Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Where buy Celluloid Tortoise pickguard material?

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by mowcheeba, Jan 26, 2008.

1. Groovey Records

Groovey Records Banned

Apr 5, 2008
    Desolation Row
    I bought my Celluloid Tortoise guard from www.pickguardian.com

it was custom made from my template for $55 shipped

2. KevinB

KevinB Doctor of Teleocity

Mar 4, 2007
    New Jersey
    Yet another old thread resurrected.

Pickguardian does a great job, but while your guard may be tortoise patterned I don't think it's actually celluloid.

3. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Telefied Ad Free Member

As long as this thread is revived ... out of curiosity I checked out DeTemple Guitars. Their Modern Jazz Tele is way cool ... but a base price of $7,000! :eek:

4. superV

superV Banned

Nov 6, 2008
    Canada
    You are very correct. Pickguardian does not sell celluloid. Its PVC.

5. Groovey Records

Groovey Records Banned

Apr 5, 2008
    Desolation Row
    Look Super V

the majority of PICKGUAARDIANS stuff like others is PVC but I bought Celluloid from him.

He has limited stock that he got for "DeTemple", it was Mike DeTemple who sent me there

Everybody is an expert, only one way to find out call pickguardian

6. Groovey Records

Groovey Records Banned

Apr 5, 2008
    Desolation Row
    I've had a chance to play a few of the DeTemple guitars, my friend MacDaddy 335 owns a few.

I also talked with Mike a very long time one on one.

I had made it clear all I was looking for was a pick guard and still we spent over an hour talking about "MY" guitar design, his 46 Woody Professional, John Sprauge, how to shield the cavity and finally who to call to get the celluloid because he only had enough for maybe 50 more guitars.

Its clear to me that the T style guitars Mike DeTemple makes are not Telecasters. The may resemble them but they do not sound like one, do not feel like one and are not made like one.

If I could I would love to have one. Are they worth the price ? Only the buyer could answer that. Is it Snake Oil? Some is, Some Ain't.

They play like butter.

7. lonewolf

lonewolf Tele-Meister

Dec 27, 2008
    San Antonio Texas
    I had a talk with John Pearse,of "John Pearse strings" years ago, and he said that he had to order celluloid from overseas, for some picks he was making, as it's manufacture in the states was not allowed by OSHA. I don't know if he had his facts correct or not, but I know that it is truly a very unstable formula.
    Gene Warner
    repairman

8. Groovey Records

Groovey Records Banned

Apr 5, 2008
    Desolation Row
    True, all celluloid in the USA is making its way here from Italy

9. Rob DiStefano

Rob DiStefano Poster Extraordinaire Vendor Member

Mar 3, 2003
    NJ via TX
    worth repeating since we're on page 2 - avoid using celluloid at all costs!!!!!

10. Groovey Records

Groovey Records Banned

Apr 5, 2008
    Desolation Row
    please tell me these beauties are dangerous???

[​IMG]

11. Sticconti

Sticconti NEW MEMBER!

Dec 1, 2010
    Parma - Italy
    Mazzuchelli is working

"regarding the famous and mysteriuos "Italian" celluloid i have learned that indeed it was a famous italian manufacturer called Mazzuchelli who provided many luthiers ...... Mazzuchelli went out of buisiness not too long ago without leaving a successor. "

Mazzucchelli is working:D
    http://www.mazzucchelli1849.it/newsite/default.htm and a US customer is
    http://www.delmarproducts.com/

Greetings from Italy
    Stefano

12. PLAYONIT

PLAYONIT Tele-Meister

Apr 23, 2007
    hamburg, NY
    Nothing like resurrecting an old thread....... This guitar with Cellulose Nitrate guard is going on 3 years with no shrinkage and without burning the house down.. I will add though this guitar is only cased when transported and sits in a stand or wall hook when home.....

This guard was made from .125" Autumn Sunset sheet from ---

http://www.axinc.net/category_s/47.htm

Was cut on a router with pattern bit... It polishes nice (through 2500 grit paper) and has a nice richness to it as well as the binding strips I use from them...... Downside it ain't cheap !!! the only precaution I take is keeping a wet towel in a bucket while working it just in case, but have not come even close to having any issues that would warrant that measure.

Attached Files:

13. Spitfire7

Spitfire7 TDPRI Member

Apr 8, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA

14. vickde

vickde NEW MEMBER!

Sep 9, 2009
    Orlando, FL
    As long as this thread is once again alive - I wanted to correct some bad chemistry. Cellulose nitrate is celluloid. Cellulose acetate is rhomboid (a trademark, I believe), and also known by a variety of other names. Plexiglass is poly(methyl methacrylate), and has nothing to do with the above compounds. Poster must have confused acetate and acrylate.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.