful, search for:

"What's on your workbench today?"

and

"What does your workbench look like?"

These threads are full of pics of fixer/ builders organization strategies in action.

For me I have workshop areas in basement, main floor closet/ darkroom/ clean bench for guitar wiring etc, unfinished second floor, dusty side of garage, and dust free side of garage.
    Some small electrinics parts are in stackable plastic tubs I can see through, basically on gallon size so nothing is really buried.
    Then a mess all over the bench contains lots of parts, and a big shelf above has lots of pickups.

Those durn electrosockets get lost really easily!
    I swear I must have ten of them in various places, some from when the darkroom was a working darkroom and not full of guitar parts.

Greggorios and nojazzhere like this.
  4. telemnemonics

5. telemnemonics

Pics or it didn’t happen!
    Hint, help me find the electro socket

IMG_0877.jpg IMG_0876.jpg IMG_0875.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

6. TelZilla

TelZilla Friend of Leo's

Thanks. At least we're all messy together. Who am I kidding, I'm just gonna throw all that junk back in the bin and move on. I have a 5F6a that I need to put new 5881s in and a tele body that needs sanding.

telemnemonics likes this.
  7. Piggy Stu

Piggy Stu Friend of Leo's

How come no one has yet written 'I keep all my junk inside my underwear'?

8. LOSTVENTURE

LOSTVENTURE Tele-Afflicted

I don't collect junk. I do have a few guitars and a lot of cigar boxes full of accesories. But there's no junk.

9. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Friend of Leo's

I have a few bowls full of parts, screws etc and I relegated a large toobox with lots of compartments for pickups, pedal parts, bits and pieces of guitar jacks, hardware etc. If I need something I can usually find it in there. When I buy electro sockets etc I buy multiples cheap from china ebay so I have the part for replacement or future use.

If I buy one of those cheap items like a pickguard and it arrives looking good and fitting well I order more in a few colors from the same seller while they are available. It's pot luck with that stuff so if you find a good deal it's wise to stock up imo.

The best part is when those long forgotten minor $10 to $20 dollar purchases are pulled out for a new guitar build. It almost feels like getting a free guitar when you have had most parts in storage for years.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2019
  10. TelZilla

TelZilla Friend of Leo's

Would you like some? I have a couple of semi functional neutrik jacks if youre interested. Absolute junk.

11. Urshurak776

Urshurak776 Tele-Holic

I'm embarrassed to show you guys the floor of our guest room.......

My wife jokes that it looks like the fender factory exploded in there. (she may not be joking....:(

12. Chuckster

Chuckster Tele-Meister

The answer can be found in a magical place called... Ikea.

nojazzhere, Greggorios and RoyBGood like this.
  13. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Poster Extraordinaire

I was scrolling through to see if anyone had gone in this direction - if you hadn't, I was going to.

Piggy Stu likes this.
  14. Asmith

Asmith Friend of Leo's

I have a couple of biscuit tins, a shoe box, a small plastic storage box and a large under the bed storage box and none of its properly organised. I just dig till I find what I need but it is getting better, one tin now only has enclosures and the other has small tools in it, screw drivers, wire strippers, Stanley knife, soldering iron, ect.

15. jonrpick

jonrpick Friend of Leo's

I turned a 2x6 closet with bi-fold doors into my workbench. I put a counter top in there at standard counter height and a 10 outlet power strip mounted to the wall. Luckily (and oddly enough) the closet already had power in there.

I lined the walls above the bench with pegboard spaced from the wall using 1x3 stock. I mounted a computer monitor dead center, hung a mini drawer/bin unit for components (resistors, capacitors, etc). I use though shoe box sized plastic bins on the shelf above (they're stackable, and I put masking tape labels on the fronts for easy identification.

I still need to clean it more often. But it works for me.

This is when I first did the closet conversion:

http://www.tdpri.com/threads/closet-work-bench-need-ideas.666452/

16. guitarmoron

guitarmoron Tele-Meister

My Craftsman big tool chest has one big drawer dedicated to “guitar”. I may have to look for it a minute but it’s in there LOL

Bill Moore likes this.
  17. draggindakota

draggindakota Tele-Meister

Let's see...I have a cardboard box of miscellaneous nuts/bolts/screws, an old computer box full of car audio parts like dash kits, wiring harnesses, lots or random bits of wire. Oh, another box with gun cleaning stuff and ziploc bags of brass for when I ever get around to starting to reload. I have a little cheapo plastic toolbox that houses my soldering stuff and has a random bunch of resistors and some MOSFETs in it. Everything else just goes on the bench :lol:

18. esseff

esseff Tele-Holic

My partner makes space in these for my guitar bits. Guess who gets left with the hard ones... :(

[​IMG]

Chunkocaster likes this.
  19. 2 Headed Goat

2 Headed Goat Tele-Afflicted

In the junk drawer - where else? Sheesh! ;)

nojazzhere likes this.
  20. Bill Moore

Bill Moore Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Like "guitarmoron" I have a light duty Craftsman rollaway. 3 drawers for guitar and amp type stuff, 1 for gun parts/stuff, and another for misc.
    They were getting filled, so last year I took and old Snap-On top box home to put tools in! (Now the top is full of meters, leads etc.)
    (I won't get started on the "Plano" boxes, and chests full of components!)

Chunkocaster and guitarmoron like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.