Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

when you were young .. what did you think of the telecaster ?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by brogh, Mar 1, 2016.

1. Gassage

Gassage Tele-Meister

Jun 30, 2013
    UK
    I totaly associated it with Hugh Cornwell (Stranglers) and Joe Strummer (Clash).

Don't shoot me, but I thought the strat was like the upmarket version, and that's what really good players played.

Here's the thing; as I've got older and older I'm started to love the tele more- and bought a 66 custom and 73 thinline recently- the thinline is the ultimate acoustic noodler's delight.

2. GK34

GK34 Tele-Meister

Dec 20, 2010
    Pearland, TX
    I always considered the Telecsater a blues guitar. I think the first time I saw one was when Albert Collins played in the movie Adventures n Babysitting.

3. Tim S

Tim S Tele-Meister

Oct 27, 2008
    Upstate NY
    When I was young I thought they only came in red-white-&-blue like Buck Owens' guitar.

greybox likes this.

4. guitarslinger92

guitarslinger92 Tele-Meister

Jun 8, 2010
    Athens, GA
    Being younger than a lot of the crowd here, tele's were starting to make their come back when i picked up the electric guitar, so I got one when I was 13 haha. Loved them from the start.

5. gobi_grey

gobi_grey Tele-Meister

Jun 7, 2011
    clinton, ia
    I've been a Tom Petty fan since I was tiny. I always liked his old blonde tele. He played it a lot through the 80's and 90's. I liked that it looked plain and simple. It kinda reminded me of old military gear or something. Made to function and nothing else. I really liked that. My first guitar was my 9th birthday present. A white squire strat. I kinda wanted a tele but they were too expensive. Honestly I was just happy to have a guitar. No other kid in school played guitar until way later. I became a huge Keef fan in my teens which solidified my love for the tele. I drooled over CS Nocasters in the fender catalogs. I'd cut the pictures out and tape them all over my bedroom walls. I bought my 52 RI tele when I was 18 and just bought my second 52 RI at the age of 31.

Ex-riverman likes this.

6. BenF

BenF TDPRI Member

Sep 5, 2016
    GB
    I'm a bit older. The first record I ever bought was The Shadows in 1961. I still have it. On the cover there's a cream 60s Tele just looking at me. I thought it was just a basic 2 pickup version of a strat. How ignorant of me.
    In recent years I've built numerous strats and teles of all sorts. I even built a replica of that same Tele for myself. Then I gave it to a good friend as a housewarming present on moving to Ukraine. I can be really stupid sometimes.
    Turns out, in a later interview in Guitarist magazine, Bruce Welch admitted he never played that Tele on the album. It was just a prop for the photo!

7. BenF

BenF TDPRI Member

Sep 5, 2016
    GB
    As I've grown to be an old git, I've become paranoid about the weight of a guitar. I gave away a superb 1980s Tokai Love Rock gold top despite the advice of some brilliant players among my clients. But I get my Range Rover looked after for free in return!
    So I bought a Modern Player thinline. Build quality superb but I had to replace characterless pickups. I'll probably give that to him too.
    I have a Peavey Generation in HSS that is sort of OK, an ancient Japanese strat copy and a thinline Ibanez hollow body.
    But I still want a vintage style tele!

8. WrightAllNight

WrightAllNight TDPRI Member

Feb 7, 2016
    Minnesota
    This is exactly what I thought too. Then I tried one.. boy was I wrong.

9. Vitruvius

Vitruvius TDPRI Member

Oct 27, 2015
    Scotland
    When I first started playing in 1977 on a Kay jumbo acoustic (I was 4' 10") my only knowledge of electric guitars was via a Bells of London catalogue that my uncle gave me (I loved the look of Rickenbakers).

A couple of years later I become aware that Mark Knopfler and Nile Rogers played Strats and I loved their playing, but Wilco Johnson and Joe Strummer played Teles.

Teles were cooler! Teles were for mavericks!

10. Steerforth

Steerforth Tele-Afflicted

May 17, 2009
    Arkansas
    One of the first guitars that I played when I was a kid was an old pre-CBS Telecaster. It was just a reasonably priced second hand guitar back then, but man, would I like to have it back today! It was a little rough around the edges, had a maple fretboard, but I'm not sure about much else other than it was very old already when I got it. It sounded good and played like a dream. I was pretty young and didn't know much about guitars back in those days. Anyway, that did it for me. I've been a Telecaster fan ever since.

11. cigarman513

cigarman513 TDPRI Member

Mar 14, 2014
    Boston
    I'm young.. 23.. I love them... When i saw younger I still loved em'..

I really love Esquires!!

12. PenCapChew

PenCapChew TDPRI Member

Aug 22, 2015
    Laurens, S.C.
    I thought they were the ugliest guitars I'd ever seen to be completely honest. I thought I would never own one but... yeah. I love my tele :p

13. fstempleton

fstempleton Tele-Meister

Jul 15, 2003
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Teles were basic, uncomfortable, ice picky bridge p/u, hard to play, waaayyy below a strat, and I never wanted one. In 1979 I turned down the opportunity to buy a blonde '68 tele in essentially new condition for $125. The same seller had a '73 SG that I bought for $175 and still have; man I wish I'd got the tele also!
    I finally succumbed to the tele bug several years ago, and now play my coppercaster in rotation with the SG and strats.

14. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied Ad Free Member

Seems to me virtually all of you guys had a TV in your household at the pivotal times of your nascent playing years. We didn't.

Or we didn't after 1962 I think it was. And so I received music primarily from radio and from singles. Some singles had art with guitars on them, but most did not. And even when a cover shot for a single was composed, they put the Telecaster or Esquire in the back where you couldn't see it.

My idea of a "country and western" electric guitar was a Gretsch Chet Atkins. The real guitars I identified with country were those big flat topped acoustics the front men played.

I'd first learned drums, then wind instruments and then my parent bought an upright Cable Nelson and I spent a lot of time pounding on that, and on my grandparents' Kimball and on a neighbor's Steinway. I realized playing horns, saxes was a dead end since you couldn't sing and play simultaneously. There was a little "prop" acoustic guitar but it was just barely playable so I used it only late at night after "piano hours". I played various clarinets in school concert band and in marching band I was the utility guy who kept the number of baritones (horns!) or alto or bass clarinets a even number. I really lacked the visual obsessive thing most adolescents had as to guitars.

Suddenly I found myself with a chance to join a pop rock band (for my singing ability) and I needed a guitar fast and needed to learn to play like overnight. I got this Harmony Rocket in cherry red that looked so good at first but turned out to be garbage. I didn't know any better.

In all the bands I played in in the 1960s, 1970s, I almost always was the "second spot" guitarist, also playing lap steel and keyboards. I am wracking my brain and cannot tell you what brand guitar this and that lead guitarist used. I didn't have time for that, except I'm very sure it was never a Fender except in one instance there was a white/white pickguard maple neck Stratocaster that caught my attention. They were probably some off brand guitar, solid body, with lots of switches.

I can visualize Jim's black set of Ludwigs and Dave's set of sparkly gold Slingerlands, but I'm just not receiving any input on these guitars. My suspicion is, we simply were too busy finding more working microphones or figuring out which vehicle we could borrow to load in and out. The rest of my brain was filled with chord progressions and song lyrics and harmonies and faces of girls. I don't mean to hurt anyone's feelings but the guitars were tools, in the background unless they were big and red and shiny with hollow bodies and lots of binding.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2016
    Iago and brogh like this.

15. brogh

brogh Super Moderator Staff Member

Jun 26, 2010
    italy
    Thanks To all for the Additional replies and stories,

Boris ;), I really dind't think about the Visual influence TV had, good point.

Cheers

16. kelnet

kelnet Telefied Ad Free Member

Apr 17, 2008
    Port Moody, BC
    In 1977, when I was 16, I became friends with a guy who played guitar, and he got me interested in playing guitar. I knew nothing about electric guitars, but my friend played a Telecaster Deluxe - natural wood, two humbuckers. He could also really play. Now, not only did he introduce me to the guitar (he gave me his old acoustic), but he got me to really love the Rolling Stones. So, because of the combination of my friend and Keith Richards, I fell in love with the Telecaster right away. (Coincidentally, my friend's name is Ian Stewart.)

Later on, though, I wanted an Ibanez Iceman like Paul Stanley's, and then I really wanted a Les Paul, because everyone was playing Les Pauls in the late '70s. I had discovered Lindsay Buckingham and Billy Gibbons. But there was also Joe Strummer, so the Tele wasn't completely discarded.

In 1982, when I was on the road making a living playing guitar, I found a Tele Thinline at Paramount Music in Kelowna, BC, and I absolutely loved it. I put down a deposit, but was unable to come up with the rest of the $400, and had to let it go. After that, though, a Telecaster was always on my wish list. I finally got one in 2008, thirty-one years after meeting Ian and his Tele Deluxe.

17. peppermint420

peppermint420 TDPRI Member

Sep 23, 2016
    AU
    thought they were for crusty old dudes

18. Geo

Geo Friend of Leo's

Mar 17, 2003
    Hendersonville, TN
    I got acquainted with Telecasters ~'64 and for the next few years noticed a lot of great
    rock, soul, r&b, blues, studio and even country players using them.
    I figured these guys know much better than me so by '67 saved up enough $$$ to buy
    a new one. There were not any used ones I could find for sale at the time. I already
    had a Super Reverb amp and Arbiter Fuzz Face so the Tele fit in well.

19. Nicky V Hines

Nicky V Hines TDPRI Member

Oct 28, 2014
    Cape Girardeau
    Thought they were cool but when I saw crossroads I knew they were the badest slabs around.

20. greybox

greybox Tele-Meister

Mar 26, 2013
    oregon
    I started playing in my teen years on a strat that was a god awful hippie looking thing (think 60s george harrison guitars) and I liked the way it played but hated the color, pulled it apart to repaint it and never got it back together but my guitar teacher loaned me a double neck beautiful burgundy sg looking thing and then I gave up until a few years later and got a super strat.

The tele to me was the buck owens guitar, I dug the gretsch thing from Link Wray and bow wow wow and Billy Duffy stuff but still saw everyone playing super strats and stuff and figured that was the higher end rock stuff.

Many more years later I see John 5 playing that buck owens looking tele, thought the get up looked horrible to tell the truth (hated that headstock) but I dig marilyn manson and so I looked into the guy a bit more and got a chance to play one of his signature teles and all of a sudden it made sense and I started to dig it. I watched his videos of him playing sugar foot rag and the chickin pickin lessons and realized the tele was actually pretty dang versatile and not always country so I spent some more time with them and now I own 5 (not one has dual humbuckers though which is odd considering the john 5 connection is what got me into them) - and of course now I know a bunch of famous tele players Burton, Richards, Springsteen, Mick Mars (yeah, motley crue guy digs teles)....

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.