Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

When was the first flat (lipless) bridgeplate seen from the factory?

Discussion in 'Vintage Tele Discussion Forum (pre-1974)' started by rebelwoclue, Jul 13, 2015.

1. rebelwoclue

rebelwoclue Poster Extraordinaire Platinum Supporter

Jan 15, 2012
    kentucky
    Any specific year? A special edition?
    Was it quite late in the Telecaster history? And, did it automatically come with 6 saddles?
    Also, when would've a plate been available from an aftermarket maker?:confused:
    Thanks in advance.

I don't know if this belongs here or not so mods, please feel free to move to the correct forum.

2. John C

John C Tele-Afflicted

Sep 20, 2005
    Kansas City
    I think the first flat bridgeplate from the factory would have been that gold/brass aftermarket one with 6 saddles that was used on that black & gold Tele that was out circa 1980-81. It was kind of cosmetically the Tele version of the "STRAT", but the "STRAT" had special wiring as well as the gold/brass heavy-duty hardware. Here is a photo of one of a black & gold Tele body (with a replacement pickups) I found in a google search; I'm fairly sure that this bridge was available as a Fender accessory (and might have been available a year or two prior to this model Tele being released):

[​IMG]

Then the 1983-84 top-loader "Standard Telecaster" had a flat bridge plate, as did the American Standard Tele when it finally came out in 1987 (I don't think they produced more than show models until mid-1987 although they were starting mass production of Strats as early as December 1986).

Now other companies like Schecter were making flat bridge plates earlier in the 1970s; I'm not sure when the earliest one of them would have arrived.

3. KevinB

KevinB Doctor of Teleocity

Mar 4, 2007
    New Jersey
    If you discount the Teles like the Deluxe of '72 with its Strat bridge then I agree that the Black & Gold was probably the first.

Soon after though came the Telecaster Elite in 1983 that had a somewhat similar bridge...

[​IMG]

4. Manolete

Manolete Friend of Leo's

Feb 19, 2011
    Here
    Andy Summers' Telecaster has a 'Stars Guitars' brass bridge on it from the '70s. I guess Fender were copying the copyists, as the Stars unit has six saddles and no lip.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.