Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

When is a band not a band anymore?

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by tahoebob54, Jul 16, 2017.

1. HoodieMcFoodie

HoodieMcFoodie Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Oct 22, 2007
    Tamworth, 'straya.
    You can see 'em anytime you like. Just go to Vegas...

2. 4pickupguy

4pickupguy Poster Extraordinaire

May 12, 2013
    Fort Worth, Texas
    Not sure it matters if the current band builds on the lagacy and is entertaining. Live music just has to be good to be enjoyed. Its like getting wrapped up in the brand name of a guitar. It just has to play and sound good to be good. There are many bands with all original or very long time members that "checked out" long ago.

Endless Mike likes this.

3. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

Jun 21, 2011
    Bakersfield
    Egad man! Does the Department of music ministry know about this?

sonicsmitty likes this.

4. Freejack

Freejack Friend of Leo's

Apr 26, 2011
    Nederland, CO
    I understood the abbreviation certainly could be a shortening but:

Seems to match what I was remembering.

Carl

5. beyer160

beyer160 Tele-Holic

Aug 11, 2010
    On Location
    In 1968, most people thought Pink Floyd wasn't Pink Floyd anymore without Syd Barrett- even their managers left them. Those people were right in a way, as the band that followed became progressively less like Barrett's version as time went on.

I think it worked out OK for them in the end, though. Today, most people aren't even aware that Barrett had ever been in the band. Fleetwood Mac is the same way.

Flat6Driver and 4pickupguy like this.

6. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Mar 17, 2003
    Fort Collins, CO
    I've played Peter Green era FM to people who discovered the Buckingham-Nicks version and asked me who it was.

I once saw Fleetwood Mac open for CSN and the line up was Dave Mason, Bekka Bramlett, another guitarist whose name I'm spacing (Rick DeVito?), John McVie and Mick Fleetwood. They were barely Fleetwood Mac, more of an all star tribute band.

7. nadnitram

nadnitram TDPRI Member

Jun 6, 2012
    North Canton, Ohio
    I'm not saying I agree with it, but apparently the plan is for KISS to go on forever.

[E]ven Simmons isn't egotistical enough to think they can tour forever.... "I'm 64 now. Three more tours. Two, if I have a life change of some kind." He and Stanley do, however, talk about replacing themselves with new members and having Kiss continue to the end of time.

Hiatt, Brian. "Kiss Forever: 40 Years of Feuds and Fury." Rolling Stone 26 Mar. 2014: Web. [http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/kiss-forever-40-years-of-feuds-and-fury-20140326]

Is that even real, though? I don't mean to open up a can of worms, but is KISS a real band? Or is it entertainment? I say this with no disdain whatsoever toward KISS. I am not a KISS hater at all. I was one who thought they should have made the R&R HOF long before they did (sorry, new can of worms!). But reading Gene Simmons' comments makes me feel like KISS is to rock what professional wrestling is to sports.

8. Fearnot

Fearnot Friend of Leo's

Jan 17, 2010
    Decatur, GA
    Actually, they did... it was the 'Rossington-Collins Band' for awhile, but that proved a lot less lucrative than just calling it Skynyrd. Now there's no one left but Rossington... and how long till he's gone? Will they go on?

Do I care? I mean, everyone's allowed to make a living as best they can, but I don't have to pay good money to watch the nostalgia show either.

Something called The Glenn Miller Band was still touring in the 60s as I recall.

9. Dismalhead

Dismalhead Poster Extraordinaire

Feb 16, 2014
    Auburn, California
    About 15 years ago I went to a party and Kool and the Gang were playing. Although it was a great show, at one point they toddled out an old bass player and stated he was the only original member playing.

I think it's no longer the original band when it's put together as a production act and uses the name to draw crowds; when producers have control and not the musicians.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2017

10. ebb soul

ebb soul Poster Extraordinaire

Jun 7, 2016
    Smyrna georgia
    To me it mostly boils down to who that voice was that sung the hit and when he/ she is gone it just ain't right. It can be any one member if they held the charisma of the band.
    Ritchie Blackmore is indeed a good example.
    Steve Morris may in fact be better, but he does not carry that same sense of dramatic tension and danger.

Teleterr likes this.

11. Mike Simpson

Mike Simpson Doctor of Teleocity

Mar 19, 2006
    Gilbert, AZ (PHX)
    Canned Heat is just not Canned Heat without Owl and Bear.

Teleterr, nojazzhere and elihu like this.

12. Boil

Boil Tele-Meister

Oct 30, 2011
    Vernon B.C.
    Depends on how you define 'a band' I suppose, if you think of it as a particular collection of people then when that collection no longer exists, there is no band. If you think of it as a musical act it can go on for ever, look at symphony orchestras or marching bands for example.

That being said I am not going to go see The Jimi Hendrix Experience Marching Band next week I don't think its legit.

13. bluesky1963

bluesky1963 Tele-Meister

Apr 1, 2011
    Glendale, AZ
    I think he's talking about these Spinners:

xafinity likes this.

14. Paul Jenkin

Paul Jenkin Tele-Meister

Aug 17, 2017
    Essex, UK
    A really difficult question to answer, for me. Santana has had a cast of thousands down the years, as has Jethro Tull - and yet I've been a fan of all the incarnations and still regard them all as the band they're named as.

When Wishbone Ash split in the early 80's (apparently Andy Powell wanting to get a stronger / more recognisable vocalist than Martin Turner) it ceased to be Wishbone Ash to me - probably because I actually liked Martin Turner's vocals / bass playing more than anything that followed. There's now two versions of the band touring and neither makes any sense to me.

Thin Lizzy without Phil Lynott isn't TL, for me, but I had no problem accepting variation in the guitarist personnel.

Now that Walter Becker has died, even if they get someone who can play the guitar a bit like him, I'm not sure it's Steely Dan anymore. Like I said, really difficult.

I don't think there's a simple answer other than to say I think there's a "core" to a band which, if it's no longer there (could be frontman, main guitarist, song writer....) means that it's just a bunch of guys playing (insert name of band here) songs.

15. elihu

elihu Poster Extraordinaire

Dec 24, 2009
    Texas
    I was going to say...When they turn into a liquor store.

16. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied Ad Free Member

I saw them (we booked them to our affluent high school) and the lineup was still intact but the vibe was gone.

No more boogie, they informed us. Sometimes bands cease to exist even when all the original guys are there. They didn't stink - they just evolved into a big nothing.

Mike Simpson likes this.

17. Flat6Driver

Flat6Driver Friend of Leo's

Jan 14, 2013
    DC Burbs

Seems like their kids' kids' would be the Freshmen now!

4pickupguy likes this.

18. memorex

memorex Tele-Afflicted

Jan 14, 2015
    Chicago
    There's still plenty of guys out there trying to pass themselves off as Elvis and he's been dead for forty years.

3-Chord-Genius likes this.

19. Mike Simpson

Mike Simpson Doctor of Teleocity

Mar 19, 2006
    Gilbert, AZ (PHX)
    They were headliner at a blues fest we played at and the only original members were the drummer and bass player. They played canned heat songs but to me it wasn't canned heat.

20. Frank'n'censed

Frank'n'censed Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 27, 2011
    Parts Unknown
    "When is a band not a band anymore?"

When you've become a band of Juan

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.