Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

when you were young .. what did you think of the telecaster ?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by brogh, Mar 1, 2016.

1. richey88

richey88 Friend of Leo's

Jul 28, 2009
    philly suburbs
    I used to draw Teles on my school book covers (remember those?) in the 70's then I got one. Went through the pointy axe stage in the 80's, but they were always on my mind (I'm imitating Willie here), they were always on my mind...

2. Owenmoney

Owenmoney Tele-Meister

Oct 20, 2012
    Oley Pa
    These were cool stories, I started playing in 1971, and after trying to keep upgrading to better guitars I finally got a Gibson LP deluxe with the mini buckers in 74, kept that until I got divorced in 77 , she sold it and my amp, so I started rebuilding with a Penco tele copy, which I keefed out, brass bridge and paf in the neck. Then bought another copy an Ibanez and keeled that too, kept one in standard and one in open g kept them until about three years ago, when things got a bit tight, we both sold things near n dear, so then started rebuilding again, oh and forgot, after my dad died, I got a tele standard mim, which also went when things got tight. Then started over again, now I have two BSB FSR w noiseless pups and two Bajas one desert sand and one BSB. Love em all. I only play at home , gave up my rockstar ambitions long ago, but I totally love it.

3. GearHund

GearHund Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Apr 9, 2008
    East, Tx
    In my high school years back in the late 70's:

Tele = country = dork.

I have done a lot of growing since then.

Now I think Teles are one of the best looking guitars around - especially the headstock.

Ira7 likes this.

4. homesick345

homesick345 Poster Extraordinaire

Jan 20, 2012
    Beirut, Lebanon
    I didn't think it was anything. My eyes were only to the strat. But with age and maturity...

Ira7 likes this.

5. OLDTELEHACKER

OLDTELEHACKER NEW MEMBER!

Feb 7, 2014
    Ontario
    "Ronnie Hawkins and the Hawks" used to pillage the countryside in Southern Ontario on a regular basis in the sixties. Everybody I knew around here who played wanted to be Robbie Robertson from the "Hawks"..or Freddy Keeler from David Clayton Thomas' band "The Shays" ...or Dom Troiano from "The Mandala". These guys were killers on their Teles so it was a rite of passage (here) to finally get your own Tele. Showed your buddies you were serious about being a guitar player. Didn't mean you were good necessarily, but wanted to be. My first was a '66 Blonde,bought new, 2 months wages, traded to a guy for his '59 w/RW neck. Sold that as a ten year old used guitar for $100 to buy a ring. Didn't buy it, as it turned out. I've been playing a 1985 MIJ now for the past 12 years or so. My favourite guitar, period. She's jealous, chased a lot of other guitars out of here, her I'll never sell. I bought her originally to be a backup.

6. stratman54

stratman54 Tele-Meister

Aug 30, 2016
    US
    Country!!!!

I played rock in the 70s and 80s. Strictly HBs. Bought a Strat in 2000. Never looked back. I also ha a 83 Strings and Things Custom of Memphis Bluesmaster. Tell platform with a LP body shape. LOVE IT!!!!

7. losrogers

losrogers Tele-Meister

Oct 31, 2012
    Tucson
    When I was young, I didn't think too much about it...
    I just thought the Telecaster was my Granddaddy's guitar.
    Like the P-bass was my Grandmothers, and the Les Paul was my Dad's.

As I got older, I thought that Fenders were for Pickin' & Grin'in. Whereas Gibsons' were for ripping solos, loud feedback, and pinch harmonics.

Today, I cherish their prized instruments, but the Telecaster is the one that inspired to buy my own brand-new version a few years back. So, now I have two Teles!

8. JohnS

JohnS Friend of Leo's

Mar 18, 2003
    San Jose, CA
    I did not think of Tele's at all until I heard POCO back when. Wow!

9. Luciano

Luciano TDPRI Member

Apr 22, 2016
    Pepperland
    When I was first looking at guitars to buy my first, I only really knew the Strat and the Les Paul. For a while I for some reason thought the Telecaster was a shred/metal guitar and avoided them because that's not my style. Then Let It Be Became my favorite album and "How Many More Times" my favorite song and I got back into Tom Petty and I figured out what it really was and my first guitar ended up being a Squire Tele.

10. AJ Love

AJ Love Friend of Leo's

Jul 10, 2005
    Madison WI
    I always thought Telecasters were cool. As a teenager, Prince was one of my favorites. Always liked the Rolling Stones too. As I got into my early 20's I loved listening to Albert Collins & Muddy Waters

8barlouie likes this.

11. Racer5

Racer5 Tele-Afflicted

Dec 27, 2010
    San Antonio, TX
    Younger than some here... I feel like the first two times I remember noticing a tele were Thom Yorke's sunburst Apple Custom and Harrison's rosewood. I suppose they were both around the time that I started noticing guitars in general. Loved em both!

12. Fiat_cc

Fiat_cc Tele-Meister

Oct 8, 2016
    Melbourne, Australia
    I've always had a soft spot for Tele's. I'm 33, and growing up my dad had a little green book which, I think, was called the Fender Handbook. My two favourites were the Tele Deluxe and Jaguar.
    My dad played in punk bands in the late 70's and early 80's and played a modded 70's standard Tele (Dimarzio hot Strat pickup in the neck position), but it got pinched before I was born, but I always thought it looked cool in photos. He was playing a 60's Maton Fyrbyrd for a long time, which I thought was the coolest.

My first guitar was actually a Monterey Jazz Bass copy in translucent red, which I put MEC active pickups in (it was a great bass). Then a Yamaha 5 string bass. When I finally bought an electric 6 string guitar I was 19, and found an early 80's Morris 72 Tele Deluxe copy in a second hand shop, and haven't looked back. I just finished a Warmoth Tele Deluxe build, and next will probably be a 72 Thinline.

13. T Prior

T Prior Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 17, 2003
    Charlotte NC
    It' hard to read the whole thread but I read a bunch.

1st, DEFINE YOUNGER !

When I was young it was 40 or 50 years ago compared to some , which may have been 5 years ago. BIG difference.

When I went to Manny's or Rudys on 48th Street NYC to buy my 1st Tele, 1965, there were no Squires, no Chinese , no MIM, no MIJ . You asked for a Telecaster , you had two choices, color and neck.

Back then we could never have imagined a world with guitars from all over the planet as a choice.

Basically at the time it was a Gibson, a Gretsch , Guild or a Fender for choices. Sure a few others were around but not really taken seriously, well maybe the Ricks because of John and the Byrds.

I bought my 1st Tele from Rudy because thats what I could afford. Nobody talked specs or neck shape or pups, that dialog didn't exist yet. We talked price. It was a Fender , although a cheap one, it was still a Fender. Strats were becoming the guitar of the day at the time, the J Masters and Jaguars were kinda fading off. After my 1st Tele I did go to a 62 Strat for a while but it really wasn't doing it for me so back to the Tele's I went and I'm still there. I wasn't a fan of country music at the time but I learned PDQ about the Tele and it's popularity .

My brain is trained, my mind is trained. I'm stuck in 1965, it has to say FENDER on the Head Stock.

Even with the Strats, it's hard to stand there playing Buddy Holly songs with a Squire Strat ! To me it's like there is a missing link !

Some of us came from "THAT" era of influence which is still a driving force today.

Thats why "Define Younger" matters.

P Thought likes this.

14. chemobrainkid

chemobrainkid Tele-Meister

Sep 2, 2016
    S.F. East Bay
    It was not until my later years that I discovered Telecasters, I expected thin harsh shrieking and I was pleasantly surprised to find out just how wrong my expectations were.

8barlouie likes this.

15. Mr_Martin

Mr_Martin Tele-Holic

Sep 21, 2009
    Cologne, Germany
    I saw 2 Teles at my first Concert in 1976: Status Quo.
    From that day it was the coolest guitar for me.

Quo.jpg

16. Miopic Chitlin

Miopic Chitlin TDPRI Member

Feb 27, 2009
    South Florida
    I had a choice between a beautiful 1967 tele and a brand new 1985 MIJ strat with a Floyd Rose and a bunch of other modern MTV goodies on it. Both were $450 bucks. I have calluses on my left butt cheek from kicking myself for buying the strat, but I have learned to forgive!

17. cntry666

cntry666 Tele-Afflicted

Aug 16, 2010
    decatur, ga
    Always loved them. I got my first thinline when I was 15.

18. unixfish

unixfish Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free + Supporter

Apr 20, 2013
    Northeast Ohio, USA
    I never though about them when I was young. I always thought I wanted humbuckers.

When my wife bought me a Strat in 92, I realized how great single coils were. Around 99, a co-worker bought a MIM and loved it. That started it for me. Then I learned that Jimmy Page used a Tele on the first few albums. Whaaaaaat? A bit of research on the internet of the time, and I was hooked.

I did not get one until 2015. Sometimes family just has to come first.

19. oldfartatplay1320

oldfartatplay1320 TDPRI Member

Oct 15, 2016
    Gaineau, Quebec
    I would have taken one in a flash when I was young, but I always preferred the Strat, because Rory Gallagher played one. I also loved ES-335s because Alvin Lee and B.B. King played them. I considered a Tele sort of a lesser line in Fender's catalogue. Now I'm old and grey, and I know a lot better. I'm doing my best to score a Tele, as well as a 335, or copies thereof. Quality copies, that is. I'd almost scored a Turser red Paisley Tele, but the seller didn't show up at the meeting place we'd agreed upon til 10 minutes after I'd left 3/4 of a hour after the agreed time, all the while on the Flats with the wind whistling straight down from Hudson's Bay and straight up my sit-upon. Poxes and murrains be upon him....

20. Lacking Talent

Lacking Talent Tele-Meister

Oct 22, 2008
    Los Angeles, CA
    Pretty hip Grandmother.

losrogers likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.