Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Where buy Celluloid Tortoise pickguard material?

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by mowcheeba, Jan 26, 2008.

1. mowcheeba

mowcheeba Tele-Holic

Jul 31, 2005
    Santiago, Chile
    I have looked around but can't find this kind of pickguard
    or pickguard material. 1-ply would be great.
    Anyone know where I can get some?
    All I find is the regular Tortoise shell pickguard. I want something like
    this one on the DeTemple.
    [​IMG]

2. Robert(og)

Robert(og) Tele-Meister

Jan 24, 2008
    crawfordsville In.
    i have a bass guard that resembles that, its two ply, black and then tort, its from a memphis bass from around the 80's
    honestly i have never seen stuff like that for sale, the best bet for tort tho, i think is thru grizzley they seem to be the cheapest and its decent stuff.
    the stewmac stuff is nice cuz it has that 5 ply look, but thats 4 more than you want.......
    every now and again i see big sheets of interesting guard material on ebay.

3. stephent2

stephent2 Poster Extraordinaire

Jun 22, 2003
    Georgia/Minnesota
    I remember reading on the DeTemple site it's "Italian" Celluloid, that's why a pickguard from him is...... let me quote from his site,

Hand-Made Italian celluloid pickguard -- $275.00

for The Look at a better price try,

http://www.grevenguitars.com/tortis.htm

4. TELE_BLUES

TELE_BLUES Tele-Afflicted

I know lmii.com has sheet stock tro-tis if i remember a sheet around 7"x12" was $60.00 or so.I don't know of anyone making a decent 'shell guard,the material all looks so cheap they're not worth even considering IMO.Maybe someone knows of someone making something passable if so i'd like to hear about it and i'd even buy one

5. mowcheeba

mowcheeba Tele-Holic

Jul 31, 2005
    Santiago, Chile
    $275.00 is a little too much for a pickguard. Altough I haven't seen any tortoise
    pickguard better looking than the DeTemple one.
    Thank you for your links, might order something from any of them or find the DeTemple source in Italy.

6. Robert(og)

Robert(og) Tele-Meister

Jan 24, 2008
    crawfordsville In.
    that is way too much for a pickguard, im sorry yeah it looks cool but... too much.
    this is what the stewmac stuff looks like.
    (the plastic is still on btw)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. mowcheeba

mowcheeba Tele-Holic

Jul 31, 2005
    Santiago, Chile
    The Stew Mac is not that bad but I am going to look some more. You seem to
    have an obsession with Tortoise pickguards:lol:
    Nice builds, what color are you planning for the Mustang/Duo-Sonic?
    And what unearthly scale length is it on that T-Style guitar?

8. mitchelguitar

mitchelguitar Tele-Meister

Jan 9, 2008
    Sunrise Fla
    The reason you are having a hard time finding a Celluloid pickguard is that as a material Celluloid is unstable. I have repaired many guitar from the 40 that had Celluloid pickguards that leached and damaged the finish of the guitars. I have also repair instruments that the celluloid blister and pop spraying the celluloid all over the case and ruining the finish and the case. They are sensitive to heat and warp, they are sensitive to cold and crack.
    True story; The very first time they made celluloids was in the UK and they transported the sheets by rail car. While sitting in the rail car the temperature inside the car reach a temperature high enough to cause the celluloid to become unstable and it blew the rail car to pieces. The full name for celluloid pickguards is Celluloid Nitrous as in Nitroglycerin.
    Stick to plastic so you would have to baby sit your pickguard

9. Robert(og)

Robert(og) Tele-Meister

Jan 24, 2008
    crawfordsville In.
    oh no no no no no,
    the tele is my guitar the rest were for other people.
    and the tele is a normal 25.5 but the bridge is absent in that picture, you can see the post holes if you look hard enough.
    the orange guitar is a toronado that belongs to a friend, the duo-sonic body and guard are for a fellow in europe, i believe he wants to paint it see thru white or blonde.
    and the top one was also for someone somewhere in the world.

10. mowcheeba

mowcheeba Tele-Holic

Jul 31, 2005
    Santiago, Chile
    Now I see the holes for the bridge posts, was too quick before. Sorry!
    Blond Duo-Sonic with tort guard sounds perfect. Fun little guitar I guess.

11. mowcheeba

mowcheeba Tele-Holic

Jul 31, 2005
    Santiago, Chile
    Thank you for the info, Mitchel. Never had any problem with celluloid
    picks, but they are so small and maybe not as sensitive as larger
    pickguard sheets.

12. Rob DiStefano

Rob DiStefano Poster Extraordinaire Vendor Member

Mar 3, 2003
    NJ via TX
    What mitchelguitar posted - avoid celluloid pickguards at all costs! You have been doubly warned!!

13. Gary in Boston

Gary in Boston Friend of Leo's

Apr 17, 2003
    WALTHAM MA
    I have seen celluliod burn like............. almost gasoline.

Unstable is an understatment on this stuff.

Gary

14. mowcheeba

mowcheeba Tele-Holic

Jul 31, 2005
    Santiago, Chile
    Triply warned!! I guess I just have to avoid the celluloid. Too bad because
    it is very good looking pickguard material.

15. Vizcaster

Vizcaster Friend of Leo's

Sep 15, 2007
    Glen Head, NY
    Warmoth has celluloid from an Italian factory and it comes out browner than the acrylic in Fender brown shell guards. Still not as nice as the example you show. I have a spare tele pickguard from Warmoth and in four months of sitting in a bag in a drawer it has started to curl. I now have it taped between two thin pieces of plywood to try to prevent it from curling. It has also been known to shrink and pull a bolt-on neck out of alignment.

Remember how Johnny Carson used to razz older actors that their films were still on "flammable stock"? And how the film negatives (before digital cameras) said "Kodak safety film"? They're referring to how film stock used to be made with the emulsion put onto celluloid stock ("celluloid heroes," get it?). That stuff was so unstable and flammable that it had to be replaced with a safer material.

And yet it's the prettiest tortoise shell pickguard material out there. I wonder if the multiply versions are bonded to ordinary vinyl underneath so they don't shrink as much (that accounts for how it was trying to curl).

Let us know if you find the tiger shell pattern, it's a beaut.

16. KevinB

KevinB Doctor of Teleocity

Mar 4, 2007
    New Jersey
    I don't know how thick it is but Maury's has the Greven Tor-Tis (non-flammable) 7.5" x 12" sheets for $39 in various styles.

[​IMG]

17. Rhomco

Rhomco Friend of Leo's

Oct 8, 2004
    DFW, Texas
    Try Grizzly

Grizzly.com had the best prices on pickguard material when I last looked. Not sure if they have Tortoise though.
    Good Luck,
    Rob

18. Robert(og)

Robert(og) Tele-Meister

Jan 24, 2008
    crawfordsville In.
    i just got the grizzly stuff in today.
    i haven't cut the stuff yet but in a nutshell here is what i think of it.
    looks bad up close but good far away.
    its 3 ply,
    black,white, tort on top
    its big enough to cut pretty much any guard shape out of and its a great alternative for the person who is money consiouse,
    but if you are after the real deal then the grizzly stuff is the farthest from it, but still a good knock off especially for the price,
    here are some pics from earlier this morning.
    [​IMG]
    yes my photo skills are bad, i would rather be a bad photography and a good luthier than the other way around.
    [​IMG]

19. Rhomco

Rhomco Friend of Leo's

Oct 8, 2004
    DFW, Texas
    Grizzly Material

The Grizzly material I used had a hazy look to it until I discovered it had a tenaciously adhered protective layer on top. This layer was not visually apparent until after I had cut the guard and was scraping the bevel. It is not the thin flexible rubbery stuff that most guards have on them but it pulled off after I realized it was there. The guard was beautiful underneath it.
    Rob

20. Guitarslinger1

Guitarslinger1 Banned

May 26, 2005
    Guys, I must admit getting a chuckle from this thread.

Sure celluloid is flammable, as are many things in your home.

As it is flammable, it's not recommended to store pallets of the stuff in your home (the fumes from it as it continues to cure might take you out as well), but having a celluloid pickguard on your guitar is unlikely to endanger you anymore than many of the other things you already own, and take for granted. Of course, as with many of theses other items, care should be taken not to store your guitar next to a gas heater, open fire or Gene Simmons, but you're not likely to do any of those things with your guitar anyway. Right?

I'll remind everyone that the guitar picks that most of us use are also made of celluloid. A celluloid pickguard should not frighten you any more than a packet of your favorite guitar picks.

We have a tendency these days to overreact to things and events, and should strive to "keep it real".

Now as far as the possible finish damage, and cracking from shrinkage (of course you can always buy a new one if this happens), those are factors to consider.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.