Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

When was the last time you played guitar outside?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by studio1087, Jun 13, 2018.

1. Wallo Tweed

Wallo Tweed Friend of Leo's

Dec 6, 2011
    Penn's Woods
    I like to sit on my front porch and play quite often.

Every Memorial day a bass playing friend has a party and invites people that he has played with in the past to play. He has two other friends that have parties with bands at 4th of July and Labor day.

This year they built a stage on an old pop up camper frame. The center section is Eight feet wide, with two six foot wings mounted on hinges. There is a hole in the center that a pole fits into and they use an electric winch to fold it up. The floor is 5/4 deck boards. We had We had 4 guitar players, drums, bass and a harp player all on it at one time.

There is a 40 ft. canopy that also covers the back of the stage, and it all folds up somehow into one unit. I wish I would have taken some pics.

RodeoTex and studio1087 like this.
  2. LGOberean

LGOberean Poster Extraordinaire

May 31, 2008
    Corpus Christi, Texas

I saw this thread late last night, but was having connectivity issues and couldn’t post a reply until now.

John, I was out on our back deck with my wife and our Beagle about the time you were out picking on your Martin (I assume from the pic that that was your guitar of choice). My wife was playing fetch with the dog, and I was playing my Breedlove dread tuned to double drop D (for an instrumental composition of my own), then from there to open G (some Keef, of course, and I like to play Joni Mitchell's "Big Yellow Taxi" in open G).

Experiencing an evening of 71 degrees at sunset is but a distant memory for us now. I didn’t check at the time, but we were probably a good 10 degrees or so warmer. Our relative humidity was probably 60% or so, which for us isn't bad.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2018
    studio1087 likes this.
  3. Frontman

Frontman Tele-Holic

Jul 10, 2014
    Tokyo
    My highrise has a balcony with a great view, but it’s noisy and windy, not a great place to play.

At least one day each week I play at a local park. This is a large Japanese style park with a pond, streams, and small water falls. There are large stones arranged around the pond and streams, lots of trees, bushes, flowers and shade. It’s easy to find a secluded spot with a nice view.

I play using headphones amd and an iRig. The sound of running water drowns out any sounds my guitar makes. I enjoy some food, a beer (no silly public drinking laws here in Tokyo), and rock out.

dswo and studio1087 like this.
  4. Jakedog

Jakedog Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Mar 26, 2003
    The North Coast
    I did a private party gig a few weeks ago. Out on a sweet little patio in a friend's backyard. I thoroughly enjoy outdoor pickin'.

william tele and studio1087 like this.
  5. adeiderich

adeiderich Tele-Afflicted

Jan 14, 2011
    Medina, Ohio
    During the summer months, almost every day, Monday thru Friday. I keep an acoustic in my car and play on my lunch hour at a nearby park.

studio1087 likes this.
  6. Alamo

Alamo Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Nov 15, 2006
    Berlin
    Fairly often.
    todays weather would be perfect if it wasn't for the darn tooth ache :mad: and tomorrows early dentist appointment.
    I usually take this

DSC_0439.JPG

or that

HPIM0315.JPG

RodeoTex, LGOberean and studio1087 like this.
  7. StrangerNY

StrangerNY Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Two weeks ago, I played in Bryant Park in NYC to announce the summer schedule of the Bryant Park Film Festival. Big lunchtime crowd, it was a lot of fun.

[​IMG]

- D

Wrong-Note Rod and studio1087 like this.
  8. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Telefied Ad Free Member

Mar 17, 2003
    Fort Collins, CO
    This coming Saturday. Playing a Farmers Market.

studio1087 likes this.
  9. Itchyfeet1000

Itchyfeet1000 Tele-Meister

May 9, 2018
    Plymouth, England
    Sunday afternoon, I had friends here for a BBQ and we took the amps into the garden and annoyed the neighbours.

studio1087 and Toto'sDad like this.
  10. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

Jun 21, 2011
    Bakersfield
    It was decent of you not to mention that you live just around the corner from the Queen.

studio1087 likes this.
  11. Wrong-Note Rod

Wrong-Note Rod Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 4, 2009
    atlanta
    Sunday afternoon, two set gig at a private event

no pics but it did really happen!

studio1087 likes this.
  12. LGOberean

LGOberean Poster Extraordinaire

May 31, 2008
    Corpus Christi, Texas
    Sorry to hear about the toothache. That's no fun. Sadly/Ironically, neither is going to the dentist! o_O

Back to the outdoor playing thing, I too have a Jim Dandy, and it is often with me on the back deck. It is also my beach and bonfire guitar. I keep coated strings on mine, since it's like my primary outdoor guitar. Our extremely humid conditions and salty sea air wreak havoc with guitar strings.

Speaking of the fire thing, some have referenced playing beside a fire pit. Not me; we don't have one. After the house fire in 2010, we even got rid of our BBQ pit. :( I'm not allowed to BBQ anymore...unless the wife decides to remodel the house. :twisted:

studio1087 and Alamo like this.
  13. Toto'sDad

Jun 21, 2011
    Bakersfield
    I've played outside, but it's been a while. Went to a birthday party for someone and they produced a guitar and had me sing and play for quite a while. Good thing, it was then, because now I wouldn't have remembered all of those songs. :D

studio1087 likes this.
  14. Toto'sDad

Jun 21, 2011
    Bakersfield
    Just before we bought our first house, we were living in a rent house years ago, that was perfect for playing outside. It had a large elevated front porch, with a huge tree which provided shade year around, and had an outdoor bench that was the perfect height for sitting and playing. I didn't realize how much I would miss that old place until we moved. The landlord liked having us live there so much, he offered to build another bedroom on it to accommodate our second child which was the reason we were buying a place of our own. We were running out of room, since it was a two bedroom house. The wall were thick adobe, warm in the winter, cool in the summer. Nice things happened at that old home place.

RodeoTex and studio1087 like this.
  15. gitold

gitold Friend of Leo's

Mar 25, 2009
    Greeley Co.
    Last time I played outside I had just been divorced and was hitting the Tangueray pretty hard. My buddy was over and we were just a picking and a grinin. We started singing old country songs as the sun was going down and my neighbor stuck her head above the back fence. She clapped as we finished singing some Everly Bros and asked us if we took requests. “What would you like to hear” I asked and she said “Please go inside “ And we did.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2018
    Matt G, RodeoTex and studio1087 like this.
  16. Tonetele

Tonetele Friend of Leo's

Jun 2, 2009
    South Australia
    My best mate and I played a couple of Sundays ago BUT under his shady back porch on a mid 70s day. Not good for woods here to expose them to the sun and /or humidity.
    In fact I detune my guitars before bedtime and never have them in direct sunlight.

studio1087 likes this.
  17. sean79

sean79 Poster Extraordinaire

It’s been years, but now I want to again. I’ll have to wait for the neighbors to leave town for the weekend - so it doesn’t bother anyone. We only have the one neighbor close enough to hear, and they do spend a lot of weekends away.

studio1087 likes this.
  18. trapdoor2

trapdoor2 Tele-Holic Gold Supporter

Feb 23, 2018
    Nawth Alabama
    I've been thinking about doing this at the Farmer's Market about 2mi up the road from me. I've seen the occasional jam group (guitars, dulcimers, etc.).

I haven't seen my acoustic in 10 yrs. Buried in the back of the closet under about 20 banjos...need to get it out, clean/restring, etc.

Paul in Colorado and studio1087 like this.
  19. noah330

noah330 Friend of Leo's

Feb 10, 2009
    Maryland
    Saturday morning. We have a large outdoor entertaining area by the pool. My wife and I ate breakfast out there.

studio1087 likes this.
  20. hemingway

hemingway Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 14, 2012
    London, UK
    Last weekend I took my tele to the local park with my Yamaha THR5. The park is huge, so you can have a lot of space to yourself without bothering anyone.

So I'm playing away and a few people stop to listen and give me the thumbs-up. Then another guy comes over and asks me to join his band (no thanks).

Then at one point I notice a woman in the distance in a lovely white dress, standing very still and watching me. She watches for a long time. So I'm pulling all my best bends and licks, noodling for Britain, thinking my guitar is finally gonna get me laid.

I'm not wearing my glasses, though, and I want to see what this hot chick looks like. So I suavely slip on my specs.

And it's a signpost.

I was playing for 20 minutes to a signpost.

Not even the least responsive audience I've ever had.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.