Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

Where do you get your belts & blades?

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by SFenn, Jan 21, 2013.

1. SFenn

SFenn TDPRI Member

Where is everyone buying their sanding belts and bandsaw blades?
    While we're at it, school me a little on best blade types for the guitar building process.
    Things like blades used to resaw maple for a top or cutting out an ash body.

Thanks in advance,
    Steve

2. bullfrogblues

bullfrogblues Friend of Leo's

I get most of my sanding supplies at Klingspor's Woodworking Shop.

And use Timberwolf or Olsen band saw blades.
    I have a smaller bandsaw, so I can only resaw 6" without the riser kit, and my old Rockwell saw will only accommodate a 1/2" 4TPI blade. If I need to resaw more than that, I have a friend with a bandsaw with 12" resaw capacity, and he uses a 1" blade.
    Many online sites for blades and sanding supplies.
    Lee Valley
    Woodcraft
    Woodworker's Supply
    Highland Hardware
    Tyler Tools
    etc.

3. jkingma

jkingma Super Moderator Staff Member

Admin Post
    I get most of my supplies from Lee Valley. Order online and it's delivered to my door a couple days later.

I go to work before stores open... and I come home after most have closed... and I work 3 Saturdays out of every month... so Mail order is the most convenient option for me.

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Doctor of Teleocity

Woodcraft for blades. I used to get the abrasives at Sears but not lately as they seem to carry less than they used to. I resaw tops with a minimum of 1/2" wide blade...usually 4-6 teeth per inch. I start the maple on the table saw and do as much as I can there and then finish with the bandsaw.

6. Rich Rice

Rich Rice Poster Extraordinaire

I get the bandsaw blades from Woodcraft. Timberwolf blades, 111" 3 or 4 tpi, 1" wide for resawing. For general purpose body cutting, I usually use 111" 3/8" wide blades with a higher tooth count. I like the 1/4" blades (10 tpi) for the ability to cut tight curves, but they wear out and break pretty quickly.

My Rikon saw is a real workhorse, I can resaw 13" maple if I'm careful. Once I sliced a top off a swamp ash tele, hollowed out the inside, and reapplied the sawed top. One of the lightest guitars I built, well under 6 lbs. fully dressed.

7. Bronkowitz

Bronkowitz Tele-Meister

Thicker blades are easier to saw straight (resawing). Thinner blades are easier for tight curves (sawing body blanks). I use a 1/4" blade for body blanks. Can't remember what TPI it is, though. I got mine from Sears since my bandsaw is a hand-me-down Craftsman. Neither Menards, Lowes, nor Home Depot near me carry the 80-inch blades I need.

One thing about resawing, for a 7-8 inch wide board for bookmatching, I saw it on both sides with the table saw and finish off the last few inches in between with a handsaw since my bandsaw can't handle it. It's not the most eifficent way to do it for thin veneers because of the table saw kerf, but my bandsaw doesn't have the clearance for those boards.

8. nosmo

nosmo Friend of Leo's

Timberwolf 1/2" for resawing. Olsen 1/4" for almost everything else. I have bought from Amazon and the prices are OK.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.