Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

when you were young .. what did you think of the telecaster ?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by brogh, Mar 1, 2016.

1. brogh

brogh Super Moderator Staff Member

Jun 26, 2010
    italy
    Hi fellas

Well, i've read a post form Ron in the "expecting tele to sound like a strat" thread, great story.

That made me recall what I thought about teles when I was a youngster :D

I thought:
    - They were just a plank, without any kind of fashion, with an unusable bridge pickup that was just screaming and not sounding.
    - The neck pickup was muddy and it had no sense to have a single coil in either positions.
    - And JUST 21 frets, well we have some MIA frets here.
    - The palette had a stupid design without any sharpness
    - colors were dull.
    - fender .. meh .

:D aaaaaaahhhh youth ... :D

what did you think back in your youth? has your perspective changed ?

mine has .. nobody touches my telecaster, except my buddy&teacher.
    I can't just imagine being without one, the most thrustworthy girl i've ever had, can't stay too far,always go back to, and never disappoints me... what do you want more than that?

and ... discuss :D

2. String Tree

String Tree Doctor of Teleocity

Dec 8, 2010
    Up North
    They weren't even on my radar.
    Whenever I saw one, I tried my best to look around it.

I didn't see anybody cool playing one until much later in my life.
    And that isn't saying there wasn't anybody cool playing them. We all know the real History. They just weren't around me.

3. Dirtybluegene

Dirtybluegene Tele-Holic

Dec 9, 2014
    Sydney
    As a hardcore hendrix fan between the ages of 10 and 16, I thought they were boring, bland etc. When I saw a friend's blues band and a guy wailing on a 52 reissue, and then live footage of jimmy page playing dazed and confused, I was obsessed with the bite of the mighty telecaster.

4. brogh

brogh Super Moderator Staff Member

Jun 26, 2010
    italy
    what story ? :confused:

i forgot to say when i gained interest in teles, a good old friend of mine played with a 52 at a gig one night " aaaa that horrible yellow guitar "back then, then he rocked out a fatastick blues rock gig, with a tele an amp and a tube screamer.
    that was great !

5. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Telefied Ad Free Member

My first good guitar after playing student instruments was an ES-335 (thanks Mom & Dad). I held onto that 335 until I gave it to my nephew.

Anyway, while I was trying out guitars I was handed a Tele Thinline. It seemed so clunky compared to a 335. No binding, bolt-on neck, homemade-looking bridge plate. Single coils. Maple fretboard. I think I handing it back after 10 seconds.

6. Seasicksailor

Seasicksailor Tele-Afflicted

Jun 26, 2012
    Bristol UK
    I just LOVE conversion stories! :D

JayFreddy likes this.

7. ndcaster

ndcaster Friend of Leo's

Nov 14, 2013
    Indiana
    I didn't like it because Springsteen played one, and I thought he was a poser. Then I got older, stopped caring, and got comfortable with my own judgment, which is: tele's are great, and I wish I had ten of them.

Tibius Reynolds likes this.

8. BartS

BartS Friend of Leo's

Feb 18, 2013
    St. louis MO
    When I first started playing I would of taken any electric guitar. I got my first as a present on the the holidays and it was like the most amazing thing that ever happen to me at that time I could remember. It was one of the epiphone wilnshire/cornet everyone goes nuts about these days. I swear they are some of the worst instruments anyone has ever made don't know why people buy them. After that I started learning about guitar brands and types and the strat just fit me. Just kind of didn't really consider a tele. It was kind of for old guys which is fitting. Now that I am older I want a really nicely made by myself tele so bad and a strat but a bit classier. Still a strat just a brand new one that I make that reflects where I am at in life.

9. alnico357

alnico357 Tele-Meister

Jun 2, 2015
    Arkansas
    Around 1972 or so our band's rhythm player bought one. I played it and remembered it as a good sounding versatile guitar. I then totally ignored Telecasters until purchasing an American Standard in 2013. I like the "slab of wood with a neck bolted on" mojo. Being a humbucker guy, the Telecaster will never replace my Carvin DC, but it is fun to play.

10. Fendereedo

Fendereedo Friend of Leo's

Jan 1, 2014
    .UK
    I can't really say when, but I always liked the look of them. My main love was for Strat's, somewhere along the line I managed to push the Strat over a slight bit in my heart to make room for Tele's. Now I love both equal, but as we all know they are very different animals to try and tame.

Steve112 likes this.

11. fendertx

fendertx Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Nov 12, 2008
    Houston
    I was chasing a Tele without realizing it. I had graduated from a Charvel to a Strat and played that Strat for a few years. I started telling people at the shop I wanted to change the pickups in the Strat to something "brighter". Every answer was "you want a Tele not new pickups." I finally bought the first Tele from H&H music in 92 or so.

12. chris m.

chris m. Friend of Leo's

My first good guitar was a black Fender Tele that I got used in about 1976 from a pawn shop for $130. I sold it in about 1979 for $190 so I could use the money towards a brand new Ibanez Iceman, which later got sold for a Charvel because I wanted a Floyd Rose. I wanted to play hard rock and heavy metal and I thought that the Tele just wasn't for me. I love Teles now and nowadays I sure wish I had kept that one that I had at the time. It would be worth thousands today (if it wasn't destroyed or altered) although truth be told it was no better than the Teles I have now.

JayFreddy likes this.

13. KK Jale

KK Jale Tele-Meister

Oct 18, 2005
    UK
    I can remember absorbing guitar catalogues in the mid-'70s (Bells of Surbiton, anyone?) and having those shapes and designs burned onto my synapses.

The Telecaster didn't cut it. It looked so staid and boring against the devilish SG and the swoopy Strat.

To be honest, in that institution beige colour and that clunky straight edge to the pickguard, it looked like a piece of obsolete medical equipment.

Ira7 likes this.

14. TheletterJ

TheletterJ Tele-Afflicted

Aug 13, 2014
    Rochester, NY
    I hated Teles when I was young. Really, I thought they were the ugliest guitars ever made and I couldn't fathom why anyone would play one.

I guess Telecasters are like IPAs: an acquired taste that comes with experience, experimentation, and maturity. When I was young I was an SG fanatic and really loved all things Gibson. It was only a few years ago that I came to the realization that single coils just works better for my style of play. After discovering that I was always a Strat player at heart, about two years ago I somehow caught the Telecaster bug. Now all I own are single coil Fender guitars.

15. Controller

Controller Friend of Leo's

Jun 11, 2010
    Montana
    I was a knucklehead. I thought Teles were ugly and plain and no one that I was aware of played one or looked like I wanted to look. I loved the sound but I just didn't know it. I didn't like Strats either. I guess it just took decades for the fog to lift. Once I realized what I had been missing, Oh Mama! I still play other guitars but nothing gets me like a Tele.

fender68 likes this.

16. beyer160

beyer160 Tele-Holic

Aug 11, 2010
    On Location
    As a kid, I liked Strats because they looked cool and had a whammy bar. Teles looked like caveman guitars by comparison. These days I appreciate the utilitarian simplicity of the Tele.

But, truth be told, my favorite guitars are Jazzmasters.

Jazzerstang likes this.

17. McGlamRock

McGlamRock Friend of Leo's

I thought teles were ugly and all my heroes (mostly rock guys) were best known for playing Strats.

the singer in the band I play with, he is not a tele guy at all. His face grimaces whenever I bring a tele to rehearse! He's a good guy though, so I don't hold it against him :)

18. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Ad Free Member

Jun 22, 2010
    Osaka, Japan
    They weren't on my radar either when I first started out. Didn't even know enough to have a stereotype about them. Bought mine when I was looking for a guitar to leave at the office. Chose it because it was CAR, and I'd always wanted a CAR Kawasaki 125 when I was a kid. :lol: Didn't have an opinion on the bridge, the PUs or anything. Basically just stumbled in here...

19. Outspan79

Outspan79 Tele-Meister

Jan 1, 2013
    Dublin
    I didn't really get the Telecaster when I first got interested in electric guitars. I didn't like the delicate looking headstock and I thought the unfinished look of the bridge was very odd.

It wasn't until I went guitar shopping and tried every guitar I could get my hands on. I was mainly looking at Strats and Les Pauls but I tried Mustangs, Explorers and a few hollow bodies. Then I picked up a Baja Tele and instantly fell in love with it.

I've grown to appreciate the look of a nice Tele.

20. Chicago Matt

Chicago Matt Tele-Afflicted

Aug 23, 2014
    Woodstock
    I felt like the Telecaster was really a Stratocaster prototype. I still do to an extent. The 3 saddle bridge not allowing for precise intonation seemed like a mistake that was corrected in the Strat. Other things like lack of body contouring, 2 pickups instead of 3, not to mention the lack of "tremelo" also supported my conclusion. I love the Strat neck for Blues, just untouchable IMO, and the 2 and 4 quack positions can't be had with anything else. I dig the full and quacky sound of the middle pickup alone too.

BUT... that being said. I LOVE my Telecaster. If I could only have one guitar to gig with, it would still be a Strat (a Clapton), but I find myself pulling out the Tele more and more. Nothing compares to the Tele bridge pickup mounted directly to the bridge plate. "Bite with girth". The middle position provides great scooped glassiness for Funk. And the neck pickup with the tone rolled back is a better jazz tone than anything the Strat can do IMO.

So I think every electric player should have a Telecaster... and a Strat of course... and a 335... and a Les Paul... and..............................

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.