Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

When We Were Young

Discussion in 'Vintage Tele Discussion Forum (pre-1974)' started by hiero, Oct 13, 2015.

1. hiero

hiero Tele-Meister

Jun 9, 2007
    Surrey Hills, UK
    When I was an avid guitar mad Teen, many a journey would be made on my Bicycle to Bell Music in Surbitton (UK) to press my nose up against the window to drawl. When I had the courage I would enter and maybe ask if I could take a catalogue... That then would be drawled over for months/years!

Here is the Telecaster entry for the 1975 issue! Blonde was the order of the day back then!

[​IMG]

2. funff

funff Tele-Holic

Jan 26, 2008
    UK
    Living in the north west of England at the time I had to get my dad to write off to Bell's and get them to send a catalogue by post! I drooled over them for years rather than months!
    Thanks for posting, brought back nice memories...(?!)

3. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Ad Free Member

Jun 22, 2010
    Osaka, Japan
    Here's the first one I remember poring over. 1976, before I even started playing.

[​IMG]

4. OldTeleman

OldTeleman TDPRI Member

Oct 13, 2015
    Texas
    That dark neck looks odd. I'd still take a dozen

5. Major Gruber

Major Gruber Tele-Afflicted

Feb 24, 2012
    Colombes France
    The Stratocaster headstock is hilarious in this catalog!!

6. Major Gruber

Major Gruber Tele-Afflicted

Feb 24, 2012
    Colombes France
    Oh wow! I have this one in French and the cover is light green :eek:

7. KevinB

KevinB Doctor of Teleocity

Mar 4, 2007
    New Jersey
    Growing up in Liverpool I would take the bus into the city and drool over Frank Hessy's Music Center window where just a few years before, the Beatles and many other local bands, had bought guitars.

Unfortunately, I couldn't afford any of the guitars on show there.

8. funff

funff Tele-Holic

Jan 26, 2008
    UK

I reckon someone slipped with the scissors!

9. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Telefied Ad Free Member

Did the Southern accent help?

10. 1hoofer

1hoofer Tele-Meister

May 8, 2013

Me too! Made me all the more determined to get working and buy my first Fender

11. Teleman57

Teleman57 TDPRI Member

Mar 26, 2013
    Oshkosh
    Those were the days! Late 60's for me in Milwaukee Wis. Metropolitan music was the store.... "Guitar City" was on the sign under the name and it was! Fenders, Gibsons, and others like Mosrite, and National too....12 years old and playing in a garage band on my Harmony Bobcat!

12. charlie chitlin

charlie chitlin Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Mar 17, 2003
    Spring City, Pa
    I remember an Alice in Wonderland-themed one complete with hookah smoking caterpillar.
    I was playing a borrowed Hagstrom at the time.

13. claes

claes Tele-Meister

Aug 20, 2007
    sweden
    in 78 a zundapp (the absolut best and most expensive) moped was 4200 swedish crowns.
    In 79-80 a telecaster was 4000 swedish crowns.
    A nice moped like a piaggio v50 is 30000 swedish crowns in 2015. You get 2 MIA telecasters for that sum. I think guitars costed more back then in actual value than today. The pricetag is smaller but so was wages etc.

14. KevinB

KevinB Doctor of Teleocity

Mar 4, 2007
    New Jersey
    IN 1975 I was living in London and working as a senior programmer. I think my salary was about £700 a year, so that Strat ("with tremolo"!) would have represented about 5 months of work!

15. Flakey

Flakey Friend of Leo's

in 1977-78 for guitarists it was a Black Les Paul Custom triple pickup with a 50 watt Marshall half stack and a Rick 4001 bass with a Sunn stack if you were a bassist.

Of course no one could afford those right away so we bought copies; Hondo II, Encores, Grandes (they were nice), Memphis,

I eventually got the Rick and Sunn stack and still have the bass with the original receipt. Black 4001 Rickenbacker with original case new $395.00 Oct. 28th 1979.

16. funff

funff Tele-Holic

Jan 26, 2008
    UK
    I had a Hondo II LP copy for years when I was just school leaving age. It wasn't bad at all as I recall.
    No idea what happened to it!

I do remember we used to drool over the Strats and laugh at the Teles.
    How times have changed!!

17. Teleman57

Teleman57 TDPRI Member

Mar 26, 2013
    Oshkosh
    My first LP was a Sekova copy bought (or actually traded every piece of gear I had accumulated +$20.00) at that very same store in the early 70's.... Much nicer than the bobcat!!! Played it for 3 years in our then basement band on the Milwaukee CYO circuit.... Then upgraded to my first "real" LP recording model in '76..

18. Stubee

Stubee Poster Extraordinaire

Jan 22, 2007
    Mid-Michigan
    I didn't know what a Tele was til I joined here. Sold a very lightweight original '72 blue/RW for $600 (doubled my money!) cuz I couldn't figure it out, and that was not that long ago. Well, maybe 25+ years, but who's counting?

I passed countless deals, but the one I remember most was a '62 Strat, original all, in about '72 for $225 ( he woulda taken less) because I was looking for my first Fender and truly said to the guy "it's kinda beat up"!

19. rebelwoclue

rebelwoclue Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Jan 15, 2012
    kentucky
    When I decided to switch from drums (and sometimes bass, depending on the band) to lead guitar in 1981 I looked around to find something in a tele or strat for a country sounding guitar- in my small town N. Ontario, Canada there was very little to choose from. Crappy Bullets and copies were the only guitars available at the price I was willing to pay at the time. Any USA Fender that I found was too expensive for my pocketbook.
    I found a newer major import guitar that had much better quality than what was being made in the US at the time so I decided to go with it. Now, I wish I had spent more time looking...

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.