Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Where can I get spindle sander sleeves that AREN'T aluminum oxide?

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by Tdel10, Sep 18, 2017.

1. Tdel10

Tdel10 Tele-Meister

Jul 31, 2016
    Wheeling WV
    Does anyone make a ceramic grit sleeve? Really only looking for the biggest drum size, 3" in any pretty aggressive grit. 40-60-80 would do just fine.

I burn through the big 80grit ones fast. It's there a high quality replacement available?

I've looked at all the regular suppliers. Nothing but AO sleeves.

2. R. Stratenstein

R. Stratenstein Doctor of Teleocity

Aug 3, 2010
    Loganville, Ga.
    Without looking myself, have you checked Klingspoor and/or McFeeley's?

EDIT: Almost forgot, and have you tried cleaning your drums with the crepe rubber "eraser" things? They seem to work well for me, and have renewed many a sleeve I thought was toast.

Brett Faust likes this.

3. Ripthorn

Ripthorn Tele-Afflicted

Oct 22, 2009
    Austin, TX
    There are some smaller companies that make aluminum zirconia grit sleeves. Klingspor might even. I love aluminum zirconia, it's my choice for grinding steel when making infill planes. The grit stands up really well, just make sure you clean it often and it will last a VERY long time.

4. Tdel10

Tdel10 Tele-Meister

Jul 31, 2016
    Wheeling WV
    Cleaning something? In my shop?! :lol:

Didn't know anything existed to specifically clean those. I have hit them with a soft-ish wire brush from time to time.... But.... Meh.

5. TRexF16

TRexF16 Friend of Leo's

Apr 4, 2011
    Tucson
    Barncaster likes this.

6. Tdel10

Tdel10 Tele-Meister

Jul 31, 2016
    Wheeling WV

7. Barncaster

Barncaster Poster Extraordinaire

Me too. Thanks Rex.

8. TRexF16

TRexF16 Friend of Leo's

Apr 4, 2011
    Tucson
    Just in case they don't come with instructions, you press the end of the rubber block up against the grit of your sanding belt or sleeve while it's running. I lost mine a few months back and need to get a new one too.

9. Tdel10

Tdel10 Tele-Meister

Jul 31, 2016
    Wheeling WV
    Oh, I was planning on putting it in my pocket, then using it to blot up the blood after I jammed my fingers into the spinning drum. Glad you explained that! :lol:

Obviously, I'm kidding. It's sad that some things need instructions though.... Like the little packets in a new pair of shoes that say "do not eat".

10. ndeli55

ndeli55 Tele-Holic

May 12, 2008
    oklahoma
    Those sandpaper cleaners work a treat. A normal white, or yellow gum eraser will do in a pinch. The erasers work well on files and stones

Tdel10 likes this.

11. Vizcaster

Vizcaster Friend of Leo's

Sep 15, 2007
    Glen Head, NY
    Klingpoor (woodworkingshop.com) has 300 types of sanding "sleeves" but they don't have a choice of the type of abrasive (unlike their selection of belts and disks). Much better than the Ridgid branded package for the ROSS.

12. Ripthorn

Ripthorn Tele-Afflicted

Oct 22, 2009
    Austin, TX
    Tdel10 likes this.

13. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Ad Free Member

Jun 22, 2010
    Osaka, Japan
    Those crepe thingies are really fun to use!

14. '59_Standard

'59_Standard Tele-Holic

Jan 27, 2010
    Worldwide
    Theres a bunch of things people use as a drum cleaner - old shoes/plastic bags. They all do the same thing, the heat attracts the dust to it.

15. Barncaster

Barncaster Poster Extraordinaire

Lost?, LOL, Rex, its time to clean the shop and you'll probably find 6 of the little buggers!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.