Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

where do you buy your pots?

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by papaschtroumpf, Jul 21, 2016.

1. papaschtroumpf

papaschtroumpf Tele-Meister

Nov 24, 2015
    Colorado
    A friend of mine gave me his Monoprice Route 66 Goldtop (their Les Paul copy). I think he paid $90 for it new but he thought it was too heavy and when a pot went out, he offered it to me for the price of shipping.

I haven't received it yet but he claims it was amazing for a 100 bucks (it is a bold on neck), a lot of Internet reviews agree (and I believe everything I read on the internet :) )

since it's free we'll see what I can do with it, but I know I will have to change at least one pot, so I might as well change them all, and the switch while I'm in there since I read reviews saying the switch is not very solid. Also the wiring is "rotated 90 degrees" with both volumes in the top row.

so where do you get your pots, switches, etc... from? Some "boutique" suppliers offer kits/harnesses but the prices seem pretty high for what's in it (I guess the vintage correct wire was carefully stocked for years by their grandmother or something). I'm OK with just "good" pots, not really going after the "best", and "regular" multi-strand wire is fine. do you get your stuff from the like of Allparts or GFS, or go straight to generic electronic suppliers like Mammoth or Mouser?

Bonus question, is it worth making the coils splittable? (not sure if the PUs in the guitar are 2 or 4 wires yet). My Nighthawk is splittable and I use that a lot, but it's got pretty weird pickup combos. given that I have a few guitars.
    Or if I find cheap P90s I may swap the humbuckers for P90s as part of this project.

2. bchaffin72

bchaffin72 Friend of Leo's

Aug 14, 2004
    Stratford, Ontario
    I don't need them very often, but when I do, I by from my local Long and McQuade. They stock their Fender style pots and switches through Allparts.

3. RogerC

RogerC Poster Extraordinaire Vendor Member

Mar 30, 2011
    Oklamerica
    I buy all my pots from Allparts and GFS. Sourcing through the huge online electronics places just makes my head spin, and I've never really felt the burning desire to spend a lot of extra money by going the boutique route.

Nickfl likes this.

4. papaschtroumpf

Nov 24, 2015
    Colorado
    There is that, between the different length and diameter and shaft styles. at least audio/log vs linear is pretty well indicated.

5. tlandonevans

tlandonevans Tele-Meister

Mar 27, 2014
    Republic of Texas
    My roommate has a guy, I think they meet in an alley behind a Chinese Food restaurant.

6. kennl

kennl Tele-Holic

Feb 6, 2007
    Moon Township, PA
    Bourns from Mouser
    or
    CTS from Stew Mac

7. blowtorch

blowtorch Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

May 2, 2003
    Wisco
    Right, I's gonna say, these days, it depends what geographical state I happen to be in, at the time ;)

tlandonevans likes this.

8. papaschtroumpf

Nov 24, 2015
    Colorado
    I'm Colorado, so I know exactly where to buy that kind, and it's a perfectly respectable store :)

9. mitchfinck

mitchfinck Tele-Holic

Dec 7, 2015
    Stratford, Ontario
    Me too.
    Same L&M.

10. Durk

Durk Tele-Meister

Jul 8, 2015
    Leesburg Ga
    I buy Bourns from Mouser also. I buy like 10 or more at a time, so they are a little cheaper and I always have some around the house.

11. waparker4

waparker4 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Nov 9, 2011
    Philadelphia, PA
    Hmm... I probably shouldn't say where, considering state laws and whatnot..

Oh, screw it. GuitarPartsResource dot com.

12. bchaffin72

bchaffin72 Friend of Leo's

Aug 14, 2004
    Stratford, Ontario
    Well hell, I may have seen you in there at some point and not even known it.................:D

Last edited: Jul 21, 2016

13. jvin248

jvin248 Friend of Leo's

Apr 18, 2014
    Near Detroit, MI
    Bourns pots on Amazon, cheaper than ebay...
    oak grigsby 4-way on Amazon, if a Tele ;)
    The three-way LP style I'll look for the switchcraft as well
    Switchcraft output jack, you'll want to change that and under $4

When you get your pots, measure the kohms. I usually put the highest one in the bunch on the bridge and the lowest one on the neck pickup. Higher will give you brighter, lower darker.

The pickups are probably just 2-wire versions. With a little surgery you can make them 4-wire and then split them. One LP (1980s Crate) I fixed up recently I split the bridge and left the neck 2-wire.

14. RickyRicardo

RickyRicardo Friend of Leo's

Mar 27, 2012
    Calgary, Alberta
    The Art of Tone. Great to deal with and has everything you need.

15. DannyStereo

DannyStereo Poster Extraordinaire

Aug 13, 2014
    Kelso, Washington
    They're legal here in Washington State. I just drive down the street five minutes and show my ID

;)

xafinity likes this.

16. Revv23

Revv23 Friend of Leo's

Oct 9, 2009
    Michigan
    I use all parts and love them. I'm forced too because they are the only vendor that carries lefty pots. But I really do appreciate thier service.

17. ebb soul

ebb soul Poster Extraordinaire

Jun 7, 2016
    Smyrna georgia
    I get my 'pots' from my drummer.

Hippieway likes this.

18. Durk

Durk Tele-Meister

Jul 8, 2015
    Leesburg Ga
    The lefty pot is a "C" taper audio pot. It just puts the steeper taper on the low end of travel instead of the high end. So when it is reversed for a lefty, it works like it should. They are readily available from the bigger supply houses and are a little cheaper than buying from All Parts.

19. NotAnotherHobby

NotAnotherHobby Tele-Afflicted

Oct 27, 2015
    Da' Magic Mittin'
    Pots are pots. The only major difference between one type or another is reliability and the specific dimensions you need for your guitar. Although there are some that are sealed and will be less likely to accumulate dust.

If you are buying one based on the premise of "superior tonal qualities", you're being taken for a ride.

20. -Hawk-

-Hawk- Friend of Leo's

Oct 14, 2015
    IL, USA
    Same - via Amazon.

Budda45ftw and coonhollow greg like this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.